Why when we spent 30k,40k,50k+ on a MH (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Neither did I (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Agree with the above, plastic and thin sheet metal isn't going to stand up to leverage by a decent hand tool or crowbar for very long

Extra locks on doors are pointless when you have flimsy plastic windows

Get an alarm that'll make their ears bleed and use common sense when choosing where to stop/park

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having had an attempted burglary in our van at Pisa a couple of months ago due to them pulling on one of the side windows and braking the catches I was asking the same question! Fortunately our dogs were inside so that's as far as they got!

I was able to secure the windows by putting some straps round the window support arms where they are attached to the side of the window 'glass' and then round the casing for the blinds at each side - it was very secure then and would be a good way to secure them in the future but the worry is that if they then tried to get in again the likelihood is that they'd break the 'glass' itself!!!! I'm working on a more visual deterrent so they can see that even if they did manage to get the window open it wouldn't do them any good as they wouldn't physically be able to get in ... similar to the bars on the rear windows to stop us falling out when in bed - you can see them on the rear door windows and one on the side window too.

As for the rear door windows themselves, by locking the bike rack in the closed position they wouldn't be able to get them open at all.

7138-wp_20150406_13_08_46_pro[1]_900_900.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Agree with the above, plastic and thin sheet metal isn't going to stand up to leverage by a decent hand tool or crowbar for very long

Extra locks on doors are pointless when you have flimsy plastic windows

Get an alarm that'll make their ears bleed and use common sense when choosing where to stop/park
Always thought this, while you don't want people in your van , don't really know what they would Nick that would make them a lot of money apart from passports , all that's in ours is two old phones maybe the tv but it would have a job to be worth £20 apart from this its just clothes and food , we don't carry any money above £50 , no computers , no cameras, nothing of any value they would have a right shock.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
It's the inconvenience isn't it, and I have nightmares my cat would get out if they broke a window and get lost. :cry:

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Always thought this, while you don't want people in your van , don't really know what they would Nick that would make them a lot of money apart from passports , all that's in ours is two old phones maybe the tv but it would have a job to be worth £20 apart from this its just clothes and food , we don't carry any money above £50 , no computers , no cameras, nothing of any value they would have a right shock.
Yeah but the scumbag thief doesn't know that until the damage is done though

I've bought a cheap tablet (£80) which is small enough to hide so really there's only the tv to steal albeit this is well out of sight in a cupboard when we are out of the van.
I haven't fitted a tv bracket for security reasons as it would be a dead giveaway there was a tv in the van somewhere to a thief peering into the unoccupied van

Our phones and cash/cards stay with us when we go out and would be extremely difficult to steal when we are asleep without having to move us off the bed!

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
My van has very dark windows,I have often sat and watched people put there faces so close looking in,and they don't realise I am a bit further up looking at them!
British vans will always be a target,and agree,if a thief wants to break in they will find away,commen sense does play a large part any where you are.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Minxygirl has given us the answer to the break in problem.
Get an alarm that makes a sound like a loud dog, that should do it.
Etap

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I had a young chap call yesterday selling security. I said we have a good security system, he said what is it, I said would you like to come in and meet him. He declined the offer..:)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have been thinking of this since we ordered the unit a few weeks ago and it began to take over my every waking moment. Then after reading a few threads and starting a huge bun fight between those defo for and those defo against, I have come to a conclusion. Seriously think of how you use the unit, where it will be stored and most importantly the likely areas you will leave it for hours on end when out walking or such like. I, for the first year or so will be on the New Forest Sites and a few of the BritStop pitches. Will be unit be stolen? - most unlikely as the cab has alarm, immobiliser and the unit has tracker fitted. Will they break in? - Possibly, but what damage will be done. If I have the external door locks, then as said before, the damage doesn’t bare thinking about or they move onto smashing the windows. Can they jimmy the flimsy hab door? - yes, when in will they damage the inside rummaging around? - maybe not. Although terrifying, aggravating etc, replace the hab door lock and move on. I too have two dogs, will they be with us yes, but not always and can be left in the unit. They will certainly be in at night time. I had my Folding Camper gas locker broken into and whilst it wound me up that I have been violated and nicked my stuff, it was the damage done to the front end when they ripped the locks through the flimsy body panel. Yes insurance paid out, but I had to postpone a trip cos the locker couldn’t be secured. Another lesson learnt, make sure you have personnel contents cover as the gas bottles and tools, even the pegs weren’t covered.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Whilst I agree with everything that has been written so far.

Sometimes, having additional security bolts, alarms and tracking devices is not a choice.

It is often required by companies offering insurance.

Stef.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
As i have been looking into insurance for my new motorhome - six weeks to go, :clap: most ask if alarms fitted but didnt insist on it - at least the 5 I have checked so far. As the value is high, all they insisted on as a requirement was a tracker - got and to be fitted and a reversing camera. :sneaky: Extra locks and alarms, flashing LED indicators will of course put off some of the low life, but not those out to grab. After jimmying (is that a word?) the hab door an ear bleeding shrill will hopefully prevent any theft, but they have already broken in. The jury is still out for me, but I do intend on using it first for a while before investing heavily into an all singing all dancin' alarm or extra locks.
Dont start a bun fight you two!!:punch:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It is indeed a strange one.......

I have always thought that if someone wants to break in to a motorhome the doors are not the problem! The windows are so bl**dy flimsy that a gemmy bar or a big screw driver levered under the window would do it in seconds :eek::eek::eek:

I do have good locks (PVC) and an alarm......................... but really?...... PLACEBO comes to mind :cautious:

I now work on the basis that until it ACTUALLY happens to me then worrying any more won't really make a difference :unsure:

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Five years ago, our then brand new MoHome was in secure storage, when knowledgable thieves entered the site, and disconnected my van from the EHU. Approx three weeks later they returned ( when batteries were totally flat ) and proceeded to do £36,000.00 worth of damage to the vehicle.

I learnt two valuable lessons :

(1) no matter how secure the site, if they want in, they get in - and

(2) no matter how secure the site, l go and do a walk round the van every two weeks, paying special attention to the EHU.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I believe that the idea of extra locks is one of many items that as previously said can be overcome however they do have a certain deterrent effect on would be opportunist thieves as they see these things as delaying them in getting in or out of the van thus having to spend more time robbing you they hopefully will think this ones got to much security we'll try that one over there as it doesn't have dead locks with key locking both sides of the door or an alarm.
I know there are those that say they will cause more damage but that takes longer and more chance of the thief being spotted,heard or caught.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Spend 40-50-60-70- 80- 110K?

More fool you!

Street cred?

I am seriously thinking of dropping our "entry level! Ci Autotrail Carioca 02 version, fixed bed, for an E reg or there abouts Merc, Solid! Built like a tank, real wood. I think I can pick one up ,low mileage, in good nick Body wise for 4-6k, spend a couple of K up dating the interior fridge/hob/loo etc and still have Fridge/toilet/shower/dinette/doors/ windows/etc /etc/etc that the more expensive M/H have at a fraction of the price, but !!!alas alakaday!!! not the street cred!:doh::laughing:

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Spend 40-50-60-70- 80- 110K?

More fool you!

Street cred?

I am seriously thinking of dropping our "entry level! Ci Autotrail Carioca 02 version, fixed bed, for an E reg or there abouts Merc, Solid! Built like a tank, real wood. I think I can pick one up ,low mileage, in good nick Body wise for 4-6k, spend a couple of K up dating the interior fridge/hob/loo etc and still have Fridge/toilet/shower/dinette/doors/ windows/etc /etc/etc that the more expensive M/H have at a fraction of the price, but !!!alas alakaday!!! not the street cred!:doh::laughing:

John,
You will, no doubt, enjoy the replacement for your current van as much as those of us who have more expensive vehicles.
In fact, probably more, because you and Maureen will be out enjoying yours while I'm busy trying to wrap mine in cotton wool.
Stef.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
John,
You will, no doubt, enjoy the replacement for your current van as much as those of us who have more expensive vehicles.
In fact, probably more, because you and Maureen will be out enjoying yours while I'm busy trying to wrap mine in cotton wool.
Stef.

Oh you silver tongued Rasputin you!:clap2::rofl::rofl:However! am still trying to get My Maureen to agree to such a move:doh:!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back