Help-smelling gas! (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Can anyone tell.me why I am smelling gas with the fridge on please. I have been operating it fine on gas until this afternoon when I thought I could smell it so switched the fridge off. Turned on again about 2 hours ago, been sat reading and got a bit of a headache and feeling sick so went to get a drink and could smell gas by the fridge again-
I've turned the fridge off and justhe opened door.

Thanks in anticipation
Bridget

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I'd keep it switched off until you have it checked ,you need to find where the gas is coming from before you use the fridge , the leak could be coming from anywhere .

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Make sure you have a gas leak detector + CO detector

What make and model is your motorhome?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
whatever you do don't use on gas ..

have it looked asap...

it sounds like CO (carbon monoxide, the silent killer) is getting into the hab area.

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Thank you!
It's a chausson allegro.
It has been very windy here today so I wondered if that might be the problem. I'm certainly not taking any chances tho. Do you think it is OK to use the stove?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its pretty common for people to smell something similar to gas when the outlet flue and vents get blocked. if the flame isnt burning correctly, the gasses produced can leak past the fridge into the van under these circumstances. they cause nausea headache and ultimately death if left like that.
please get your fridge serviced and resealed before trying to use on gas again

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
I do have a CO detector that hasn't picked anything up. The smell is that camping gas smell
How would I go about finding the isolation point?
Perhaps best if I can just get it looked at as I don't want to mess about with it!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The fridge in our old van ( Miller ) would often blow out in windy weather, but once the sensor cools down the gas should shut off.. So something not quite right.
As said, get it checked mate

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I do have a CO detector that hasn't picked anything up. The smell is that camping gas smell
How would I go about finding the isolation point?
Perhaps best if I can just get it looked at as I don't want to mess about with it!

There are usually three taps .. One feeds the heater, one the water heater, and the third the fridge
Try in all the cupboards around the kitchen area but very often they are tucked away either behind a flap at the bottom of the cooker, or under the fridge

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Bridget, firstly ventilate your van thoroughly leave all doors open for 10 minutes then turn off gas at supply, if on hookup switch over to 240 volts for fridge, having a headache and smelling gas is a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning are yousure fridge was working ?have it checked out asap by an engineer best be safe have look under seats or in a cupboard for the isolation valves they are usually red turn handles,what model van do you have.

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
OK, so I've found the isolation point for the fridge and have turned it off. Just need to find somewhere to get it looked at now.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My chausson had the same kind of problem The gas fridge flue was dirty and the burn incomplete, the exhaust fume were going up the side of the van and into the Habitation area via the oven cooling vent. I cleaned the flue out and the jet block, then fitted an additional chimney to the vent outlet, You will probably have the same setup as mine.. The oven vents come straight in to the bed area. I closed off the access by taping up the decorative oven vent which serve no purpose other than allow fumes in and the cold draught with them.

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Thank you everyone. Yes it was working fine. I actually turned fridge to min setting as the contents of fridge were too cold. I'm on an aire so no hook up but am not worried about what is in the fridge and I have nothing in the freezer
It's a chausson allegro.
Fridge is a Domestic 7855

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi All!

I see Bridget could post a bit more .
She has sent me a text a few minutes ago to say thanks to everyone! Fridge gas is isolated and she will get it checked tomorrow. She no longer has data signal (well it seems that she has now and then).

If you think of anything you should tell her, and see she is not online , I'll do it for you. Leave your message on here.

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if its gas you can smell the risk is of explosion rather than any thing else so ventilate and dont operate switches or naked flames untill its cleared

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Reading through these shows me what an amazing bunch of people the funsters are. Loads of advice and help and people who genuinely care and want to help and look after each other. Wouldn't the world be a better place if everyone was a funster?

One quick note for Bridget ... You say you have a CO detector but have you checked it is working and not run out of battery. They all have a test button so just press it to be sure and keep safe.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Where are you now @Bridget ? We are near Limoges if we can be of any help?

Hi you 2!
In case Bridget can't read you , I'll send her a text to ask her, her exact position, and will let you know.

If she needs a place to go to have her gas checked I'll try to find one. If any of you has already been to one, along the Atlantic cost , let me know (on here , so she can read it if she get's some signal) and I'll give them a ring.

Frankie

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Where are you now @Bridget ? We are near Limoges if we can be of any help?
She is at La Palmyre near Royan. (La Palmyre1 Aire)
I'm going to try and find a place where she can have gas check
Will let you know how things go ASAP!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Latest news: I got in touch with Narbonne Accessoire here, and they gave me their partners number in La Rochelle where she can have a gas check.
She is at about 75 kms away from the place. She is now heading back to La Rochelle, while I'm trying to get in touch with them . Will have to wait till 9.00 though as it's not open yet.

That's all for now!

Frankie;)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Latest news: I got in touch with Narbonne Accessoire here, and they gave me their partners number in La Rochelle where she can have a gas check.
She is at about 75 kms away from the place. She is now heading back to La Rochelle, while I'm trying to get in touch with them . Will have to wait till 9.00 though as it's not open yet.

That's all for now!

Frankie;)
Brilliant! The MHF rescue service at its best! :)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
A few changes in the meantime LOL . Now Bridget will head towards Parc Verger, instead of going backwards!
57 kms away from there, next to Limoges is another Narbonne accessoires I will contact to explain the problem.
But at least Bridget will have some comforting time among funsters!!

All is good !!!;)(y):cool:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Flue cleaning kit?
Ferret-In-Flexible-Pipe-500x374.jpg

OP
OP
B
Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
As Sandra has said, I'm here at Parc Verger safe and sound and have just got on the internet after being entertained and fed by the munchies (Stef and Ken thank you again!) along with Armytwowheels.

Colin and Ken will be giving the fridge a going over tomorrow

Big thank you to everyone for all your help and advice Fun is absolutely the best due to all you amazing people! Special thanks to Frankie, @yodeli , for co-ordinating everything! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back