LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I am newbie. :worried: I am looking into my first real project on my yet to be built, but arriving in 6 weeks unit.
Gas and the conversion to refillable. I have noticed on a lot of the threads some picture of the set up. Now 3 questions spring to mind straight away.
1: I don’t seen to have a bulkhead regulator / big thing at the back, why? Do have on folding Camper.
2: Some seem to have a small square refill point in the locker, but those who have the external ones have a much larger round filler. Is the gas pump nozzle different for eternal or internal filling? - is this why some have snags with not being allowed to fill abroad?
3: Some also seem to have the bigger fill point inside the locker.
Very confusing if I wanted to do a DIY job and save money for more shiny things.
:rolleyes:
Your help, advice and guidance always welcome
Yours Aye
Michael

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have my filler mounted outside the locker ( just cut a hole in the side skirt.. It is small, black and square.. I think it just depends on who supplies the kit as to the size of the filler. Mine came is an Alugas system bought from Autogas 2000.. It has been in two motorhomes so far :)

If you do not have a bulkhead regulator you must have the type that screws straight in to the bottle
It is no biggy to scrap that and fit a bulkhead one

I have a selection of adapters that screw in to the filler for use whilst abroad .. But even then I have been caught out.. I just asked in the kiosk and they brought out a large box of adapters to chose from and lend to me :)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Forgot.. It is a pretty easy DIY job providing you are happy using spanners.. Though if you are not used to working with gas I would suggest you get it checked by someone who knows their way around ..
Tips
Do not use TPFE tape on joints
When finished, make up a weak solution of washing up liquid and squirt it on all joints to check them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
I think Jaws meant to type PTFE.

Having the filler point external is far better and possibly safer than in the gas locker, and you may find that you are prevented from filling at some service stations if you are seen to be opening the gas locker to do it.

Having a filler each side is also very handy on a large motorhome, and doesn't cost a huge amount to install.

Peter

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I also fitted the filler on the skirt.. requires a 70mm hole saw.. that's the nervous part of the job.. :eek:

once cut and the filler fitted, the rest is just hoses, a spanner job..

While at it, I also changed the Truma regulator for a Clesse

Attachments

• DSCF2329.JPG
    DSCF2329.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Cutting holes in a brand new unit :eek: would probably look into the locker filler, but from the picture yours Jim is sooo much bigger :rolleyes:, than the small square "locker" fillers or indeed like Jaw's external one as described above.
Do different manufacturers of the systems have different size nozzles then? Is that the Adaptors mentioned in Jaw’s post?
Spanner work I will be fine with, I hope after 35 years as a Naval Air Engineer.:D

And can these set ups be used without a bulkhead regulator then?
Yours Aye
Michael

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The internals of the Gaslow filler are for the UK LPG gun.. it's only the plastic enclosure that makes it look bigger.. the filling part is the same as the surface mounted one.

yes, you need a bulkhead regulator ..

here you go.. took a picture

DSCF2363.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Got it. Every supplier has the same connection. Body mounted just looks better. Adaptors, cos the European "guns" screw on instead of bayonet fittings.
Can I assume that these come in conversion kits or do you have to buy individually and of course the bulkhead connector would be separate as well?
and finally cos Im lazy, :sleep: approx price for a 2 bottle version like Jim's. :giggle: I will read up though on Gaslow v's gaskit v's alugas and whoever makes any more.(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
In answer to your thread title I am reliably informed by SWMBO the correct answer is yes. :eek::cry::cry::cry:

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Am I reading this right. I cannot believe Gasit can be £300 odd cheaper. Why does anyone use anyone else??

Unless it is a different system or the products are seriously inferior?

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
gaslow & gasit are the same products, bottles made in Portugal, gaslow have a massive mark up(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you go for the Gasit kit you can get a 't' piece which you attach to the bulk head regulator so you don't then need to by a manual, or auto, changeover either - that's what I did when I added a second bottle to my set up - when the gas runs out on one bottle I just turn it off and turn on the other, that way I know when it's been changed over so can then look to fill the other bottle up again.

When we got our new Globecar it didn't come with a bulkhead regulator (for some reason they like the bottle top ones!) so I had to fit one, not difficult at all.

We have had our Gaslow system since 2009, before Gasit came into existence, so have the larger round filler which I mounted in the gas locker but if I had to buy the kit again I'd go for the much smaller square one and mount it outside just under the bumper (we have a panel van conversion).

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
gaslow & gasit are the same products, bottles made in Portugal, gaslow have a massive mark up(y)

Incorrect they are not the same bottle.. and how do you know Gaslow have a massive mark up.. can you buy the SAME R67 bottles cheaper elsewhere ?

Am I reading this right. I cannot believe Gasit can be £300 odd cheaper. Why does anyone use anyone else??

Unless it is a different system or the products are seriously inferior?

not necessarily inferior.. but there are some differences between the two products

when comparing two systems you must compare like for like.. your £300 cheaper quote is for an in-locker fill point with no auto changeover valve.. plus
  1. Gaslow supply the R67 bottle.. a four hole bottle with an accurate level gauge which can also be used to transmit to a remote level gauge.
  2. The R67 has an inbuilt gas outlet filter
  3. Gasslow supply stainless steel braided hoses with a 15 year warranty
  4. The R67 has an excess flow shut-off valve.
  5. My price included all European adapters
  6. It included an auto changeover valve
these points may or may not justify the extra cost.. but when I fit, I fit the best I can afford..

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
are you not worried about road dirt getting into the filler point ?
No, it has a plastic cover on it, this was a picture of it on a friends van:

Gas-it fill point.jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think Jaws meant to type PTFE.

Having the filler point external is far better and possibly safer than in the gas locker, and you may find that you are prevented from filling at some service stations if you are seen to be opening the gas locker to do it.

Having a filler each side is also very handy on a large motorhome, and doesn't cost a huge amount to install.

Peter

Cheers Peter.. fingers too far from brain !!!

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
We bought our Gaslow bottles etc from...

Link Removed

Cheaper than from Gaslow directly together with great advice and service.

Odd but true!:)

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Many thanks to all who have contributed. It is a mine field out there for us newbies:). I certainly like the price of the Gas it system, but not at the expense of either conformity to some regs - foreign or otherwise, safety with regards to filters, burst v/v and the like or extras that you need to get in order to have a complete set up i.e. adaptors and change over v/v.
I am sure that this could go on for ever. My alarm thread seemed to::bigsmile:.
I will no doubt be back very soon with more "oh my God, not him again" questions.

Seems that I need a lot more reading time on gas first, before I talk about adding batteries and solar etc:D

6 weeks to go:clap:

Yours Aye

Michael

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
When we got our new Globecar it didn't come with a bulkhead regulator (for some reason they like the bottle top ones!) so I had to fit one, not difficult at all.
Ah - thanks Mel. That's answered a question for me.

When we got our Globecar, it had a bulkhead regulator, but in the bag of bits (spare sink plug, some hooks they hadn't fitted, a loo roll holder etc) there was a bottle top regulator with a short hose attached. I thought it an odd extra - the hose wasn't long enough for an exterior bottle.

Obviously the dealer had fitted the bulkhead regulator & put the old one they took off in the bag.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
When buying the filler, make sure it has the 22mm internal thread to attach other adaptors to.

Otherwise you are stuffed if you want to go abroad to France etc. Holland uses the same fitting as the UK.

Peter

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
@ScotJimland
taken from gas it website,
These items are our own, new manufactured and GAS IT branded stock and not simply repainted Gaslow ones.

Why pay Gaslow prices when our bottles are made in the same factory.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
the point is, Gas it do exactly the same as Gaslow but cheaper, therefore i stand by my comment,
as many people on this site have found out,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back