Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
In an earlier thread on the subject of Smart Car trailers, I posted a picture of my car on its trailer which prompted a comment by Geo on the potential hazards of this “tail-down” configuration.
I too had some concerns about this and took the opportunity to visit PWS last week as I wasn’t too far away staying on the new Caravan Club Centenary Site at Bransgore. The people at PWS kindly fitted my new drop plate (supplied by me) at no cost. As you will see from the before and after pics, the trailer with car onboard is now level and the tail end ground clearance has increased by about 2 inches. The only draw back is that ground clearance at the drop plate is similarly reduced and with a very long overhang on my motorhome, I’ll have to be careful not to “ground it”.

Brian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The only draw back is that ground clearance at the drop plate is similarly reduced and with a very long overhang on my motorhome, I’ll have to be careful not to “ground it”.

Brian

OK, you are ready to get on the ferry..... KERRRRUNCH.

Load of people behind. Can't go forwards.

What do you do ?

Better to work it out now.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Brian
Glad you have got it sorted, the issue of getting stuck on a ferry fades into insignificance compared to the trouble you may have got into with the rig as it was:Doh:
Much better to offer a solution than throw the spanner in

So your stuck on a Ferry
Bin there got the T shirt:RollEyes:

Rule 1
Don't panic, no one is going anywhere till your sorted:thumb:
Rule 2 Do not Damage your motor home to expedite matters, take all the time you need
Rule 3 Its more their problem than yours, let them sort it, you wont be the first or last

Our American big rigs collide with the ramps almost on demand, we have a solution
fitted to the tow bar is a steel or nylon roller. they sound horrific when they bottom out ,but cause no damage
If your at all worried by grounding fit one:thumb:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
the solution for grounding on ferry ramps is simple, a pair of wooden blocks, if/when the tow bar drop plate grounds, stop, place the blocks under the rear wheels, then drive on, the wheels go over the blocks and raise the vehicle up,

by the time your at the end of the blocks, the ramp angle has changed, and you have clearance again.

i know that on norfolk lines ferrys when booking you can tell them you have low ground clearance, and they will put you on the middle deck with the trucks, this one is an almost level entrance ramp,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back