Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Have just returned from the last trip of the year - probably.

Yeah, I know I'm a wuss, but it's thick fog outside and it looks like winter's here. Amidst cries of "What's the matter with you man...no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing..." I have started to remove all the kit and tut.

Apart from mothballing the van, I have a service and hab' check coming up in a month or so and the MH has to be cleared out for that anyway.

So; back to the plot. I've used up every conceivable box and crate and the garage looks like the missus has thrown me out!

Bin looking at yet more plastic storage boxes! Bleedin' Q have quite a selection, but they're a bit pricey - even with a Wednesday old gits card. I thought I might buy a few big boxes, maybe with wheels, rather than have the smaller type that don't hold a lot and require multi-trips from van to garage.

What have you lot got? Anyone sourced any cheap (but quality) boxes.
Thanks in advance; please remember that some northern stores don't exist down here :-(

James

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our Sainsburys has large clear storage boxes for sale. We use them for storing shoes and other stuff in the MH and the larger ones are good for storing stuff in the attic.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Wilko ones are quite good and not too pricey.
We looked around for some boxes a few months ago and ended up at Wilko as well.

We've been impressed by the prices of Really Useful boxes at motorhome shows, compared to normal retail outlets. I don't know the name of the company that sells them there but if you are able to track it down that may be another source.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@pappajohn Blimey! How do you do it? I've got an eight page (A5) laminated inventory! All stuff that I use. Torches, first aid box, bowls, bathroom stuff, toilet stuff, TV remotes and leads, crockery, travel rugs, 12v stuff for when no EHU, microwave utensils, Cadac, rock pegs, tools..... the list is endless. Not to mention the stuff that doesn't go in boxes, like levellers, wind break, chairs, occasional tables and the like!

Like I say; 8 pages of stuff!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I find Tesco's home delivery boxes great for storage (got some off a mate;))-simply cut some 3 mm ply into the bottom to hold small things -they stack on top of each other and don't break like the flimsy lidded boxes
terry

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@pappajohn Blimey! How do you do it? I've got an eight page (A5) laminated inventory! All stuff that I use. Torches, first aid box, bowls, bathroom stuff, toilet stuff, TV remotes and leads, crockery, travel rugs, 12v stuff for when no EHU, microwave utensils, Cadac, rock pegs, tools..... the list is endless. Not to mention the stuff that doesn't go in boxes, like levellers, wind break, chairs, occasional tables and the like!

When we changed from tugging couldn't believe how mush stuff came out of the caravan, I recon most tuggers are well over weight. With the van try to empty it out once a year and discard the stuff we haven't used. Things like bar-b-ques went years ago the vans got a cooker don't need 2.:)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

We only take stuff we use, not stuff we MIGHT use.
Bear in mind i only have one external locker behind the a frame/drawbar and 50% of that is taken by 2 x gas bottles.

Crockery, cutlery, wine/beer/shot glasses, washing up liquid, bowl, tinned food, tv etc dont leave the van...whats the point, we dont need it in the house.
We only take what clothing we need....which in my case is minimal and that always goes in the house after every trip.

Basically, if it cant be eaten by rodents or spoilt by cold conditions it stays in the van.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I have a bit of a fetish for 'really useful boxs', I've got them everywhere in the van and all different sizes. Very strong and no problem stacking.
www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/boxdetails.php

There a big difference in price depending where you buy them from I either buy them from amazon and get free delivery
Or this company Broken Link Removed

Just brought a 4ltr with 2 craft trays, Argos (online) £9.79 and staples a couple of pence under £25.
The bigger ones are normally the cheaper ones.

Always found them cheaper deliverered when brought online rather than in a shop but saying that staples do have a large range of them and ideal to see the quality of them.

Shawn.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Another vote for Really Useful Boxes... very strong and stackable ..
I have several in the van garage.. but be aware.. they are not airtight .. the lids don't seal around the top of the box.

Makro have the full range..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Free Banana boxes,,,thats what market traders use...BUSBY...

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Our Sainsburys has large clear storage boxes for sale. We use them for storing shoes and other stuff in the MH and the larger ones are good for storing stuff in the attic.

I too would go to Sainsburys.... And nick some of those green / blue baskets from outside the door... Dont worry about the having Sainsburys on them ! Ohhh No no problem there.......... Just write Tescos on them to hide it :D

Reactions: DBK
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Have just returned from the last trip of the year - probably.

Yeah, I know I'm a wuss, but it's thick fog outside and it looks like winter's here. Amidst cries of "What's the matter with you man...no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing..." I have started to remove all the kit and tut.

Apart from mothballing the van, I have a service and hab' check coming up in a month or so and the MH has to be cleared out for that anyway.

So; back to the plot. I've used up every conceivable box and crate and the garage looks like the missus has thrown me out!

Bin looking at yet more plastic storage boxes! Bleedin' Q have quite a selection, but they're a bit pricey - even with a Wednesday old gits card. I thought I might buy a few big boxes, maybe with wheels, rather than have the smaller type that don't hold a lot and require multi-trips from van to garage.

What have you lot got? Anyone sourced any cheap (but quality) boxes.
Thanks in advance; please remember that some northern stores don't exist down here :-(

James
Only plastic boxes worth while are from Staples. On special at the moment 2x64 ltr boxes for twenty quid. You can sit on them jump on them and stack them as high as you like. I have around 50 all full and stacked. When I don't need them any more you will always be able to sell them at a car boot.
Take a look(y)
http://www.staples.co.uk/64-litre-s...ckuyevNbx8Te1Oaozc-6FBoCJuXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Only plastic boxes worth while are from Staples. On special at the moment 2x64 ltr boxes for twenty quid. You can sit on them jump on them and stack them as high as you like. I have around 50 all full and stacked. When I don't need them any more you will always be able to sell them at a car boot.
Take a look(y)
http://www.staples.co.uk/64-litre-s...ckuyevNbx8Te1Oaozc-6FBoCJuXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

your url is broken.. but I checked .. it's the really useful brand
Really Useful 64L Storage Box, Clear
http://www.staples.co.uk/64-litre-s...e=200200555&Effort_Code=WW&Find_Number=358713

Capture1.JPG

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've bought el cheapo boxes before from Asda and they don't last.. they either crack or break.. just rubbish

cheap no good.. good no cheap..

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Lads. All useful tips.

Found the one that @buttons suggested, but not on offer????? Perhaps it's a local store deal???

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks Lads. All useful tips.
Found the one that @buttons suggested, but not on offer????? Perhaps it's a local store deal???
They are still on offer here I got the last four on Thursday, they were expecting another batch in on Friday. I'll pop up tomorrow for as many as I can get in the car. They are excellent value. Can you not order on line to pick up locally:)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Take a look(y)

Love to know what they are full of....BUSBY.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They are still on offer here I got the last four on Thursday, they were expecting another batch in on Friday. I'll pop up tomorrow for as many as I can get in the car. They are excellent value. Can you not order on line to pick up locally:)
If they are the ones that @ScotJimland mentioned (his link is also broken now, must be a Staples thing) then the on-line price is £16.98 with no indication of a special offer.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If they are the ones that @ScotJimland mentioned (his link is also broken now, must be a Staples thing) then the on-line price is £16.98 with no indication of a special offer.
Here is my recently viewed clearly states the offer. I will be picking some more up today will let you know.
boxes.PNG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back