Motorway Services Parking Charges (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have never paid for kipping in service areas (and never will) :Smile: I Just received a letter from CP Plus Limited asking for £80 for using an M4 service area at around midnight and not leaving until 6am.

They say if I pay quickly I only have to pay £50:Smile: I may as well have booked into the travel lodge. ::bigsmile: I won't be paying, I'll keep you abreast of what further action they take.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim we have stayed a quite a few, and we always pay; because otherwise I wouldn't get any sleep with the susan constantly looking out the windows to see if we were about to get a ticket. ::bigsmile:

First time I have heard of some one being caught though, best of luck.

Olley

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You tell them it wasnt you driving and for the life of you, you cant remeber who was
I belive you are not under the same legal requirement to disclose driver with this type of penalty as you are a notice of intended prosecution
and if they cant enforce the driver info who are they going to take to court:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Best of luck Jim.

We have had tickets for parking on some service areas where they photograph the truck going in and coming out as a matter of course. They hold the company responsible but that can't be the case with a private vehicle.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
You might get off with it but take heed, they DO clamp HGV's.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I know that you should not park there if you don't accept the charges, I am rarely on them for over a couple of hours, I must of overslept that night:Smile: I just can't bring my self to pay £15 to park up in a puddle of diesel and pi$$

Maybe I will get myself a special set of number plates just for service stations:winky:::bigsmile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Have a read of this and other sites before you worry too much about it.
Private Parking Tickets: How to get your money back inc. free template letters...

Hi Wallace, thats a good aticle. Jim the very best of luck too you. These places were built on motorways for people to have a kip, something to eat and a wash etc, it stops you killing yourself by driving whilst tired etc. The motorway service areas are not there to make money.

The problems started when lets say four people would arrive in one car each. Three people would park up for the day and then one person would drive them all to work. Ater a while every body was at it including me but the genuine punter who needed to use the services couldnt get in.

Any how Best of luck Jim

Jim
:Smile:

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Sleep eazzzy?

Hi folks,
heading Birkenhead to Dover in a few days time and will have to stop off somewhere en-route for an hour or so.
Are there particular areas I should not stop at and
is there somewhere suitable just before the m25 to pull in for a wee snooze?.
Leaving Birkenhead around 7pm Due to be in Dover for 6am sailing to Dunkirk.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Strange Jim how you are encouraged to pull in, then hammered (fleeced) for doing so!
How do the people who actually make and enforce these rules manage to sleep?
Regards Weejohn

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They say if I pay quickly I only have to pay £50:Smile: I may as well have booked into the travel lodge. ::bigsmile: I won't be paying, I'll keep you abreast of what further action they take.

Calm down - pay up.

I have a nice picture of my car from Ken Livingstone, he charged an arm and a leg for it, it hurt but the bottom line was I screwed up and paid up.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip) These places were built on motorways for people to have a kip, something to eat and a wash etc, it stops you killing yourself by driving whilst tired etc. The motorway service areas are not there to make money.

(snip)

Unfortunately that isn't strictly true.

As the Highways Agency told me, there is a long-standing policy requirement that MSAs provide free parking for up to two hours for all types of vehicle. The operators have the right to charge for parking beyond that two hour period and to take enforcement action against drivers who do not pay. See Here for more details.

As far as the private companies which run the MSAs are concerned they are there to make money - like any other company in any business they wouldn't take the job on otherwise.

Graham

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
motorway parking

hi jim
as hilldweller says they take photies of your vehicle, and maybe who was driving.
the fees they want are extortionate.
local car park in town centre were charging £95 for over 2 hours.
anyway good luck.
i normally park on motorway services, sort of puts you off dunnit.:Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:Doh:i normally park on motorway services, sort of puts you off dunnit.:Sad:

Nope - I usually set an alarm. Not that I've done it much. And I have been know to sleep through alarms which is why I trawled all through Cumbernauld one day and found a nice radio controlled alarm that you could not sleep through, in Argos for a tenner.

<FX> man retiring hastily with a smug grin.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well take another view, you expected a short nap, got six hours sound sleep, that's got to be worth fifty quid.
Thats £8.33 an Hr
He don't earn that much when he's awake:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Just a thought Jim you could claim mittigating circumstances
You Was GASSED

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries