Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Swift-Kontiki
Exp
8 yrs
We have recently returned from three weeks touring France, on two Aires, (Sassenge and Annot) the drinking water connection on the service post,was not the normal BSP threaded tap. Neither had a tap to turn on/off, only what I suspect was a fitting similar to that for which a male "Hoselock" adaptor would push into. There is a"pin" in the centre of the fitting,which perhaps is a part of how it operates to allow water to flow. The water was free, so there was NO payments involved.
I asked two French M/Homers, neither had any idea what fitting could be used.
Has anyone come across these connections,
Aire Water Connection.jpg
if so, what connector fits them please ?

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Someone posted about this during the summer and I think that MMM mentioned it in one of their features.
You need a double male connector.
The feature/post said they'd bought it from a French hardware store but I googled it and got the same make from a UK garden centre. I bought different sizes just in case.
Hozelock also do them.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Wow, just looked, there's loads of different sizes. Is that correct do you think?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
These are becoming more popular and as said above will accept the male end of a Hozelock 1/2" fitting.
The only problem is that the water floes immediately and if you are not prepared can give you a good soaking.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Reminds me of one I used at the Le Croisic aire that had water pressure like a fire hose - pure slapstick.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The connectors mentioned in a previous thread and in MMM were as follows:

Gardena 931-26 and Gardena 916-26.

However, the latter is suitable for 19mm hose pipe and should be substituted with the equivalent 13mm Gardena connector for 1/2" hose pipe.

I bought these in a French Brico store but never had to use them on the aires I visited.

Deleted User
probably an attempt to stop people washing their thetfords under the potable tap.

If you have to connect your own hose, then you wash your cassette at your own risk.

haven't come across one yet though, but will get the connectors just in case.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Reminds me of one I used at the Le Croisic aire that had water pressure like a fire hose - pure slapstick.

Chamonix is the same. My old flat hose pipe didn't survive the water pressure there. It was split in about three places after filling the van once.

Also the Stellplatz at Freiburg is just as bad.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Chamonix is the same. My old flat hose pipe didn't survive the water pressure there. It was split in about three places after filling the van once.

Also the Stellplatz at Freiburg is just as bad.
I am sure you can buy pressure reducers, Gardenia do one, so does Hoselock, although I don't know what fittings they use. I have a flat hose, I'll be checking out reducers before we go away again, just in case, although, I haven't seen one of these connectors at an aire yet.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
In Nantes at municipal campsite I bought a tap that plugs into that fitting-I had seen one before at Caro on Cotes Bleu aire.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
This type of connection seems to becoming more popular, I've found them in a number of places. Chateaudun and Saint Benoit-du-Sault on our recent trip to the Dordogne. I like them a lot as they are very effective at stopping the drinking water connection being used to flush the toilet cassette. The connector I have was bought for about 50p from Lidls back in the spring when they had their gardening equipment week. The only difficulty I have is releasing the connector, you need a tight grip as a hard push is required on the knurled ring.

You can see the connector on the second photo here https://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/eure-et-loir/28-chateaudun

OP
OP
Doneromin

Doneromin

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Swift-Kontiki
Exp
8 yrs
Thanks for everyone's comments, I did have a "Hozelock" fitting, but as it was plastic, I was concerned that if it broke, how do you turn the water OFF ? so I will make up one with a metal type, to go with my GPL /gas filler adapter, my double plug to change electric polarity adapter, headlight beam adapters, and now a water connection adapter. All I need now is a language adapter,

Roverslass

Free Member
Jul 28, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Compass castaway
Exp
9 years
SomeoneElse re the water fill on the photo in Oct 2015, can you tell me more about your connector please? I'm trying to buy one before setting off on this year's trip.
Any chance of a photo?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
SomeoneElse re the water fill on the photo in Oct 2015, can you tell me more about your connector please? I'm trying to buy one before setting off on this year's trip.
Any chance of a photo?
:hiya2: @Roverslass :welcomesign:

As shown by the pictures in some of the posts above you will find that any fitting with a male Hozelock end will fit.

i.e.
image-jpg.81025
But BEWARE .... in most cases the water will flow as soon as you plug the fitting in .... I know that 'cos I got soaked the first time I used one!:rolleyes:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
:hiya2: @Roverslass :welcomesign:

As shown by the pictures in some of the posts above you will find that any fitting with a male Hozelock end will fit.

i.e.
image-jpg.81025

From experience the one in the photo may not fit due to the flange in the middle. Shopping around should find one without the flange. This type of connector is becoming more common on French Aires, I assume it's because they require less maintenance.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
image.jpg Hoselock do a metal version available on Amazon or without flange ebay
image.jpg

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
French Aires that I know have then are the Grande Village on the Ille de Oleron and Ruggles the one at Ruggles had enough water pressure to blow the Hoselock connectors off on my flat hose I got wet through filling the tank LOL.

The French motorhomers seem to be the worst offenders for rinsing their cassettes under the drinking water taps in my experience, despite notices asking people not too, but to use the tap on the other side of the bourne.

That's probably why you see them buying so much bottled water, as they don't drink from their onboard tanks.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Froncles has one as well.

My adapter is one of the ones with a "lump" in the middle and it fit/worked perfectly well (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I came across another type of connector in the Maritime Alps recently. It looked like the one in the OP but my Hozelok male to male adaptor didn't fit. It went in only so far then hit a smaller diameter hole. It looked as if you needed an adaptor which had two different diameters, wide at the base, narrow at the end. It even defeated a French MH owner too, so I wasn't alone. :)

The other type which defeated me were taps which had a screw end but one much wider than the normal taps, which already come in two sizes, narrow and "normal". I will need to tow a trailer soon for all the different adaptors needed!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I came across another type of connector in the Maritime Alps recently. It looked like the one in the OP but my Hozelok male to male adaptor didn't fit. It went in only so far then hit a smaller diameter hole. It looked as if you needed an adaptor which had two different diameters, wide at the base, narrow at the end. It even defeated a French MH owner too, so I wasn't alone. :)

The other type which defeated me were taps which had a screw end but one much wider than the normal taps, which already come in two sizes, narrow and "normal". I will need to tow a trailer soon for all the different adaptors needed!

"Normal" taps come in three sizes not two (y) 1/2", 3/4" and 1" or whatever the metric equivalents are, 13, 19 & 25mm I suppose.

The most common is the 3/4" so I'd guess you came across a 1" one. Not seen one of those on a site or aire yet.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
"Normal" taps come in three sizes not two (y) 1/2", 3/4" and 1" or whatever the metric equivalents are, 13, 19 & 25mm I suppose.

The most common is the 3/4" so I'd guess you came across a 1" one. Not seen one of those on a site or aire yet.
We came across several with the 1" connection on our last trip (arrived back yesterday :cry:) in both France and Italy. But are they metric or Imperial? I suspect they are Imperial as my 1/2" and 3/4" adaptors work. I shall see what Plumb Centre have to offer but the curious male to male connection one is a mystery.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
There was one of the 1" fitting ones on the Aire at Honfleur a couple of years ago never come accross one since I bought a bigger fitting LOL.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We came across several with the 1" connection on our last trip (arrived back yesterday :cry:) in both France and Italy. But are they metric or Imperial? I suspect they are Imperial as my 1/2" and 3/4" adaptors work. I shall see what Plumb Centre have to offer but the curious male to male connection one is a mystery.

I think they are a standard size across the UK and Europe so they will probably be metric. What Plumb Center sell you as a 3/4" tap connector will actually be a 19mm one and so on.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think they are a standard size across the UK and Europe so they will probably be metric. What Plumb Center sell you as a 3/4" tap connector will actually be a 19mm one and so on.
They are actually a BSP thread.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back