When searching Ebay, it's worth a punt (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
As mentioned in another thread, I recently picked up a used Fiamma bike rack off Ebay. Admittedly it will need a bit of fixing and adapting to get it onto my camper but nothing too demanding.
New they work out at around £200 - I paid £20 which is why I'm well chuffed with it.
Usually they are enthusiastically followed on Ebay and bidding furious but not on this one and why?... because the seller couldn't spell Fiamma and listed it as Fiama. Although Ebay searches will find items with similar spelling, in this case any misspelt racks were buried in a load of other, really Fiama, items.

So, worth a punt to run your searches with variations in spelling. Also worth adding some misspellings when listing things for sale.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Good advice. I have got a few bargains doing this....

Lost a lot of money on an item I spelled wrong as well :eek:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Nowt on there 'miss spelt' as I was going to add a few! :active:
All come up as Fiamma..........................:reel:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not a fiamma rack but a simple miss spelling produced this roof bike rack system for a car.

Simply miss spelling ?? Roof RAKE

Broken Link Removed

When I see things like that I always send a message to the seller to let them know as it's only fair, especially if like this one, he's selling it on someone else's behalf.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I tried one of Janine's tools for spelling variations....tried Kampa as I'm looking at awnings. What's this Karma Sutra? some new camping accessory

Well it would definitely help with erections (of your awning).

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I bought an almost new Sterling Elite Explorer twin axle caravan on Ebay a few years ago & got it for a song as the seller had listed it as a "Stirling" caravan. He had bought the caravan on a whim & had never actually used it. When I picked the caravan up it was less than 8 months old! I paid a good bit less than half price (y) Mind you, when I went to view the caravan the seller had purpose built a garage for the caravan & had to shift his Bentley, Porsche & Range Rover to let me get to the garage. Its a funny old world eh?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When I see things like that I always send a message to the seller to let them know as it's only fair, especially if like this one, he's selling it on someone else's behalf.
Too easy.
Tough...They should have checked their listing before submitting.
I have seen listings with whole words missing and pics sideways and upside down.
It only takes a minute to check and correct.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Too easy.
Tough...They should have checked their listing before submitting.
I have seen listings with whole words missing and pics sideways and upside down.
It only takes a minute to check and correct.
Usually I would agree, however as it was for someone else it's not fair that they would loose out on his behalf.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
A friend of mine bought a roof box for his car purely because the ad was a complete work of art, only 2 pictures, but the description was so eloquently written and actually enjoyable to read.

When he went to collect the box, the owner turned out to be a very famous author who had only written the ad to break a bit of writers block she was having.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As mentioned in another thread, I recently picked up a used Fiamma bike rack off Ebay. Admittedly it will need a bit of fixing and adapting to get it onto my camper but nothing too demanding.
New they work out at around £200 - I paid £20 which is why I'm well chuffed with it.
Usually they are enthusiastically followed on Ebay and bidding furious but not on this one and why?... because the seller couldn't spell Fiamma and listed it as Fiama. Although Ebay searches will find items with similar spelling, in this case any misspelt racks were buried in a load of other, really Fiama, items.

So, worth a punt to run your searches with variations in spelling. Also worth adding some misspellings when listing things for sale.
Oh yes..... good catch there. (y)

I got an almost new air awning for less than half price under similar circumstance and the seller could not understand why I was the only bidder. And no @Detnor it wasn't Kama Sutra.....

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just remembered what it was I sold. I sold a Saxophone and spelled it Saxaphone.
The guy got a real bargain. It was collection only due to size/value. He drove all the way from Portsmouth to collect it, it was that much of a bargain. He worked out the fuel cost etc and put his highest bid in. He won on his lowest offer :(

I learned my lesson on that one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back