Good alternative to eurolites ???? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Piece of gaffer tape cut to some shape you think looks the business. As effective as anything you buy !

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not a great plan to use gaffer tape (or any opaque / reflective tape) on the twin headlights of a Hymer B-Class (1998-2005 models). The lights are Hella projector units and masking them with tape will cause overheating and bulb failure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Has anyone used these beam benders driving during the night. Do they actually bend the beam or just cut the part directed left off. I used to fit them but when abroad but never drove during night time so don't fit them at all now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Not a great plan to use gaffer tape (or any opaque / reflective tape) on the twin headlights of a Hymer B-Class (1998-2005 models). The lights are Hella projector units and masking them with tape will cause overheating and bulb failure.
@Figaro not a great plan all round because I think 'any' excuse to stop a Brit driver by johnny foreigner plod is not a good idea....I also keep fluorescent jackets on the driving seats etc. What that subtly says to johnny plod is that this guy probably knows the road regs and has the all required equipment on board, Gaffer tape or nothing says this guy is worth a stop....

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Why would you want to buy something more expensive than the brand leading Eurolites.
ERM because these ones on eBay appear to let light through rather than block it like eurolites. I have only driven a few times in the dark in Europe but eurolites seem to make a mess of the light pattern.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Just looking for some headlight benders and found these on fleabay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=110886869087&alt=web
Anybody used them or got a better suggestion than eurolites ????? The USP is that these let light through !
TIA
Yes. I have used them for the last two years on my Fiat based M/H and our Citroen car.

No problems experienced but don't notice a great deal of difference to Eurolites in beam projection.

Technically, not having headlights adapted because you don't drive at night does not comply with the law. As headlights have to be used in times of bad visibility, spray etc, they should be fitted anyway.

I can't see much likely hood of anyone being prosecuted simply for not having them but, in the event of accident in the rain or fog, you would probably have an extra charge added to the sheet.

The use of black tape, applied in the correct area, is probably sufficient, but I have never discussed it with the Police in France!:cool:

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Happy to be corrected my those more experienced in these matters. My hymer came with stick on deflectors on the hellas. Should I remove them ? Don't really do much night driving

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
This what I use - cut from insulating tape and they work perfectly. Place them slightly below the headlight bulb.
Broken Link Removed .......pictures about 10 items down
I did notice some Hella diverters recently on a van, they had obviously been subject to a lot of heat, I did wonder what they would be like to remove.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Happy to be corrected my those more experienced in these matters. My hymer came with stick on deflectors on the hellas. Should I remove them ? Don't really do much night driving
You can use the Eurolite type of deflector that allows light to pass through. It is simple masking that can cause problems.
A tip for using Eurolites is that they can be reused. I have been using the same pair for about 4 years now. Peel them off carefully and next time, put them in position and tack them to the lens using a thin strip of waterproof external Sellotape. I also have the headlight and fog light lenses covered in LaminX clear film to protect them from stone chips (same stuff the track-boys use).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You can use the Eurolite type of deflector that allows light to pass through. It is simple masking that can cause problems.
A tip for using Eurolites is that they can be reused. I have been using the same pair for about 4 years now. Peel them off carefully and next time, put them in position and tack them to the lens using a thin strip of waterproof external Sellotape. I also have the headlight and fog light lenses covered in LaminX clear film to protect them from stone chips (same stuff the track-boys use).
Why? You have an A Class with Hella projecter lights that can be adjusted for straight dipping, if you have a RHD Hymer I think you will find it has LHD headlamps so even you were using Eurolites you would only need them in the UK, if is a UK supplied van the lamps would have been adjusted for straight dipping by the importer/dealer anyway.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Some interesting alternatives and advice here: http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/polycarbonate_protectors.htm#

'You'll need them too, "you are required to mask UK head-lamps for continental travel - whether you travel at night or not and however long you stay". There is now a clamp down in response to various spreading urban myths to the contrary. All major ports now display warnings at departure - and you can expect to be stopped if not visibly complying!'

'These combined protectors and masks completely solve the positioning and adhesive problems on the new style clear head lamps, especially on the latest 'frog-eyes'. Standard advice is not to apply sticky tape to these new lenses.'

I would trust advice from this guy as I bought my gasit from him, and he was telling me what not to buy from him it terms of overkill!!!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My MH headlights have a straight dip so don't need them. On my car I use DIY jobbies cut from sticky back plastic (as per Blue Peter) cost next to nothing, used old Eurolyte as a template..

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Why? You have an A Class with Hella projecter lights that can be adjusted for straight dipping, if you have a RHD Hymer I think you will find it has LHD headlamps so even you were using Eurolites you would only need them in the UK, if is a UK supplied van the lamps would have been adjusted for straight dipping by the importer/dealer anyway.
Mine is a LHD motorhome and the lights have been set to RHD. There is a clear beam pattern with more light on the left - not straight dipping. I have thought of using the LHD/RHD adjustment but it is too much fuss to access the locking screws so I simply use Eurolites (mainly for the sake of Les Flics since I can easily lower the beams in order not to dazzle).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just leave mine set permanently to straight dipping, the projector ligts for LHD are only adjustable for a kick up to the right or flat dipping, if the are kicking up to the left they must be RHD lamps.

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just leave mine set permanently to straight dipping, the projector ligts for LHD are only adjustable for a kick up to the right or flat dipping, if the are kicking up to the left they must be RHD lamps.
Just realized we may be talking at cross purposes. Mine are the older style lamps fitted to B-class between 1998 and 2005. The van was imported from a dealer in Germany and they are the original lights but now set to the RHD position on the lamp barrel.
_DSC1989_2.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Same projector lamps inside the expensive surround on later models. I certain they will only have right kick up & flat beam. The RHD position is flat beam.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm a bad man.. have never used anything.. tsk tsk Jim :whistle:

well, not since the 70s when I painted them yellow going to France.

Never plan to drive in the dark, and yes I know you need them in tunnels and when it's raining.. but it's always sunny when we go abroad ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back