Fitting second hand tyres (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've just been phoning around to get a second hand tyre fitted (from Lenny on here) to a wheel as a spare for my MH. Most of the tyre centres I called would not fit second hand tyres to wheels. Has anyone else had this experience?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No, not personally.. but understand their position.. they are legally responsible for anything they fit..

if it has a hidden fault that causes a blowout and accident.. they could be held responsible.. they reason why they won't repair some punctures..

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
I've just been phoning around to get a second hand tyre fitted (from Lenny on here) to a wheel as a spare for my MH. Most of the tyre centres I called would not fit second hand tyres to wheels. Has anyone else had this experience?

There are companies that sell "part worn tyres" they may fit it for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
No, not personally.. but understand their position.. they are legally responsible for anything they fit..

if it has a hidden fault that causes a blowout and accident.. they could be held responsible.. they reason why they won't repair some punctures..

Absolutely correct - tyre depots have no means of checking the viability of the casing but are liable if things go wrong. For the same reason I would never consider using second hand tyres - a cheaper / economy version of the correct size and weight loading maybe the best option for you.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
TBH its not a good idea to buy a s/h tyre as even if it looks ok there may be damage to the internal structure. I think there are still a few part worn tyre sales places about, they might fit it but again maybe not. They might charge you to inspect it if they do fit it.

The first time I saw how little of the actual tyre is in contact with the ground at any one time made me think that is where to spend money to stay safe!!!

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Scout around for a local scrapyard..they now call themselves recycling centres, they our always selling part worn tyres
They will fit it

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Any small independent fitter will do it, the big boys won't even fit new tyres they haven't supplied.
As for buying secondhand tyres I would in principle agree unless I knew the history of the tyre. In this case I sold Steve the tyre and wouldn't sell a tyre that was in anyway sub standard. I only changed the tyres on my van to fit wider higher weight capacity 4 season tyres, I even had to ring a few fitters to get the new ones fitted.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
A tyre depot near me sells and fits part used tyres that he ships in from Germany, the tyres are removed from cars at the end of summer when the Germans have winter tyres fitted and likewise at the end of winter when new standard tyres are the order.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The first time I saw how little of the actual tyre is in contact with the ground at any one time made me think that is where to spend money to stay safe!!!

You may remember.. or maybe not, back in the 60s Dunlop had a tyre awareness campaign.. they gave away stickers that were in the shape of a shoe sole.. with a tyre tread .. illustrating how little contact a tyre has with the road surface.. . four tyres have about the same contact with the road as two pair of shoes..

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I have now found a high street depot that will fit good quality, legal, tyres. Of course they can only go by a visual inspection. I'm confident of the tyre as I know it's history. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. It is only for a spare (which I hope I don't need to use) but that's no excuse for not having a decent tyre.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
You may remember.. or maybe not, back in the 60s Dunlop had a tyre awareness campaign.. they gave away stickers that were in the shape of a shoe sole.. with a tyre tread .. illustrating how little contact a tyre has with the road surface.. . four tyres have about the same contact with the road as two pair of shoes..
Yes I think I do......that concentrates the mind......nearly 3.5 tons of wobbly mh riding on the surface grip of a pair of shoes!!!!:eek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A tyre depot near me sells and fits part used tyres that he ships in from Germany, the tyres are removed from cars at the end of summer when the Germans have winter tyres fitted and likewise at the end of winter when new standard tyres are the order.

G and S Tyres in London import used truck tyres from around the world..
I bought one as a spare for my RV that had 22inch coach tyres... was like new..think I paid £100 .. new ones were about £300..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes I think I do......that concentrates the mind......nearly 3.5 tons of wobbly mh riding on the surface grip of a pair of shoes!!!!:eek:

I remember it because I served my apprenticeship with India Tyres at Inchinnan, (owned by Dunlop) and we used the stickers on our lockers and tool boxes..

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I remember it because I served my apprenticeship with India Tyres at Inchinnan, (owned by Dunlop) and we used the stickers on our lockers and tool boxes..
There are many things I think would help drivers drive better, but having a sticker like that in the vehicle would help concentrate the mind, or across the forehead in some cases.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There are many things I think would help drivers drive better, but having a sticker like that in the vehicle would help concentrate the mind, or across the forehead in some cases.
Not really. The smaller the contact patch the greater the pressure pushing it into the tarmac - and the less water it has to shift. Just a campaign for the non-thinkers.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Any small independent fitter will do it, the big boys won't even fit new tyres they haven't supplied

For future info, all of the "big boys" in Aberdeen will fit tyres not supplied by them. Loads of websites sell cheaper tyres than the "big boys" then ship them to the "big boys" for fitting. I have done this many times over the last few years and I believe it is national. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back