Hymer Roof Light Leaking.. and a Disaster ;-(( (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Went out today to check all was ok and found a drip on the floor under the big roof light.. it's about 800x 500mm and cranks up and down parallel to the roof..

my hopes that it was just a bit of condensation were dashed.. I found the cassette that holds the fly screen and blind very wet..

I decided to remove the cassette to investigate and found it full of water .. so not just a bit of condensation..

I was hoping to do from inside the van, but the window gets in the way, it only lifts up a few inches which makes it hard to get to the trim screws on the outside..

So I removed the window, then the external aluminium trim , cleaned off all the mastic from both it and the roof.. used a scraper, then green scouring pad soaked with white spirit.

Fortunately I had fresh roll of W4 mastic and proceeded to apply it to the ally frame..

While doing that Jan said she would clean the window.. this is where disaster strikes.. I went to help and flipped the window over to clean the inside and struck the edge of the table with it and a big bit broke off and fell on the ground.. :cry:

I suppose it could be repaired.. but i noticed a couple of other cracks.. maybe caused by striking an overhanging tree branch.. who knows.. but if it broke that easily I reckon it has suffered UV degradation.. and better replaced .

I made a temporary repair with gaffer tape and stuck it back on the roof.. and replaced the rest of the trim and cassette blind..

I dread to think out how much a new one is.. I'm waiting a call from Becks with a price..

It's not a difficult job.. but when we get careless.. disaster is waiting to bite us on the bum.. a hard lesson.. :(

A few pics of the job in progress .... DSCF2314.JPG DSCF2315.JPG DSCF2316.JPG DSCF2317.JPG DSCF2318.JPG DSCF2319.JPG DSCF2320.JPG DSCF2322.JPG

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Bugger that's a shame.
Tried to get my rear one above the bed out the other day to reseal no way couldn't shift it god knows what they used to fit it. In the end just had to clean away all the mastic on the outside and reseal that way. Not happy but if I'd kept going it was gonna smash I would like to replace it with a polar 12v vent but not sure how I'd get it out now without doing damage.
Always the simple jobs that catch us out eh!!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Jim, sorry to hear about your mishap. We had ours refitted by the Family Travel Centre in Bristol, while removing the hatch they cracked the inner trim, but we think it was UV degradation, and not their fault, so ordered a new one from Brownhills - wish we had ordered a new one earlier so they could do it all in one go and not have to return for a second refit!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I wonder if the opaque one might be better - maybe more protection for the inner trim from UV damage?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It was probably on the point of going anyway Jim. At least it went when you were home and not on a foreign field.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Hi Jim, don't beat yourself up over it - these things happen at our/my age. Don't let it get in the way of enjoying your MH and your travelling adventures. It's OK,

Norman

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Hi Jim,

Both my lounge and bathroom roof lights got taken out by a huge hailstorm in France a few years ago, you should be pleasantly surprised at the price you will get back from Hymer.
I ordered mine along with loads of other bits from Chris at Premier Motorhomes, I can't remember exactly how much and of course can't find the receipt now but I think they were £150 each, certainly no more than £200 so don't go buying those Ebay (Brownhills) ones just yet.
I can confirm the exact price with Chris tomorrow if you like. Be interesting to see what price Becks quote.

Pete

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@pjay

Hi Pete .. thanks for info... but already ordered from Brownhills.. .. I want it done asap and didn't think the price was too sad..

and Becks haven't come back yet ..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Been a couple of recent threads on this one Jim, mine also leaked and needed sorting.
A slightly convex roof design would have stopped pooling on what is a perfectly flat roof

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
When we needed parts for our Rollerteam Brownhills were the only ones to reply.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Its a bugger, but on a positive note you don't appear to have wet rot around the frame so once the new one is in place you can be confident all is well (at a price)

Never a convenient time for something like that to happen is there. At least you caught it before major damage though.

If you look carefully, photo #1 , the aperture doesn't actually have a wood frame.. just small blocks of wood inserted where the fixing screws go to hold the trim.. .. so even if they rotted would be very easy to replace..

Brownhills have been excellent, Darren has contacted me several times to keep me informed of the delivery date

New window, trim and rubber seal coming Tuesday... will post pics when done..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
UPDATE

New window , trim and rubber arrived this afternoon.. great service and communication from Brownhills.. thanks Darren .. a star.

You also need (not supplied) are 4 x 8mm Starlock washers to hold the winding arm rods into the holes in the window.. from ebay Broken Link Removed

the rubber seal is a little puckered at the corners, but should bed down when it gets warm.. it's quite cool today

a few pics and one of the broken window :whistle:

DSCF2356.JPG DSCF2357.JPG DSCF2358.JPG DSCF2362.JPG

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Glad it's worked out well for you - I ordered a replacement side window in early September, still waiting for it !

Darren @ Brownhills has been helpful and apologetic. Apparently Hymer currently have quite a back log of orders.... you did alright (y)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi Jim,

Both my lounge and bathroom roof lights got taken out by a huge hailstorm in France a few years ago, you should be pleasantly surprised at the price you will get back from Hymer.
I ordered mine along with loads of other bits from Chris at Premier Motorhomes, I can't remember exactly how much and of course can't find the receipt now but I think they were £150 each, certainly no more than £200 so don't go buying those Ebay (Brownhills) ones just yet.
I can confirm the exact price with Chris tomorrow if you like. Be interesting to see what price Becks quote.

Pete
Hi Pete it would be interesting to hear how much you did pay so we have it for future reference . We have just purchased a 11yr old Hymer so taking note of all these usefull threads. Thanks Jim @ScotJimland

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@pjay
Hi Pete.. and that's good news for anyone else who needs one.. and a lot cheaper than what I paid Brownhills..

How long ago was this.. perhaps the prices have gone up since then.. or you got a special deal ?

in any case.. thanks ..:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back