European Breakdown Cover- Over 8m And 3.5t (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Can anyone advise of a suitable company to contact for European breakdown cover that will cover larger motorhomes. Tag axle Swift @8.5m.
A lot of companies seem to restrict length and weight. We are going to France for a month in July, so short term cover would be acceptable too.
Many thanks

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Speak to your insurers to see if they can provide it for you.

We're with CaravanGuard and UK and EU breakdown cover is part of their package. Never had to use it but they tell me they use HGV recovery services instead of AA/RAC type organisations.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Would second speaking to your insurance company.

We're with Motorhome Facts insurance (underwritten by Aviva) which includes UK and European breakdown cover. We're not quite as big as you at 7.3m and 4.5 tonne. No problem getting recovered - they use RAC Commercial for recovery.

Denise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are with RAC, they have restrictions on weight, but not if you are members of C + CC, so we joined and the discounted rate isn't too bad either, but cant actually recall how much we pay, but the RAC cover is also personal so our cars and either of us in any other car (y)

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya we are with saga they cover any size and weight.....we are 9 meters with bikes and 6 tons and were recovered last year in 30 min fromValencia area and van returned to England no problems

OP
OP
simplyjimbo
Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Many thanks for your advice so far everyone. I will check my insurance company later today.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Also if you are Nationwide Building Society customers get a Flex Plus account, we have and you get Breakdown cover for Europe, we are 6 tonnes and 8 metres long, you get 31 days European cover, but can extend it. We have been with RAC arrivals for years until we just changed our MH. As it is over 11 years old we are not covered for Europe. Flex plus account does cost £10 per month but you also get health insurance plus other benefits too.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Flex plus does look good.. Anyone not comfy with Adac could do worse than look at that nationwide service.

OP
OP
simplyjimbo
Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Many thanks for all the advice.
Have upgraded my MHF Policy to Platinum, and now covered.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Did someone has been unfortunate to use the Nationwide Flexplus Breakdown insurance, Specially in Europe? How was the expiriance with them?
We have 8m long, 4.5 ton MH.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I'm with Comfort, when they offered breakdown cover I pointed out MH was over 3.5, helpful girl "replied "if we insure it, we cover it"

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
We've just had occasion to use European breakdown cover in France. We're 8.5 m, 5.5 tonnes, insured with Comfort with breakdown cover supplied by the RAC. Length and weight not an issue and both accept that we're covered. However, while that is true in strict terms, the practical application of it was limited.

We broke down with a failure of the air springs on the RNS suspension. The vehicle was drivable, but not far, and a proper recovery would require a complete lift. The RAC call centre was responsive throughout but the practical help delivered was of only limited use. The first breakdown response they sent was a flat bed recovery truck that was smaller than our wagon. Oh that's all right says the call centre, he'll tow you to the garage. "No he won't!" says I. We drove to the garage following the recovery vehicle.

The garage was a rather back street affair where I saw no evidence of a hoist capable of lifting our van, and they were obviously unfamiliar with air suspension and motorhomes. Getting the parts required to effect a repair was going to take four weeks and we were quoted €3,100 to supply and fit new air springs, which is not covered by the breakdown insurance. We adjourned to a nearby campsite and RAC provided a hire car.

Exploring other options, RAC agreed to repatriate the vehicle rather than wait for parts. However, this in itself would take two to three weeks, and we could not travel with the van. "Oh, and there is a cover limit of £2,500, and you've already spent some of that on the recovery, taxis and the hire car" I was told.

I had no idea there was a cover limit! Repatriation was going to cost over £3,000 for a low loader, so we were looking at about £1,000 just to get it back to the UK.

In the end, I repaired the holes in the two air springs using nuts, bolts, washers and rubberised superglue (which I'd never seen before but found in a BricoMarché and bought some more to bring home - great stuff) and drove the vehicle home.

I've just ordered the replacement parts, which are going to cost £270 delivered to my home in about two weeks.

Lessons?
You might not be covered for what you think you are - I certainly wasn't.
You need to be assertive with breakdown services and garages to get much attention at all.
French garages seek to profiteer from British motorists brought to them after a breakdown. (Happened to us once before, years ago, when the garage tried to replace an engine when all that was required was a cam belt.)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
ADAC every time. 89 euros,,any size of vehicle in all of Europe...No time limits for travel...BUSBY.
Busby,
Is this the German auto club and is there a British 'branch' or website, or would we have to do it all in German!:eek:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Busby,
Is this the German auto club and is there a British 'branch' or website, or would we have to do it all in German!:eek:

All doc's are in German, however, when you phone them, ask if you can have the conversation in English, they will transfer you to an English speaker.

Search ADAC on here, you will find at least one translation from German to English of the T/C's.

Site is www.adac.de

The Premier Plus contract is more with out size and weight restrictions. The membership covers any vehicle you are driving/own.

beachmat

Free Member
Nov 24, 2011
North Bucks
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
Since '80
Did someone has been unfortunate to use the Nationwide Flexplus Breakdown insurance, Specially in Europe? How was the expiriance with them?
We have 8m long, 4.5 ton MH.

The coolant hose split on our nearly new A Class, 4.25T(Fiat) 7M long, on the A6 Autoroute near Macon, a few weeks ago. Once we had been carried off the Autoroute, which cost 450 Euros on a Sunday. Nationwide Flexplus Breakdown, provided by Britannia, did everything very well. Arranged transport for us and van to main dealer, put us up in a hotel while the part arrived, provided taxis etc. Could not fault them, not a penny out of pocket. We could have used Fiat's Camper assist as it was a new vehicle, but it would not have been any better. And the 450 Euros was reimbursed as soon as we claimed. The only real hassle was getting off the Autoroute as they sent the wrong size transporter, but that wasn't anything to do with Nationwide, that was down to the Autoroute company.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
ADAC every time. 89 euros,,any size of vehicle in all of Europe...No time limits for travel...BUSBY.
They must have changed their terms since I last looked at it about 2 years ago. I recall there were size restrictions at that time.
Ezee

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As already said, beware of RAC Arrivals, as in Europe, their limit is £2500. Further on the one occasion when we called them for a puncture, here in the UK, they subbed it out, to a local company and the man turned up without a torque wrench, 644nm required. His idea of a torque wrench was a length of pipe and a lump hammer. Fortunately, I carry one, but that was not the point. Many letters ensued before I received satisfaction.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
LV for us... Covers all vehicles Including motorhomes of any size. Gives us full European cover and will recover the vehicles anywhere all the way home if needed. It gives FULL cover for every aspect that can be covered with breakdown insurance. It provides a courtesy car as well.

I believe the CC offer a cover that will give a MH to cover the rest of a holiday but I've not looked into that.

The cover that comes with bank accounts is basic. They will only usually take a broken down vehicle 25 miles or so. But its usually free or cheap and you only get what you pay for.

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
we are with RAC, they have restrictions on weight, but not if you are members of C + CC, so we joined and the discounted rate isn't too bad either, but cant actually recall how much we pay, but the RAC cover is also personal so our cars and either of us in any other car (y)
I contacted CCC and RAC but they only cover for 90days at a time in Europe and only 1 call out per trip which is no good at all.

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Replied on another thread Caravan Guard cover EU brought my chieftain 81/2 Mtrs 41/2 ton from Poole to Warwick 40 foot low loader and gave us a car to come home in have checked with them same applies in Europe even pay hotels

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have had RVs over 8m and up to 7.5 tonnes and insured with Safeguard , the policy covered breakdown and recovery in uk and eu.
If you already have insurance I dont think they do an add on.
Perhaps worth getting a quote when you renew.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
The RAC breakdown that come with the Comfort/Aviva MH insurance, have different limits for repatriation:
  • repatriation of the vehicle to your home address or your nominated repairer in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, if your vehicle cannot be repaired before the end of your holiday period, subject to the cost of the repatriation not exceeding the market value of your vehicle.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Used ADAC twice,,once with a knee injury in Spain. They organised an ambulance and would have flown me home and repatriated my motorhome if required which luckily i did not need. Second time broke down in the mountains 20 miles from Rhonda in Andalucia. Breakdown vehicle with me in 50 mins and recovered to Ford dealer in Rhonda. Hired me a car and accommodation in a hotel until van was repaired...Super service.BUSBY.

kenvan

Free Member
Oct 29, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Hello. Just joined as a guest to reply to this post. We are with Comfort insurance and are over 8 metres long and weigh 6 tonnes. We broke down in Calais last month. We were loaded on recovery truck and taken to Merc dealer in Boulogne. Comfort only cover you for £500 worth of recovery. Our recovery firm wanted 1000 euros, so we had to pay difference. As with a lot of insurance companies, you don't get the policy and small print until you sign up. Moral: Do homework thoroughly.

ken

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
No get policy first for consideration, then no sign up. Simples. ;)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
So ... we're with ADAC ... used them once in the UK .. faultless. About 90 quid a year partner plus so we're both covered in any vehicle.
Seems the Nationwide one works for 120 quid a year but not as comprehensive.
Is there anything that compares to ADAC?
(Can't say ive seen anything)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I insure via the CCC. Have done for years. The add on of Recovery By the RAC is worth every penny. They recovered a 7 + tonne Pusher R-V from Dover to the repairer in the Midlands, when a valve bent. And From Nr St Albans to Hampshire when the gear box failed.. They have arranged for a Welder to repair a Cracked Tow Bracket. Found me someone to investigate the loss of power In Spain, (had it failed they where ready to Uplift from La Manga to the UK) Low loadered me off the M25 when Both rear Tyres where wrecked by debris in the road!. They are courteous, and keep checking back to see if all is going to plan. I cannot fault them (yet).

As Far as I am aware you can (for cost) extend the cover to 180days (from the standard 90)

You have to be a CCC member though.

Pete

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
ADAC here too (partner plus) .
Never had to use it, but read BUSBY's post some years ago (re the knee) and thought that was proof enough. Also, having spent 18 years in Germany, I trust the German thoroughness in all things.
Except emissions testing of course.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back