Personal travel insurance when abroad, do you bother or not? (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Just sorting the last few bits out before we head across the water for a few months. Previous trips we had taken out a 'Backpackers' insurance which covered us for the 5 months away at one time.
Im just talking personal cover, not vehicle/breakdown cover.

What would we need cover for, we've got our medical cards and don't want all the lost baggage delayed flight stuff.

Just after some views as to what others do, or don't do when abroad for several months

Shawn.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, I would say that you do need it.

Someone skied into the back of me 2 years ago and I sustained a complicated fracture to my arm. The bill ran into thousands - thankfully I was fully insured. You might not be ski-ing but there's still other ways you can injure yourself.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Friends of ours went to America to Disneyworld and whilst there sadly the dad was taken ill and later died, the medical procedures that were carried out to try to keep him alive cost over 80thousand and bills were coming in up to 2 years later . Would you take that chance without insurance ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
A multi trip year long policy.
Multi trip annual policy won't usually cover you for more than a few weeks, as far as I know. Mine is certainly only 30 days.

Will need to look around next year for something which will cover us for longer once Joe retires. Anyone any idea who's does a good policy for longer trips?

Denise

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Mine covers me for 90 days per trip. (Insure & Go. Gold cover under 66 years of age.)

From their blurb:

Annual multi-trip policies
This gives you cover to travel as many times as you like during
any one period of insurance, as long as no single trip lasts longer
than 45 days (31 days if you are aged 66 or over). Under the
Gold cover option the maximum length of a single trip is
increased to 90 days if you are aged under 66. We also provide
cover for up to 17 days for winter sports during the term of your
policy (or 24 days if you have arranged Gold cover).

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I had a good look about earlier this year and we're using these folk for our next three month trip.

www.travelinsurance.co.uk

They came with a few recommendations from earlier threads I came across. I like the way you can select what you want or don't want and we got a good price even though one of us had to declare a medical condition.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I have used Insure&go and although their standard policy is 90 days if you ask them they will extend for an addional premium. I've done it for the last couple of years.

Deleted User
You should be aware that most European policies require you to use a hospital that is equivalent to an NHS hospital and you have to present your EHIC card.

The policy will then allow you to claim the non EHIC balance, I had 3 day in a French hospital and the payment totalled €80 (exrays, scan, operation, drugs, food etc) I had to be transferred by ambulance to another hospital which cost a further €80

So even with a stay in hospital, the claim was less than the premium.

Having said that, we ski which could result in mountain rescue etc (very expensive) and in the event of a required repatriation the bill would be thousands, so for those reasons we'll continue to have insurance.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We take our EHIC cards and take a calculated risk that this will cover us for most eventualities - We expect to pay for anything other than emergency treatment. Main thing for us is good and unlimited time European wide breakdown/accident insurance cover as this is the most likely to be needed.
Exception is winter sports insurance which we have needed (oooops!!!!)
We travel mostly in Scandinavia so calculate our risk based on this - If we were going to Morroco or Romania for instance then we would re asses the risk.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Mine covers me for 90 days per trip. (Insure & Go. Gold cover under 66 years of age.)

From their blurb:

Annual multi-trip policies
This gives you cover to travel as many times as you like during
any one period of insurance, as long as no single trip lasts longer
than 45 days (31 days if you are aged 66 or over). Under the
Gold cover option the maximum length of a single trip is
increased to 90 days if you are aged under 66. We also provide
cover for up to 17 days for winter sports during the term of your
policy (or 24 days if you have arranged Gold cover).

I had a good look about earlier this year and we're using these folk for our next three month trip.

They came with a few recommendations from earlier threads I came across. I like the way you can select what you want or don't want and we got a good price even though one of us had to declare a medical condition.

I have used Insure&go and although their standard policy is 90 days if you ask them they will extend for an addional premium. I've done it for the last couple of years.

Thanks everyone.

Denise

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
We use a single trip [up to 183 days ] policy brokered by the Camping and Caravanning Club for long trips...at just over £100 per person.

The policy is with Aria Insurance and covers medical emergency and repatriation costs , emergency dental treatment , daily benefit while in hospital ,legal protection , personal liability plus several other items.

I think it gives some peace of mind and hopefully good back up if disaster strikes whilst away on a long trip...not had to claim as yet thankfully!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you are thinking of NOT having personal travel insurance just answer one question ... if one of you died/was seriously ill and needed to be flown back to the UK how would you pay for it ....

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We use a single trip travel ins but without cancellation and baggage cover.
This gives us the medical cover we need from oct - june when we are abroad and because we have no cancellation cover do not need to have return journey booked. (Tip)
Will use EHIC if needed but have full cover just in case!

We are both in our 40's but not worth risking for a couple of hundred pounds.

:)

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

Thanks for that davidandginny.

I've added them to my list. But a quick quote with them for the 2 of us for 9 months came out at about £350.

Cheers Shawn.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you are thinking of NOT having personal travel insurance just answer one question ... if one of you died/was seriously ill and needed to be flown back to the UK how would you pay for it ....

Hi MinxyGirl, it's not a question of not having the cover but wanted to check that it's really nessasery. We are going to be traveling around Europe for up to 9 months and the risk is higher that something may happen to us whilst away on the road.
I've read reviews from people who have had to have medical treatment whilst away and mostly they have received excelant medical care. So just trying to work out the need to have the cover.
I think reading the replies it's about getting the right cover for us. I don't want to be paying for a load of stuff that we don't need. And as has been said the most important would be medical and repatriation.

Thanks Shawn

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We use a single trip travel ins but without cancellation and baggage cover.
This gives us the medical cover we need from oct - june when we are abroad and because we have no cancellation cover do not need to have return journey booked. (Tip)
Will use EHIC if needed but have full cover just in case!

We are both in our 40's but not worth risking for a couple of hundred pounds.

:)

Hello Dazzlin, this sounds like what we need. The company's I've had quotes from don't give the option of no cancellation cover.
Could you let me know who you are using please?

Shawn

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Hello Dazzlin, this sounds like what we need. The company's I've had quotes from don't give the option of no cancellation cover.
Could you let me know who you are using please?

Shawn

justtravelcover.com
We paid £240 to cover travel in france, spain, portugal and morocco for single trip oct - july.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Whilst in Australia a couple of weeks ago had to tale my wife to hospital with Gastroenteritis, phoned the insurance company from A&E while she was been treated and they were very helpful, reminded me to keep receipts for taxis and other incidentals. Haven't got all the bills in yet but the cost is way higher than the excess. Also, when we checked in, the first thing asked was insurance policy number please.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
We use Nationwide "free" cover, and have upgraded to at various times for 180d maximum trip length, (364 days cover), 180 winter sport, hazardous sports, and world wide cover.

Its covered us backpacking for 4 month trips, cycle camping, snowboarding season, alpine mountain biking etc, white water stuff etc

Always check before we go that our "to do" list is covered. And, IMO, the upgrades are dirt cheap.

Never claimed, but see no reason for issues.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back