Help with solar in a new Hymer (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am about to buy a new Hymer A class B678 and want to fit or get fitted a 200W solar installation. I think the Hymer has a Schaudt Electrobloc ELB 29 and a Schaudt control panel LT 95F. Am I the only person to be decidedly unimpressed with these in an expensive new A class? When compared with my 7 year old much cheap Adria coachbuilt they seem extremely primitive.

I was planning to use a Schaudt LRM1218 (MPPT) solar controller. The EBL has connectors to take the output from this but does not appear to have any input for the signal cable for the control panel, which means that the control panel cannot show the charge from the solar panel. And even if it did have the input it would be no good because the display only shows voltage and there is no way to read either the current or the % capacity of the battery on the Hymer display panel (both of which my Adria does).

Any advice on the best way forward please?

I am worried that if I just connect a non-Schaudt MPPT controller direct to the batteries it will fool the EBL into thinking the batteries are fully charged when I am driving along or on an EHU and therefore not charge the batteries via the alternator or EHU, which would provide much more charge than the solars (as per the advice on A&N's website) . So should I connect the solar controller's output via the EBL anyway and then have a new separate remote display dedicated to the solar? If I use the Schaudt LRM1218 and its remote control panel (which only shows current) they will come to over £300 between them, and I suspect I could get a better controller and panel for a lot less. What alternatives could I use?

At the moment I am likely to get the dealer to do all of this (he has given a good price for it and several other additions I want) and his fitter has said that he could use an MPPT controller to feed only the leisure battery and then install a Battery Master to trickle charge the vehicle battery. That seems a bit crude to me given that the EBL is supposed to be able to charge both and the LRM1218 has outputs for both too.

So any advice to help me would be gratefully received please

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
AFAIA you MUST use an LR1218 solar regulator with the Schuadt electroblocks - we've got a EBL99K electroblock in our Globecar and had to get the LR1218 but didn't bother with the MPPT version at twice the price.

Link Removed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My van has an ELB 29 ( replacement for the ELB 99) one of the more basic unit and the Lt 95 is as good as useless.
Also the ELB 29 does not control the solar charge so once the potential reaches 14.3 v the voltage holds at that voltage.
You must not use a battery master with an Elektroblock.

If you want to fit a different regular it is best to check with Schaudt first.

I fitted this cheap battery monitor £21 on eBay.

P1050070.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I just googled these products - they do seem a bit of a backwards step ! And certainly an odd choice for a premium motorhome.

I too would fit the LR1218 regulator and an additional battery monitor. It looks like Schaudt do make a suitable monitor, should you want to keep all equipment 'the same'

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I
I too would fit the LR1218 regulator and an additional battery monitor. It looks like Schaudt do make a suitable monitor, should you want to keep all equipment 'the same'

Broken Link Removed
I would prefer MPPT hence my choice of the LRM 1218 rather than the LR 1218. That and the monitor comes to £240 though (found a cheaper place thanks to Mel).

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Bit the bullet and fitted the LRM and display panel to our recent (2014) Hymer. Yes it's expensive but it all goes together easy and works as it should. You don't have to fit a panel I guess?

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Bit the bullet and fitted the LRM and display panel to our recent (2014) Hymer. Yes it's expensive but it all goes together easy and works as it should. You don't have to fit a panel I guess?
But my Hymer does not seem to have any easy way of showing the current going in or the battery voltage (as opposed to the charge voltage) or % capacity without switching everything off for several hours. With the Adria I can get the info easily

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
But my Hymer does not seem to have any easy way of showing the current going in or the battery voltage (as opposed to the charge voltage) or % capacity without switching everything off for several hours. With the Adria I can get the info easily

No my Hymer (Schaudt) main panel doesn't either. So I fitted the Schaudt solar panel in a cupboard and the LRM under the seats near the electroblock. I would suggest you fit the LRM regulator as opposed to the LR one as your van will have Gel batteries? Th LRM is more suitable for Gel.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No my Hymer (Schaudt) main panel doesn't either. So I fitted the Schaudt solar panel in a cupboard and the LRM under the seats near the electroblock. I would suggest you fit the LRM regulator as opposed to the LR one as your van will have Gel batteries? Th LRM is more suitable for Gel.
Did you wire the LRM in through the electrobloc or straight through to the batteries?

I really wanted the solar display over the door with the other control panels, but that is a long way from the batteries and electrobloc :(. The dealer will want to fit it in one of the cupboards near the kitchen I suspect to save fiddly threading of the wires to the other side of the van.

I chose the LRM because it is an MPPT controller, which is supposed to give better charging when the sun is not strong (so most days in he UK). The batteries on the new Hymer range all seem to be AGM not gel.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The LT95F control panel does indeed seem to be a very basic model and appears to give no indication of hab battery charge current from any source (EHU / Alternator / Solar Reg). In this respect it is less capable than the old IT992 twin needle meter model fitted in my 2003 Hymer. So to see the charge current you would need an additional meter as you suggest.
However, the EBL29 does charge the starter battery as well as the hab batteries from a Schaudt regulator. I only have direct experience of the LR1218 but I expect the cable options on the LRM1218 will offer the same functionality. The centre pin of Block 6 on the EBL29 (pin number 2 on the solar regulator input) is connected to the starter battery +ve pin on block 2 (pin number 1). You should use the supplied charging cable that has three wires - the one connected to the centre pin of the 3-pin MNL connector is red and this charges the starter battery.
For advice or confirmation about how to proceed I suggest an email to Udo Lang if you still have queries. Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our Exsis new import in June has a Büttner MT 130-s regulator that was fitted by the dealer it does not have a monitor with but apparently you can get one and it plugs into the regulator with supplied lead.
I have not heard whether this is a good one or not but it is connected to the Schaudt panel.You can buy the complete kit with black line solar panel and mounting kit.
We have the same Schaudt kit as you and it. Does trickle charge the vehicle battery as well as the leisure,s.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny

I have checked with Udo at Schaudt and he recommends using the LRM and a different monitor. Do you have a link for that one please as I can't find it on Ebay
eBay item number 181289964449, do double check with the supplier that it is capable of measuring charge & discharge as they do a very large range, should be the right one the part number is the same as on my one (just been out to the van and checked).
Only downside of this cheap one is, it samples 5 time per sec so display is always flickering, but you can turn it on & off at a press of a button.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Did you wire the LRM in through the electrobloc or straight through to the batteries?

I really wanted the solar display over the door with the other control panels, but that is a long way from the batteries and electrobloc :(. The dealer will want to fit it in one of the cupboards near the kitchen I suspect to save fiddly threading of the wires to the other side of the van.

I chose the LRM because it is an MPPT controller, which is supposed to give better charging when the sun is not strong (so most days in he UK). The batteries on the new Hymer range all seem to be AGM not gel.

Yes. Gel they are! My mistake. I wired via the electroblock. Plug n play. Also there's a long cable for the monitor/controller which I'm sure would be ample. My run from LRM to panel is about 4m.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Our Exsis new import in June has a Büttner MT 130-s regulator that was fitted by the dealer it does not have a monitor with but apparently you can get one and it plugs into the regulator with supplied lead.
I have not heard whether this is a good one or not but it is connected to the Schaudt panel.You can buy the complete kit with black line solar panel and mounting kit.
We have the same Schaudt kit as you and it. Does trickle charge the vehicle battery as well as the leisure,s.
Has your regulator been wired into the Elektroblock or does it by-pass it?
I'm looking at the possibility of changing my regulator as I think the LR1218 has contributed to the early demise of my AGM batteries. The ELB29 does not control the solar charge like it does on more upmarket Elektroblocks. All the time the sun is out and the batteries have reached a potential of 14.3 v it just holds at that voltage, not good practice.

What batteries does your van have ? I believe Hymer have changed to Varta AGM as they have had so many problems with the Banner AGM's, the Banner does not like the Elektroblock's charge regime.
I can only assume the change from Exide Gel's was down to cost saving, not one of their better decisions, also noted in the spares shop in the main Hymer showroom at Bad Waldsee they only stocked the Exide Gel's.

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I do chuckle as to why people want to see what a solar panel is producing. People will look at it for a couple of weeks, realise that it is academic as they have no ability to influence the situation anyway and never look at it again.

A proper Battery Computer with a large shunt telling you exactly what is happening is worth its weight in Gold however. Just say that the panel is producing 5amps and gives you a warm glowing feeling, yet you quiescent drain is say 7amps that is the figure that is relevant. The shortfall of 2amps is the really important figure. That you can actually do something about by turning things off.

A solar display is indicating a figure that is meaningless is a waste of time and money, as it will give you a false sense of security.

I do wish that motorhome manufacturers would take a leaf out of boat builders book and install equipment such a Victron or Mastervolt in motorhomes which is a truly integrated system and things like our Battery Master wouldn't been necessary. As it is fitting the Jack of all trades equipment such as Elektroblock is a cheaper option for the converter, at the cost to the motorhome users.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I do chuckle as to why people want to see what a solar panel is producing. People will look at it for a couple of weeks, realise that it is academic as they have no ability to influence the situation anyway and never look at it again.

A proper Battery Computer with a large shunt telling you exactly what is happening is worth its weight in Gold however. Just say that the panel is producing 5amps and gives you a warm glowing feeling, yet you quiescent drain is say 7amps that is the figure that is relevant. The shortfall of 2amps is the really important figure. That you can actually do something about by turning things off.

A solar display is indicating a figure that is meaningless is a waste of time and money, as it will give you a false sense of security.

I do wish that motorhome manufacturers would take a leaf out of boat builders book and install equipment such a Victron or Mastervolt in motorhomes which is a truly integrated system and things like our Battery Master wouldn't been necessary. As it is fitting the Jack of all trades equipment such as Elektroblock is a cheaper option for the converter, at the cost to the motorhome users.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Eddie,

The EBL and panel on the 2008 Adria I have at the moment can tell me the net amps plus or minus, including whatever charges are going in, as well as the % full the batteries are. The problem is that the one on the Hymer I am thinking about buying does not. However I think both provide a trickle charge to the engine battery to keep it topped up, so I do not think I need the battery master.

If I buy this Hymer I will be down to you for a Strikeback or Growler (not sure which yet) to be fitted anyway. I have already spoken to somebody there to find out how busy you are. Could you PM me please and tell me what my options and costs are to have a battery monitor fitted at the same time. All I would like to know is the voltage, net current gain or drain, and how full the batteries are, so nothing too sophisticated. It should also be able to to cope with a 2000W inverter wired directly onto the batteries that gets used 2 or 3 times a week for 10 minutes to dry my wife's hair.

Peter

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
@peterc10
We had Eddie fit a Victron 2kw inverter and a couple of 100w solar panels on our new van. The van came fitted with a b2b charger.
We also added two extra leisure batteries for extra resilience, though I fitted these myself
We don't monitor the solar panels - however our main control panels tells us how many volts in the leisure batteries
We're back to Taunton later this month for a Growler - wish I'd had one fitted at the time
Good luck with the new van
Will have to pop up and take a look when you get it

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@Robert Clark
The dealer has given us a very good price to fit what is missing for the spec, including solar, steadies, aerial, extra 12V sockets and a 2nd battery, so I will get them to do that without a monitor.

The Hymer's control panel will tell me the voltage in the system, but if you are charging (as you do most of the time with solars) that is not the voltage in the battery. You have to switch everything off and wait a while for it to settle before you can get that. I was looking for something that will tell me the amps (plus or minus) flowing and, most importantly how full the batteries are. I can do that with my Adria but not with the Hymer.

BTW saw a lovely E-line Carthago with 1000 miles on the clock that I liked, but Angela did not take to it at all. :cry::cry:

And you and Liz are welcome over anytime you are passing with or without a new motorhome.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Has your regulator been wired into the Elektroblock or does it by-pass it?
I'm looking at the possibility of changing my regulator as I think the LR1218 has contributed to the early demise of my AGM batteries. The ELB29 does not control the solar charge like it does on more upmarket Elektroblocks. All the time the sun is out and the batteries have reached a potential of 14.3 v it just holds at that voltage, not good practice.

What batteries does your van have ? I believe Hymer have changed to Varta AGM as they have had so many problems with the Banner AGM's, the Banner does not like the Elektroblock's charge regime.
I can only assume the change from Exide Gel's was down to cost saving, not one of their better decisions, also noted in the spares shop in the main Hymer showroom at Bad Waldsee they only stocked the Exide Gel's.
@lennyhb I will have a look to see if is. Bypassing the Schaudt unit and let you know,I have two banner AGM leisure batteries fine so far but not done a lot of trips yet we are off to Spain next month so we will then give them a good test.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Like a couple I know their van has 2 x 80 A/H Gel batteries & 100 watt solar panel. "He says we use the toaster on the inverter wife uses the hair drier and we charge both the e-bikes, with the solar panel both batteries are fully charged by lunch time."
About as much chance as pigs flying.:)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
LOL Love it Lenny, I was collared by a gentleman who wanted a 50 watt solar panel fitted. I suggested that a 50 watt solar panel was quiet small unless it was literally for a maintenance charge. I had a long lecture how he had a 50 watt panel on his last van, battery never went flat winter or summer, using TV heating lights, charging appliances through an inverter, the lot! Rather than argue with a man so sure of the facts, (however incorrect lol) I politely suggested that as we didn't stock a 50 watt panel, that he may like to cross the floor to Solar Solutions who I felt sure would be able to help him! :laughing:

The old gent then said to me "Oh, they told me to come and speak to you:Eeek:

One presumes that they don't do perpetual motion 50 watt panels either lol

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Is yours a new van and did Hymer replace them under the warranty?
Yes a new van, they failed about 3 weeks ago when I was in Greece, managed to get by as we have 200 watts of solar. Called in at Bad Waldsee on the way home, Hymer said they would change them, but I would have to pay €700 HOW MUCH! They would return them to the supplier and if faulty refund me, yer right I know what battery manufacturers are like, so left it until I got home.
I have just checked them, checked each one separately, after fully charging, loaded the battery with a 5 - 5.5 amp load one lasted 2 hours the other one 2½ hours before the Elektroblock shut down due to low voltage. Been talking to Premier today, waiting for to come back to me to see if it is OK for me just to take the batteries over to them in the car.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yes a new van, they failed about 3 weeks ago when I was in Greece, managed to get by as we have 200 watts of solar. Called in at Bad Waldsee on the way home, Hymer said they would change them, but I would have to pay €700 HOW MUCH! They would return them to the supplier and if faulty refund me, yer right I know what battery manufacturers are like, so left it until I got home.
I have just checked them, checked each one separately, after fully charging, loaded the battery with a 5 - 5.5 amp load one lasted 2 hours the other one 2½ hours before the Elektroblock shut down due to low voltage. Been talking to Premier today, waiting for to come back to me to see if it is OK for me just to take the batteries over to them in the car.
Are they saying that the batteries are only covered under warranty if the battery manufacturer admits they are faulty?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
the way I understand it leisure batteries should be a matched pair. dealer I use if you order a second battery they change both...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are they saying that the batteries are only covered under warranty if the battery manufacturer admits they are faulty?
Looks like it, but I suspect dealing with a dealer will be easier. From what I have read on the German forum it's very common for the Banners to fail when coupled to an a Ekectroblock, so far there aren't any motorhomes fitted with a charger that will charge AGM's correctly, so why fit them. Not one of Hymers better efforts (although the do make exceedingly good showers.:LOL:)
If it wasn't for a matter of principle I would just buy a couple of Exide Gels and be done with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back