M/H and ferries (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Forgive the naivety of a 'newbie' but can somebody help me with the implications, if any, of attempting to take an M/H on a ferry to France that is 6.5 m long and 2.9 m high

froghopper43

Free Member
Jun 5, 2015
winchester
Funster No
MH
renault machzone high top
Exp
since 1998
Hi there. Should have no problem at this size. Be honest and up front. You are a little bigger than us. 6mt long and 2.1 high. That includes a rear box fitted on to bike rack. We state this. Have used a few routes. D f d S. P&o. Scottish islands. And I O W. Never a problem. Approach ticket office. Customs or any barriers on side lights. Not headlights. If its dark of course. If iI can help. Just ask.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When you board the ferry you will be guided to s suitable area, along with other Motorhomes, caravans and other 'over sized' vehicles - nothing for you to worry about

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
No probs at all , go n njoy !

OP
OP
Purple2
Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks everyone. Put my toe in the water to see how much it would cost and the site didn't cater for anything over 2.5m and I was getting slightly concerned that it was an issue

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are some ferry routes which won't take MHs above a certain size. You will be OK on the popular routes - what route were you looking at?

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks everyone. Put my toe in the water to see how much it would cost and the site didn't cater for anything over 2.5m and I was getting slightly concerned that it was an issue
What site was that and for which crossing?

OP
OP
Purple2
Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
It was a sort of 'go compare' website which quoted for several ferry companies and gave loads of dimension options but as I say none above 2.5m! It was my only go at it so I'll try some other better known sites. Learning as we go!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It was a sort of 'go compare' website which quoted for several ferry companies and gave loads of dimension options but as I say none above 2.5m! It was my only go at it so I'll try some other better known sites. Learning as we go!
If you want to use a site like that try directferries.co.uk although I think for channel crossings most of us go straight to the ferry company's own sites although you can book through the Caravan Club if you are a member.

For the main routes size isn't a limitation but it is for a few routes, for example Condor Ferries won't take anything over 6.5m long and I've seen low height restrictions (2.6m?) on another route but can't remember which one it was.

Given where you live have a look at routes from Portsmouth first, make a note of costs then look at Calais. It will be cheaper but you will have to decide if it is worth the hastle of fighting round the M25! Don't forget Newhaven Dieppe easier to get to perhaps and not expensive.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you go via the tunnel there is a price for motorhomes of any size, just book as a camper van, no length or height required.
It is more expensive than the ferries though.

We always used P&O to cross the channel and used to pay £50 each way, 7.5m plus driver and one passenger. That seems to have gone up to £58 this year if you chose your crossing time carefully. I found that if you book at least 48hrs before travelling you could usually find that sort of price direct with P&O.
Now we have a "frequent traveller' package with Eurotunnel which works out at £54 each way.

Richard.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you want to use a site like that try directferries.co.uk although I think for channel crossings most of us go straight to the ferry company's own sites although you can book through the Caravan Club if you are a member.

For the main routes size isn't a limitation but it is for a few routes, for example Condor Ferries won't take anything over 6.5m long and I've seen low height restrictions (2.6m?) on another route but can't remember which one it was.

Given where you live have a look at routes from Portsmouth first, make a note of costs then look at Calais. It will be cheaper but you will have to decide if it is worth the hastle of fighting round the M25! Don't forget Newhaven Dieppe easier to get to perhaps and not expensive.

If you decide Newhaven Dieppe and are over 60 book on the telephone and tell them your age. You will get a 20% discount...BUSBY

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
When you come to drive onto or off the ramp to board or disembark go slowly and be aware that, while rare, it is possible to ground the back of the van.It mainly depends on the state of the tide and the length of your rear overhang.

Ferry company staff are usually excellent and, if there is a possibility, will show you where to drive on the ramp to avoid doing it. The staff will tell you exactly when to stop as you park. It always seems like you are about to hang your front bumper on the vehicle in front but they have it down to a fine art so it doesn't happen.

Make sure your gas is switched off if you have a fridge that switches to gas automatically. We regularly do 24 hour crossings and have never had anything go off yet. You'll be asked to leave your alarm off when on board as alarms are often triggered by the motion of the ship.

Enjoy your trip.

Reactions: DBK
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hello,

Much depends on where in France you want to go, and when. We travelled on Britanny Ferries from Plymouth to Roscoff and back in September, and that crossing is perfect for Britanny and the West Coast of France for us. When we live in Yorkshire we used the same company but the Portsmouth route to St Malo to get to the same parts of France, but have also used Dover when going to other parts.

Our van is 6.6m long and 2.9m high and we have a four bike rack on the back, which makes it at least 1m longer, but we always declare the bike rack even if we don't always take the bikes.

We are members of the BF club voyage scheme, which gives us 30% off the bad ferry price, (excludes cabin costs) and we generally spend the savings on upgrading the cabin!

Using the ferries is a doddle, believe me. they steer you at every stage of loading and unloading and you will love the experience. If you send me a PM I will send you details of what we paid and (if it is of any use to you) I can give you our BF club voyage membership number which will (legitimately) get you 10% off the ferry price.

Gary

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There are some ferries that can't take motorhomes of your size so be careful when booking. We are going to Cherbourg from Poole next Easter and we have to be loaded at a specific time as they lift the floor to accommodate our height. The tunnel has no restrictions and is very simple to book. We have found that the tunnel is usually cheaper than the ferry for the times we cross ( school holidays sadly) but it is a four hour drive each way.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The only implications with most ferry companies that will take that size is that there is usually a price hike over 6 metres long. Hence why just under 6 metre vans are quite popular with regular ferry goers. Doing the fjord ferries in Norway for example will be more expensive in a 6+ meter van.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I would say that you should have little difficulty. We took an 8.6M American Diesel pusher with a long overhang both ends via Calais / Dover. Towing a car on a trailer once, and "A" framing several times (I know, don't go there!!) . the only thing to be aware of is the state of the tide governs the approach / exit angle. But the crew do their best to mitigate it. I know! I used to have to de ballast the forward Tanks at Immingham quite regularly in the 1980`s.

Pete

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
All these helpful tips, precisely why Ive joined this forum! No specific route in mind, just seeing whats viable.
I will bear in mind all the 'favours' offered. Much obliged
Yep, best forum for info there is.
Enjoy the MHing, channel crossings no problem.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I wouldn't dream of choosing a van based on ferry prices :LOL: it is what it is, just find the best deal
That's what dealers told me......they should know. Personally I did not want anything low with a large overhang, seen a few ferry scrapes involving that type of vehicle.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Forgive the naivety of a 'newbie' but can somebody help me with the implications, if any, of attempting to take an M/H on a ferry to France that is 6.5 m long and 2.9 m high
That's not a ferry - it's a rowing boat. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole ..................... :rolleyes:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We've done a few of the Scottish Western Isles crossings in lots of different vehicles. No problems at all, just follow the instructions from the loading crew. Actually the motorhome was easier to put on the ferries than the car as you don't go on the mezzanine deck with the MH.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I managed to get a motorhome back and forth on the ferries for a couple of years. If I can do it on my own, anyone can, believe me. It's not as scary as you think it's going to be.
I always told myself huge lorries, longer, taller and heavier than my vehicle, do it, so I can too.
Never had a problem. Take it slow and steady going on and off and follow directions. You'll be fine.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We are using DFDS Dover Calais on 19th November. They charge in two bands for campervans up to 7m and up to 10m. We are 2.9m high and height was not a problem. We used to use MyFerryLink before it was forced out of business by the UK government. We though about using the tunnel but we were put off by the frequent closures due to invasion problems resulting in delays. We have used it once and found it a great experience particularly as we went free care of Mr TESCO.

We will be travelling from the North East so Dover Calais, using the Dartford Crossing, is easier than the crossings further around the south coast for us to get to.

OP
OP
Purple2
Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Looking forward to it. Parted with our money today, left the dealer with a smile on his face. (For all the right reasons) Not going to mention make and model yet as I know it will kick start comments which will leave me jibbering as everyone has their own opinions about the different layouts etc etc but once again thanks to all so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back