Newbie with issues to start full time living (1 Viewer)

newtovanlife1

Free Member
Oct 23, 2015
uk
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
new
Hi everyone! looking to go full time in a van conversion early next year maybe a coach built depends on funds anyway will be not going to sites unless i need to once in while will be using any places i can park up with no problems such as where the HGV park at nights on roads.
there is a few problems due to personnel reasons i will not have an address for things like DVLA and insurance and i dont have anyone i could use. and as you need an address for insurance for the van how do i stay legal? if something went wrong and i needed to claim i would not want to end up with nothing which can happen. also do the police bother you if your parked in places like i have said?

i am all new to this and looking for any advice from people who have been there cheers!

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi from East Sussex and :welc:
I'm sure some full timers will be along to answer your questions later but I think an address is essential

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
i will not have an address for things like DVLA and insurance and i dont have anyone i could use. and as you need an address for insurance for the van how do i stay legal?

The short answer is you can't.

You might get some suggestions about dodges and grey areas but that's all they will be.

The vehicle has to be registered to an address as does your driving licence.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome. We are fulltimers but we use a relatives house as our address. We pay council tax and are on the electoral roll there and we stay there quite a bit too.

As much as we wanted to be totally independent we could not find a way round not having a UK address. You have to exist somewhere otherwise you will never get insurance.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been fulltiming for well over 6 years now. I am afraid the bad news is you will need an address.
I used a Physical mailbox with mailboxes etc. However the DVLA a couple of years ago decided they didn't like that and forced me to use a real domestic address.

You may get away with things initially but eventually you will probably find something where you need a real address. This can be a friend or relative but I think I would recommend you get this sorted out up front rather than having to panic when it is forced on you.

I hate the fact that we are penalised in this way but it is what it is and we have to deal with the world as we find it not as we wish it to be.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hello and welcome. We are fulltimers but we use a relatives house as our address. We pay council tax and are on the electoral roll there and we stay there quite a bit too.

As much as we wanted to be totally independent we could not find a way round not having a UK address. You have to exist somewhere otherwise you will never get insurance.

How do you pay council tax for a relatives property,,,very confused..BUSBY.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
hi new,,i am planning to do exactly the same ,and this prob has been pointed out to me on more than one occassion, i have a friend who is going to rent me a room and because they already pay council tax they will have no increase with me being a lodger,i think its only in the case of a single person that you get a discount,i am sure that the more people that are registered to the address is no extra charge,,, unless they get the 25% single occupancy discount,,,if im wrong im sure someone who knows more on here will tell me,,,good luck,

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You'll find plenty of places to legally stay full time, some you'll pay for others you wont. Of course you need to think about water and waste and this can be a problem for some.

There are thousands who full time without a pucker address on their driving licence, they don't worry about it, its hardly the crime of the century. But if you don't want to break the law, you can change the address on line for free, so you could if you wished, change it every time you move campsites and remain totally legal. As for the log book address. Gromett is right, you can't use a Post Office Box but you can use a virtual address, like these guys provide, I know many who do so without issue, DVLA are only interested in ensuring they can contact you and that the data they sell the parking companies is correct and you are contactable.

Often touted as a big barrier to full timing the reality is the address issue is easily overcome.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you need an address for insurance for the van how do i stay legal

Correct... Insurance companies require a physical address where they can contact you.. this can be a c/o.. a friend or relative.. You also need to declare you are full timing, ie motorhome is your main residence.. which means a full timers policy..

To my knowledge Comfort Insurance are the only ones who provide full timing cover.. and it's on a 'case by case' basis .. so you need to enquire.. it's not cheap.. around £1000 .. but as you are not paying council tax, utility bills, mortgage etc.. it's still a lot cheaper than living in a house.

I've no doubt some fulltimers 'wing it' on a standard motorhome policy.. it enables them to pay the VED.. but non declaration of full timing to the insurer voids the policy., so in effect they are uninsured and driving the vehicle illegally.

Lots to consider.. and there are several hurdles, but as said, all are surmountable..

Last edited:

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
We did it for 10 years,and used my daughters address,make sure you go on the system for voting as this is were everyone including insurance check up on,it's public knowledge.
We use to park on there drive and sleep when at home,and was told that invalidates the insurance,you would think sleeping in the van ,less chance of being stolen ,but it does not work that way?????

I would recommend you buy all the airs books,if planning Europe,treat it like abig learning curve don,t rush it enjoy it,people are very kind and will help you .
I never regretted this wonderful life style,circumstances forced change,just enjoy.!!!

shane the nomad

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Anywhere the handbrake go's on
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Two years ...so newbie....ish !!!
Well done for taking the plunge,Go for it,One of the best things i ever done.love to wild camp in remote areas. Not totally independant as you need water and waste outlets.Easy to sort in france with service du camping car. Look like a petrol pump,but you can fill fresh water and empty both tanks for e2 - e5 Cheaper than chips !! As for Address for insurance/driving license,Family and friends are best bet if they are ok with it..Good Luck Have Fun,Your on the best site for help and tips and knowledge

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
many peeps use the boatmail website; they provide you with an address and forward your mail to you as agreed. Toby Trux

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
You could be liable for Council Tax if you spend a lot of time on one site, or return habitually to one site. See Motorhome365 forum (a sister site to this one) for more on this.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You could be liable for Council Tax if you spend a lot of time on one site, or return habitually to one site. See Motorhome365 forum (a sister site to this one) for more on this.

as we found out... summoned by Colchester council for non-payment..

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How do " travelling people" get around this?

I did admin work for a Romany family at one time. One of the family was "settled" and his office was the home address for all family members. I made sure that all the paperwork was filed and that all vehicles were taxed, tested and insured, dealt with all the legal stuff. When Norm did go off on his travels I ran the office in his absence.

These people were true Romany (as I am in part) not the travellers that have the bad reputations. :)

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
This is one of those things that sounds fantastic until you start to go into it in more detail. It seems to me that even if you've got a relatives address to use whilst you go off as free as a bird and full-time, if you're unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident that writes off a massive motorhome, or some foreign slag steals it, I struggle to imagine an insurance company paying out enough to buy you a new one without asking questions? Has this actually happened to anyone? I know Comfort will insure you in this situation, but has anyone actually claimed?
I don't know but I would imagine they'd be devious enough to require proof that you were actually residing at the relatives address as a bare minimum, utility bills for example? Knowing Insurance Companies they'd find a way to avoid paying out...
I reckon the only sure way you'd be safe would be to use a property as a base. It obviously couldn't be let because you'd have to be on the electoral register - which means you couldn't get an income from it, so you'd have to have other means. You'd have to return for short spells to keep it legal, but at least you wouldn't need full timers insurance which strikes me as being confusing to understand and to qualify for to say the least.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
This is one of those things that sounds fantastic until you start to go into it in more detail. It seems to me that even if you've got a relatives address to use whilst you go off as free as a bird and full-time, if you're unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident that writes off a massive motorhome, or some foreign slag steals it, I struggle to imagine an insurance company paying out enough to buy you a new one without asking questions? Has this actually happened to anyone? I know Comfort will insure you in this situation, but has anyone actually claimed?
I don't know but I would imagine they'd be devious enough to require proof that you were actually residing at the relatives address as a bare minimum, utility bills for example? Knowing Insurance Companies they'd find a way to avoid paying out...
I reckon the only sure way you'd be safe would be to use a property as a base. It obviously couldn't be let because you'd have to be on the electoral register - which means you couldn't get an income from it, so you'd have to have other means. You'd have to return for short spells to keep it legal, but at least you wouldn't need full timers insurance which strikes me as being confusing to understand and to qualify for to say the least.

But surely if you are paying for full time insurance they know you are not living at the address that you give them and are just using it for vehicle registration etc. If the insurance was not valid i don't see them offering it to you..BUSBY.

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
But surely if you are paying for full time insurance they know you are not living at the address that you give them and are just using it for vehicle registration etc. If the insurance was not valid i don't see them offering it to you..BUSBY.

I'd be concerned that their underwriters might ask questions if the claim was big enough? I just can't recall ever reading or hearing of any full-timer making a claim for all the years I've been involved in motorhoming - hopefully I'm wrong.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It obviously couldn't be let because you'd have to be on the electoral register - which means you couldn't get an income from it, so you'd have to have other means. You'd have to return for short spells to keep it legal, but at least you wouldn't need full timers insurance which strikes me as being confusing to understand and to qualify for to say the least.

You could be on the electoral register at your "accommodation" address and let out your own house.

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
don’t try and buck the system it always backfires and you end up screwed, never take insurance companies for fools they have heard it all before, as for renting out your house i would think twice about that, i have had experience of it, never again

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It seems to me that even if you've got a relatives address to use whilst you go off as free as a bird and full-time, if you're unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident that writes off a massive motorhome, or some foreign slag steals it, I struggle to imagine an insurance company paying out enough to buy you a new one without asking questions? Has this actually happened to anyone? I know Comfort will insure you in this situation, but has anyone actually claimed?

If you declare you are full time and are insured as such, the relatives address is only for a contact address , a c/o mailing address,.. you don't require to live there or pay any bills ..
If your van is stolen or damaged in an accident you would need somewhere to live while it is being repaired or replaced..that is why the full timers insurance is expensive..

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
yes of course but alwyas tell the truth is what i am saying, when appying for insurance, then they sting you for ££££££ but if anything goes wrong a refused claim you have the turuth to back you up,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back