Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Hi we have sold our swift gazelle and in the next couple of weeks we will be buying a newer motorhome, what would be the best way to pay ? It is a substantial amount of money and was wondering how others have paid, it a private sell so not sure if I want to transfer the money before getting the van ,hope someone can help and give me some advice.

PS have done a HPI check and it all comes back clear .
thanks chris.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Can you not take a laptop/iPad with you and do a bank transfer before driving away? That way you will be sure all is OK before parting with your money (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We did bank transfer but there is a limit per day sometimes so you might have to do it over a few days.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
For goodness sake be careful we don't want you loosing anything.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I think normal "internet banking" type transfers are still reversible, I wouldn't accept one.

If you can go into their bank and get the bank to make the transfer, that is then guaranteed.

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
do not send any money upfront about 2 months after I bought my motorhome, I found it for sale on eBay £10,000 less than I paid for it, it was advertised with the same photo that was on the advert when I bought it so if someone had HPI`d the reg number it would have come up clear, buyer beware, touch it before paying and like Baycott says bank transfer from ipad smart phone etc, that's what I did.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I think normal "internet banking" type transfers are still reversible, I wouldn't accept one.

If you can go into their bank and get the bank to make the transfer, that is then guaranteed.

Money transferred into an account cannot be reversed. Unless criminal activity has taken place . Only the banks can do that and they have to Very certain what they are doing . The OP is looking for the best / safest way to pay not receive money.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
go see the van and check it over including ALL the paperwork. check the vehicle VIN in 2 places on the van as well as on the V5 log book. when happy go to the nearest branch of your bank with the seller and do the transfer and him hand everything over. best to pre-warn the bank you will be making the purchase though and how much you intend to transfer the week before

oh and make sure the address on the log book and other paperwork matches the address you are buying from, or ask to see a current utility bill for confirmation if at a storage facility. all simple things to overlook when very excited about buying a new van

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just check sellers ID and make sure he lives there (passport and utility bills) HPI means nothing if its a professionally done ringer. Members on here have been done. Absolute caution the name of the game...sorry

Edit: crossed with above but you get the drift

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Did you sell you van privately and , if so how were you paid ?

We have just sold ours & were paid via transfer a couple of days before collection, our last van
we sold privately as well & the same payment procedure.

Do you not trust the person you are purchasing from to release the van once you have paid??.

A did sell a van once, guy came with £16,000 in an Asda carrier bag :eek::eek:

Karl

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I once went to buy a 2 year old van for my business. checked the reg with HPI etc and all was good. that was until I was looking over the van and spotted the VIN didnt match the log book. I walked away, but did some checks including with the police. it turns out the company that owned it first had sold 2 vans at auction and somehow the plates got swapped over "by accident". yeah pull the other one, its got bells on

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

We have just sold ours & were paid via transfer a couple of days before collection, our last van
we sold privately as well & the same payment procedure.

Do you not trust the person you are purchasing from to release the van once you have paid??.

Karl
I often buy vans and caravans for cash, but always have full iD available and am happy to go with the seller to the bank to get it counted and checked. Nothing dodgy about it, but I tend to get a better deal for cash. its a psychology thing and £20,000 in cash looks prettier than a cheque or bankers draft and less hassle

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do no pay anything, except a small holding deposit (refundable if problems found) beforehand, until you are completely happy with the vehicle do NOT pay the balance. Once okay and you're satisfied with it after checking the VIN etc as has been suggested above, then, and only then, pay the balance by bank transfer, either in branch, internet, or via phone banking but make sure you've made arrangements for this beforehand otherwise it could be awkward if they refuse to do it there and then! Another option, if you don't want to have the hassle of pre-arranging it with the bank, is to make the transfer of the balance in chunks from different accounts of no more than the daily limit on each of them so they don't get stopped, this again should be done after you're happy with the van. It does mean that you have to have sufficient accounts which are accessible to you to do the transfers from and spread the dosh around them as necessary. My preference would be for the single 'prearranged' bank transfer.

When we bought a motorhome 250 miles away from a dealer, in order to avoid any problems with the bank, we actually paid the £12,000 balance in cash! It was hilarious when we went to the bank to draw it out (we'd prearranged for it to be there for us) ... the bank manager dealt with us personally and took us into one of the small 'conference' rooms off the main foyer. Once we'd been able to confirm we were who we said we were he toddled off to get the cash ... the way he walked back across the foyer with a large envelope and into the room was a sight to behold ... everyone in there must have known he was carrying a fair bit of dosh from his body language and his scuttling ... you'd think he'd never touched money before ... putting up a sign above him saying "I've got a load of dosh" wouldn't have been any more obvious ... he had us in stitches! It was just like a sketch you'd expect to see on Monty Python!!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I once went to buy a 2 year old van for my business. checked the reg with HPI etc and all was good. that was until I was looking over the van and spotted the VIN didnt match the log book. I walked away, but did some checks including with the police. it turns out the company that owned it first had sold 2 vans at auction and somehow the plates got swapped over "by accident". yeah pull the other one, its got bells on
just re-read my post and it reads like I am advising the op to do this, but i am not. only pay large sums in cash if you know exactly what you are doing and take security measures to protect yourself.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
my banks only allow a £20k internet transfer per day, I think some banks are slightly higher but not much. So if the final transfer is more than that you may have to make other arrangements with your bank and theirs.

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Ours was a private sale, as stated before a deposit should be enough to show you are serious, but do not pay in advance.

after making all the usual expected checks, this is what we did as we were 120miles from home....

went online (at the sellers home) and tried to transfer the money but there's a 20k daily limit, soooo, went to the nearest local branch of my bank withdrew £20k in cash and transferred the rest, no problem, I had all id with me etc. they (bank) couldn't have been more helpful.

as an aside I could have done a bank transfer at the branch but that would have incurred a £30 charge, but more importantly is not an immediate transfer, could take up till 5pm to show in the recipients account, no good to me as I wasn`t wanting to wait for 6 hours for the money to clear before I could drive away.

funny, bloke never even counted the cash! guess I missed an opportunity! (joke)

btw, if something doesn't smell right, ask the question or walk away.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We paid ours online directly into the sellers bank account. Seller watched us do it and was happy to hand over the keys. :)

Use a few different accounts if the sum is large.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Go with the seller to the bank? Really? I can't remember the last time I actually set foot in a bank.

Providing you take proper care of your internet security there is no risk with bank transfers.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

Karl[/QUOTE

Wouldn't happen now. You'd have to factor in the extra 5p for the bag!

Wyn

OP
OP
xjrchris

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Thanks for all the reply , I spoke to the bank today and I have a 25k transfer limit, so will have to pay it in 2 parts , 1 on the Thursday and the other when I hopefully pick it up on a Saturday.
Hopefully in a couple of weeks time ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for all the reply , I spoke to the bank today and I have a 25k transfer limit, so will have to pay it in 2 parts , 1 on the Thursday and the other when I hopefully pick it up on a Saturday.
DO NOT PRE-PAY!!!!!

If you can't pay it all via a transfer from your bank, consider taking the rest in cash - do NOT pay anything other than the basic deposit until you collect the vehicle!

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Eh, did you read any of the previous posts?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What's to stop you getting the money in two days then take it all together when you pick it up,

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Going through all these posts, no one seems to have mentioned the good old cheque, if you can get him to take one, it solves all your problems(y):)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
What's to stop you getting the money in two days then take it all together when you pick it up,
That was an internet transfer limit between accounts, cash like that sum would need a pre arranged collection agreement.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I was always told it was the "cleared balance of the account " without any pre arrangement.
Smaller banks have to get the money ordered in I think!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back