Dec 1, 2014
Nr Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,
After reading a previous thread :- When does one become a proficient Motorhomer? I do not feel too embarrassed :oops: to ask this question, although we have had a motorhome for three years. On our old, but much loved van, there is a rocker switch that you can switch onto cab battery, leisure battery, or on EHU put in the middle (hope this is clear). My question is, Is it trickle charging both batteries on this setting? I ask as we have just had a new digital radio fitted, and would like to use it on site, but obviously don't want to discharge the van battery. Should know this by now, I know :whistle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In the centre postion it isnt charging either battery, both batteries being isolated it provides 12v power directly from the charger only.

OP
OP
Motorhome Muppets

Motorhome Muppets

Free Member
Dec 1, 2014
Nr Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Ahh! That's how little I know. So if i was wanting to put the radio on - can I switch it to the engine battery or not?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We had that type of switch on our first van, a Swift Sundance based "Lifestyle" 590RL, my recollection is as per PJ.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If its an old vehicle there is no guarantee how the wiring or components work, they may well also have been modified at some time.

I suggest take a multimeter and measure the voltage across the terminals of each battery. Then connect up the EHU and measure them again while trying the switch in different positions. Any increase in voltage, could be a volt or more will tell you the position when that battery is charging.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ahh! That's how little I know. So if i was wanting to put the radio on - can I switch it to the engine battery or not?
Yes, then the charger will charge the starter battery AND power the hab 12v and if not on hookup it will simply use the starter battery to power the hab 12v.
In that position it will not charge the hab battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Motorhome Muppets

Motorhome Muppets

Free Member
Dec 1, 2014
Nr Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, then the charger will charge the starter battery AND power the hab 12v and if not on hookup it will simply use the starter battery to power the hab 12v.
In that position it will not charge the hab battery.

And powering the 240V on EHU?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back