Wanting to buy my first motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Billynixon

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello, I'm looking for a motorhome preferable coach built and nothing too dated. Have around £5,000 to spend. Is there anything out there? Thanks.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hello, I'm looking for a motorhome preferable coach built and nothing too dated. Have around £5,000 to spend. Is there anything out there? Thanks.
For that kind of price range it will probably be quite old, (unless you are very lucky) so budget for replacing things that deteriorate with age and mileage and have a tame mechanic on hand (yourself?) or a good warranty !!! 5K does not go too far in the MH world :( I found this one
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/113947333/swift-kon-tiki-motorhome-price-reduced.html

Bear in mind that as winter approaches so theoretically your bargaining power goes up, as some people may want to be shot of the MH rather than store it for the winter.

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello Billynixon and welcome.

Your budget is small but doable if you are able to do a bit of maintenance and improvements yourself. But as for not wanting 'dated' the older ones are usually better made (if they have been cared for) so keep your mind open as to age and style. A modern coach built for £5,000 is going to be a hard search. Plenty of scams about at that price too so be careful.

A bit more information of size, how many travelling etc would help?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
£5000 will buy a 20 year old motorhome so your requirement for "nothing too dated" is pretty much impossible.
nothing wrong with owning an old van though as they tend to have a much easier life than an equivalent car that age. but you need to wade through the adverts for rusty or damp vehicles to find a really good one

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That is a big ask; :)

Broken Link Removed

12 months MOT Habitation check etc??:cautious:

(y)

Hmmmm.. That all looks good until you get to the MPG..

1987 27 years old this has done the test of time brilliant on fuel average 47 to the gallon

Yessssssss... with such an obvious and nutty fib it may be worth taking the rest of the info with a pinch of salt !

But.. well worth a look !!!!!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Hello Welcome to Fun, as others have said I would think you would be looking at a older van especially if you are looking at Coach Built. Important things to check for in this price range are damp and scams.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Hmmmm.. That all looks good until you get to the MPG..

Yessssssss... with such an obvious and nutty fib it may be worth taking the rest of the info with a pinch of salt !

But.. well worth a look !!!!!
Well spotted, but they did not actually state 47 what to the gallon. :giggler:

There is another nugget in there:

'we recently papered the inside to our taste'

That may well be true, but its also often done after damp repairs or to hide damp.

Last edited:

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Well spotted, but they did not actually state 47 what to the gallon. :giggler:

There is another nugget in there:

'we recently papered the inside to our taste'

That may well be true, but its also often done after damp repairs or to hide damp.

Obviously not worth a look at then.

After all we are talking £5,000 not £50,000.

Full MOT No advisories, Habitation check No damp.

Only an example of what is available.

See what you mean :confused:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Just pointing out a re-wall papering is always worth a further investigation (y)

OP
OP
Billynixon

Billynixon

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you everyone. I will take all into consideration. Yes I have noticed a lot of scams around on eBay and probably other sites however the only way I will do a transaction is cash only so I should be ok. Hopefully in the next month or 2 the budget should go up to around 9-10 thousand so hopefully more doable.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Nice van. Identical van to 'Delyth' - layout & engine/chassis. 35MPG.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thank you everyone. I will take all into consideration. Yes I have noticed a lot of scams around on eBay and probably other sites however the only way I will do a transaction is cash only so I should be ok. Hopefully in the next month or 2 the budget should go up to around 9-10 thousand so hopefully more doable.
Now ya talking! With careful shopping a 1995 (ish) Hymer that has had an easy life could well be with in your reach. As older vans go the Hymers are definitely the ones to go for, especially If you don't mind left hand drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back