Towing a small car (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2015
Hampshire. England
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 624
Exp
Since 2015
Does anyone have any advice about putting a small car on the back of the MoHo using an A frame with regard to Ferries, laws abroad etc? I have the right driving licence.
Thanks
Mike

Deleted User
Mike,

If you put "a frames" into the search box top right and tick "title" you'll discover loads of threads on this subject.

It's one of the most popular topics :)

Along with gassing, grey water, dog poo and freeloading (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
who's got the popcorn? a frame threads can be great fun. are they legal? well in this country they're not illegal....yet. spain and germany, not legal

is a car with an a frame a trailer? NO
are the old cable overrun brakes legal? NO

it really is a can of worms and those that own them argue they are and should be legal. other people argue the various points of law and hate them

the only guaranteed legal and safe way to tow a car is on a trailer specially designed to transport small cars. not a massive difference in price

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
who's got the popcorn? a frame threads can be great fun. are they legal? well in this country they're not illegal....yet. spain and germany, not legal

it really is a can of worms and those that own them argue they are and should be legal. other people argue the various points of law and hate them

the only guaranteed legal and safe way to tow a car is on a trailer specially designed to transport small cars. not a massive difference in price

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

You forgot one - will a heated debate ensue? YES

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I book the car as a trailer on the ferry, and have towed it over most of Europe. The law for spain is that only a registered recovery can tow a car without it being on a trailer.Many still risk it.
Never had a problem in Germany even had the police look at the system to find out how the brakes work and advised to have speed limit markers on the back, 80k and 90k.
my advice would to have an electronic brake system and for your own security a camera system to see the car at all times. also with e/brakes the a frame is much lighter and easier to fit.

OP
OP
The Silvers
Aug 9, 2015
Hampshire. England
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 624
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks to all. I didn't realise it was going to be such a minefield! I will look at the a frame threads & look at trailers. I am still very active but the boss has difficulty walking so it is for her benefit. I did suggest getting a motorbike but that fell flat!
Thanks again
Mike

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
stock-photo-men-at-the-cinema-excited-young-men-watching-movie-at-the-cinema-and-eating-popcorn-148168529.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In the eyes of the DVSA it is a trailer providing it meets trailer requirements and providing the brakes meet the required trailer efficiency regulations over-run braking is also acceptable.
The law has/will change with regard to brakes depending if the vehicle is centre axle or not so the above may be outdated....and if not yet it will be.
Centre axle will remain legal using over-run but obviously a car does not have a centre axle configuration so the brakes must be air, air over hydraulic, hydraulic or electric.

The only body who can actually say it is legal or not is a court of law.....and as no UK law court has made a precedence it remains acceptable

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Mike, I am selling an a frame at the moment, Towtal make, electronic braking system, excellent condition, cost £1500 to have fitted, asking about £400. pm if interested.
Cheers, Dave(y)

John Larkum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starlett
Exp
since 2011
My wife and I spent 8 weeks in Spain late Jan, Feb and early March this year - taking ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao return. We towed a Smart car on an A-frame with an additional demountable breaking system. During out time away we were towing the Smart quite often as we moved from place to place. We went right down to Gibralter, so the full length of Spain.

On arrival at Bilbao there were Police at the exit of the port as we drove off the boat fully connected - we were not stopped. We drove mostly on non-toll motorways and main roads sometimes being passed by police, sometimes seeing them at junctions etc. On one occasion on a dual carriageway, two guardia civil motorbikes came up from behind and took a good long look at the outfit ending with one motorbike ahead of us and the other behind (we think they were checking that the number plate on the back of the Smart was the same as that of the motorhome. They did not flag us down or seek to speak to us but ended up driving off "into the sunset."

On another occasion while we were driving around one seaside town, detached but following one another, my wife (who was driving the Smart) was stooped by police who had spotted the tow connections on the front of the Smart. The police wanted to know what the connections were for and my wife told them. The police said it was illegal to tow that way but because we were NOT towing at the time they took no action but went through all the usual roadside checks (tax, ins, MOT etc on the Smart.

Having read up various forums before going to Spain, we were fully prepared to be stopped and having to drive separately but were very thankful that we had no problems throughout the whole holiday. We found having the Smart to drive around locally (wherever we stopped for any time) was a great help and benefit. I did take with me the "legal literature" duly translated that you can download from any of the A-frame suppliers' websites. Fortunately, I did not have to try to argue the point with any Spanish police. My basic understanding of EU principles is that "if your outfit is LEGAL in your country then it is legal in any EU country." Anyway, if as I hope, we LEAVE the EU then it could well be that when we go back to Spain in early 2017 towing the Smart behind us on an A-frame - all hell will break loose!!!

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
I wouldn't tow an a frame in Spain. I have both, the car and trailer is not much longer than the car and A Frame either.
And after the mistake made last week the Guardia Civil won't be that civil.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back