Pure sine wave inverter but how much £? (1 Viewer)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I am looking for a 200w pure sine wave inverter but a 1500w one would do if it really is 1500w output. There are plenty to choose from especially expensive ones at £500 upwards but can anyone suggest something more reasonably priced that has been actually fitted and tested?
I suppose that most are rebadged Chinese machines but getting a honest review is not easy.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Firstly I have never found the need for or seen any advantage in a pure sine wave inverter.
I had a standard 1800W Stirling inverter on my narrow boat for over 8 years running 24/7 with no problems what so ever.
I've had a standard EBay 1000W inverters in my vans for 5 years with no problem

OP
OP
Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The reason for using pure is that Mrs M's hair straighteners will not work on modified wave and only need about 150w but as I am fitting it to power all sockets, I want the microwave to work as well which as its electronic also needs pure sine wave.
I have tried a 2000w modified sine unit but it will not run either of these.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you need only 200 watts then you should be able to get a decent quality PSW inverter for under £200. I Have had a 150W Sterling for about 7 years but if buying today I would also consider Victron or Waeco.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/?_n...=&LH_CAds=&clk_rvr_id=918831332332&rmvSB=true
If you want to run the microwave oven, I think the inverter will need to be able to handle at least double the power rating of the oven to allow for the start-up current. According to the 'experts' some modified sine wave inverters will run a microwave oven - I guess it depends on the quality of the inverter. A good quality modern quasi-sine wave, or modified sine wave inverter is a more capable beast than a cheap square-wave form inverter.
n.b. I have heard tales of woe where modified sine-wave inverters have 'cooked' expensive GHD hair-straighteners.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My iMac needs pure sine and will not start-up using modified. I've had a laserjet and a bubblejet printer refuse to work with modified; and of course the toothbrush chargers. Most everything else has worked OK.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Cheapest option is probably to buy a small PSW inverter for the sensitive stuff and a large quasi/modified wave inverter for the microwave oven and anything else.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Never been a fan of Sterling products since having one of their alternator boosters on our Narrowboat. It got so hot that a fire was inevitable, fortunately we only had charred cables to replace.
Victron or Waeco every time for us, neither are cheap, but you get what you pay for.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I also have a small 200w Sterling PSW for running the MacBook , charging camera batteries, toothbrush.. and anything else that cannot be charged via a 12v supply with an adapter.

Have you ever wondered why no constructor or manufacturer install a large inverter as standard equipment ?

Frankly, if you need a 2kw inverter .. you would be better on an EHU..

OP
OP
Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have a 1000w psw fitted but 24v so the charging regime is a pain. The only reason for fitting a 2000w unit is that as it is wired into the sockets using @Techno100 super relay mod, it may as well be big enough to work what's already fitted.
We do not want ehu or sites but the inverter is for minimal usage like defrosting food and of course the bloody hair straightener :)
Yes it is not essential but I would rather have it and why not?
Manufacturers do not fit as they do not have 500ah of battery capacity but I already have that. 12v charging of things is no problem.
The question still remains as to has anyone bought a budget unit and are they happy with it?

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
try looking at this guys stuff .:) UPS TRADER SHOP ON EBAY . ALL HIS GEAR COMES WITH WARRANTY good stuff been using an ups inverter in my home for years with no trouble

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
To OP yes I bought a budget 1500/2000 watt pure sine inverter £150 ish I think.
We use it a lot hairdryer microwave remoska etc etc.
We also have a big traction battery bank plus 2 solar panels.
The unit has been perfect and given no trouble and is used regularly.
Will post a link later when back home on pc if you want it.
Hope this helps (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Frankly, if you need a 2kw inverter .. you would be better on an EHU..
It really depends on your individual power needs
We have a 2kw inverter but don't use EHU
We need short bursts of high KW's for our espresso machine and Mrs C's hair dryer. Each only need a few moments of power so don't drain our batteries
Our 2 x 100w solar panels and a b2b charger generate enough to keep the batteries topped up all the time

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It really depends on your individual power needs
We have a 2kw inverter but don't use EHU
We need short bursts of high KW's for our espresso machine and Mrs C's hair dryer. Each only need a few moments of power so don't drain our batteries
Our 2 x 100w solar panels and a b2b charger generate enough to keep the batteries topped up all the time

fair comment..

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We have a Waeco 550W modified sine wave inverter in the trailer and a Chinese 1500W PSW in the Mercedes.

Neither will get used a huge amount, but it is handy to have 240V when there is no EHU, a soldering iron job on our satnav cradle was one such instance.

Peter

OP
OP
Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
As promised.
Heres where I got mine brilliant been using it for over a year and do use it a lot.

Broken Link Removed
Thank you, just what I was hoping to hear.
Plenty of kit at silly money but this seems very good value especially as it would only be used about 10 or 15 minutes a day.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If I was fitting an inverter in my MH now I would go for a pure sine wave as they are so much cheaper than when I fitted mine some years back. My modified square wave inverter runs everything including the microwave.
I have a small 300w pure sine wave inverter (about £30) just to charge the toothbrushes, overkill I know but the smallest I could find at a reasonable price. It is wired with a 5A fuse, which is more than enough to run the shaver socket where we charge the toothbrushes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back