Spotted a Red Kite over Watford today. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This is the first one I have seen in the town, It was slowly flying around in circles just above me I could see its eyes looking straight at me. Just googled it, loads of sightings around the town recently. Look out pigeons. :)

Reactions: DBK

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Could have been the same one I saw over King's Lynn yesterday.

red kite.jpg

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Must have been seduced by the recent weather. I would have expected them all to have left for warmer climes, just like many on here do. :D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Red Kites,birds of prey ?. Moved out here,thought,now is the time to get some Tumbler Pidgeons,(Or Rollers?).We have a super view down the valley,and sat out on the balcony one morning spotted.......... TWO BLOODY GREAT BUZZARDS, patroling the valley. They are here most days,so i thought,keep the memory of the Tumblers flying/tumbling around the sky at a farm i used to deliver papers to (Seems like a hundred years ago). and forget buying Tumblers,as in BUZZARD FOOD!!. Isn't it funny,some memories never fade.
Back to Red Kites, Chinnor cutting? M40 ? There used to be several squadrons of them there a few years back ,i used to run coal into Chinnor Cement works ?
Tea Bag

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
This is the first one I have seen in the town, It was slowly flying around in circles just above me I could see its eyes looking straight at me. Just googled it, loads of sightings around the town recently. Look out pigeons. :)
They mostly eat carrion, not live food, so the feral pigeons might be safe..........

Are you sure it wasn't a rampant Welsh dragon??

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi DuxDeLux
FERAL PIGEONS ??? Tumblers are NOT Feral pigeons,they are pampered nay cosseted members of a very High flying group of birds,mine would have been scourced from Olympic Gold medal winning stock,(Well,localy LOL).
Although what you say may be true,i will keep my T/Pig. money in my pocket and instead enjoy the flights of these magnificent birds as they ride the thermals up and down the ridges looking for food.
Tea Bag

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am in Wales currently and have been enjoying lots of flying displays by these impressive birds.

When I first went fulltiming I met @maz who is a bird watcher and it wasn't a topic of conversation I enjoyed I have to admit.

I am a much changed person now and really enjoy them.

However you can keep the bloody Jackdaws and crows. They may be intelligent but they are noisy fekkers who should all be shot. Not a fan of pigeons either except when they are on the plate.

Red Kites however are magnificent and I could watch them for hours..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you think kites or buzzards are impressive, well they are and I get to see them from my garden, then the great bustard will impress you. on the ground they stand 3ft tall but in flight they have an 8ft wingspan
http://greatbustard.org/

being brought back from extinction

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
if you think kites or buzzards are impressive, well they are and I get to see them from my garden, then the great bustard will impress you. on the ground they stand 3ft tall but in flight they have an 8ft wingspan
http://greatbustard.org/

being brought back from extinction
What do they taste like?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have seen Red Kites circling above us at Uxbridge, just a few miles from Heathrow Airport.
With the Kites in the sky and the Urban Foxes walking the streets it's like living in the country.
Brisey.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi DuxDeLux
FERAL PIGEONS ??? Tumblers are NOT Feral pigeons,they are pampered nay cosseted members of a very High flying group of birds,mine would have been scourced from Olympic Gold medal winning stock,(Well,localy LOL).
Although what you say may be true,i will keep my T/Pig. money in my pocket and instead enjoy the flights of these magnificent birds as they ride the thermals up and down the ridges looking for food.
Tea Bag
They are still pigeons, though ;) little sods try to destroy my fruit trees every year......:(

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have seen Red Kites circling above us at Uxbridge, just a few miles from Heathrow Airport.
With the Kites in the sky and the Urban Foxes walking the streets it's like living in the country.
Brisey.
Just like it used to be. The Red Kite was a common scavenger on London's streets in the 17th century.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Brisey.

We have some huge foxes that come into our garden. Really healthy looking.

A few years back we had plenty of foxes but they were all skinny , diseased ridden things.

Must be the Tory Government or Liam Fox is pulling the strings behind the scenes.

Reactions: DBK

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Watford's not far from High Wycombe (my home town) where Red Kites were reintroduced in the 90s. They have been so successful that they are now seen as 'trash birds' in the area as you see them everywhere.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Watford's not far from High Wycombe (my home town) where Red Kites were reintroduced in the 90s. They have been so successful that they are now seen as 'trash birds' in the area as you see them everywhere.

That's right, as well as Wales and up North they were re-introduced at Aston Rowant (just outside High Wycombe) in the early 90s and have gradually been moving outwards from there. I used to live in Aylesbury and had them dropping into our garden regular. Now living in Cheltenham and they're not there yet but I have seen them as close as Birdlip and Northleach.

Cheers
Alan

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
They were re-introduced in Harewood near Leeds and have slowly spread out year by year. We see red kites from our house and they are now often seen in Leeds city centre.

If we have had a BBQ and leave a sausage on the grass they swoop down for it. Its amazing how quick and accurate they are.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back