Diesel heater fitted anyone?? (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I'm contemplating having a diesel heater fitted to my motorhome.
Has anyone had such an item fitted in the North East and is happy with the installation. Please PM me with good and bad points and who to trust, if anyone.
Thanks,
Wilf

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
they can be noisy for anyone you park next to , we had a pilote parked next to us at el campello and his sounded like a mini jet engine.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Great bit of kit, used it this year whilst in UK and very economical.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Just taken one out of a friends van and put a gas one in, they were fed up of complaints from people on adjoining pitches.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Had one parked behind us in Germany sounded like a bloody jet engine woke us so god knows how you sleep with it going.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have one and it is noisy only a bit to start with. But not that bad that people inside their vans could hear it.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
They "click click" on starting,then you get the jet engine noise,they get up to the setting,then they click off...... But the fan keeps going for a while, to cool the unit down. Consider it to be akin to a "Blow Lamp!!" You are roasting,then cool,then roasting,plus the noise. (Click,click,i am coming on again LOL)
As regard to being parked near/next to a unit with one,not only do you get the noise,you get the "Diesel fumes". Next time you have the misfortune to be in a M/way service area this winter,at night,go to the lorry park,hear the noise,smell the fumes........ Why are the lorry drivers sleeping through all this ? Because they haven't yet got around to fitting Alde,or blown air heating in the cabs,and they cannot hear theirs,because of all the others blasting away.
If you really want to be antisocial,the trick is if you want an undisturbed nights sleep with a diesel heater/blow lamp,fire it up to MAX ! go down the pub for a few scoops,come back to the unit and switch it off it will be roasting,get into bed and snuggle down zzzzzzz's. In the morning,have a stick or some thing handy,that can reach to turn the Blow lamp on,give it 15 mins,up you get,pull your kecks on and away you go,sorted.
The only thing in its favour,is that it is better than nothing.......... JUST! ALDE or Blown Air , NOT Blow lamp.....LOL
Tea Bag

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The noisy ones are Eberspachers installed without a silencer. The silencers are an extra but should be a standard fitting.

We have the Webasto dualtop and it is quiet outside but can be a little noisy inside the MH when it is on full throttle - but it is mightely powerful.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
The noisy ones are Eberspachers installed without a silencer. The silencers are an extra but should be a standard fitting.

We have the Webasto dualtop and it is quiet outside but can be a little noisy inside the MH when it is on full throttle - but it is mightely powerful.

Ah now I never knew about silencers on these heaters.:censored: I've been used to them for decades in ambulances but they certainly don't have silencers fitted. My last 15yrs in the ambulance service were worked from home on an "on call" system with the ambulance parked right outside my house & even through decent quality double glazing I found the noise unbearable. I had a wee notion to fit one for wild camping but I've always hated the noise they made. (y)

Reactions: DBK
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph's just fitted ( by himself) a webasto air top evo 40 , 4kw heater to our PVC ("Pug")
He put a exhaust silencer on it. It's also got a combustion air pipe silencer already in the kit.
It's not like one of those Rv's we've been parked up next to in the past. With the Furness !!
You hear like a whirling air movement when it first goes on . But it's certainly not noisy. In or out of the van. If it was noisy I wouldn't be able to sleep.
It's also got 3 different power settings and an eco mode . Which are adjustable on the smart controller .
It's very warm and very quiet.

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
automotive electrical in mirfield. You will not be disappointed. 01924495726 ask for Liz lovely girl , Family business definitely know what they are doing. I was advised to see them by a rep at the CVM show .

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well, never had anyone complain about it to date, but ours has a exhaust silencer fitted. At the end of the day keeps us warm so not that bothered what goes on outside.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Here we go!

Lots of complaints from the diesel haters who's only experience of them is an unsilenced 20 year old unit in a lorry cab!

Hi.
You could not be further from the truth in my case....oooops. Had one fitted in a BRAND new '09 Timberland Endeavour,(NOT by choice !!).

Mind you,it was JUST as noisy outside as the ones i had in cabs in the...Mid '70's..... ( Forty years ago,was it that long ago ?) with the exception being,the Timberland was just a smidgen better insulated inside,but you could still hear it despite the wall to wall carpet. (Click,click,whoosh,click,click,LOL)
If you do get one fitted,think carefully about where you have the hot air inlet positioned in your unit,if you have it any where near where you sit,it could boil your legs,oh, and when..sorry IF it goes wrong in the winter,nip in any proper haulage yard and a "Man will fix it".
Tea Bag.
PS. Going to the pub while it warms the unit up is stiil the way to go.

Deleted User
Hi.
You could not be further from the truth in my case....oooops. Had one fitted in a BRAND new '09 Timberland Endeavour,(NOT by choice !!).

Mind you,it was JUST as noisy outside as the ones i had in cabs in the...Mid '70's..... ( Forty years ago,was it that long ago ?) with the exception being,the Timberland was just a smidgen better insulated inside,but you could still hear it despite the wall to wall carpet. (Click,click,whoosh,click,click,LOL)
If you do get one fitted,think carefully about where you have the hot air inlet positioned in your unit,if you have it any where near where you sit,it could boil your legs,oh, and when..sorry IF it goes wrong in the winter,nip in any proper haulage yard and a "Man will fix it".
Tea Bag.
PS. Going to the pub while it warms the unit up is stiil the way to go.

You had a night heater in the seventies!!!!........I could only dream about night heaters as I froze my ******** off on a camp bed over the engine cover of an Atki Borderer:)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We had a new to us truck join the fleet of quite old trucks, it came with a night heater. Get that fu**ing thing out of there he said, or they'll all bloody want one :LOL:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
You had a night heater in the seventies!!!!........I could only dream about night heaters as I froze my ******** off on a camp bed over the engine cover of an Atki Borderer:)
We had a new to us truck join the fleet of quite old trucks, it came with a night heater. Get that fu**ing thing out of there he said, or they'll all bloody want one :LOL:

Hi you two old farts.
Happy days,when cabs were wood and men were STEEL......... (And....Stole LOL) matamoros,did your Borderer have the windscreens held in place by 5" nails,and paper jammed in the cracks between them and the cab ? LOL. Mine had done a Million miles with Don Valley Rolling Mills,before i got my hands on it,loved it.
Tea Bag

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I tried as many did to sleep with the engine on fast idle to cut down the vibration to get some heat in the cab, then drive carefully for fifty miles the next day so it didn't show up on the fuel consumption.:LOL:
Also lean out of bed and light the cooker to boil the kettle for a brew worked too. ;)

Deleted User
Hi you two old farts.
Happy days,when cabs were wood and men were STEEL......... (And....Stole LOL) matamoros,did your Borderer have the windscreens held in place by 5" nails,and paper jammed in the cracks between them and the cab ? LOL. Mine had done a Million miles with Don Valley Rolling Mills,before i got my hands on it,loved it.
Tea Bag

Ah nostalgia, loved the old Atki, still do but wouldn't fancy a night out in one now......must have been harder in them days....or just younger:)

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have to say I'm not a fan of any of the night heaters I've come across in trucks, the noise I can sleep through, but the air they pump out is so dry it's unbearable.

I haven't done tramping for a while so I've no idea if the night heaters have improved but driver comfort isn't high on firms list of priorities so I'm guessing not.

I'd imagine ones available for MH would be better as comfort is a priority.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
From my limited experience they can be noisy however if I was on a campsite with hookup I would be using 240V heating. When camping offsite with no neighbours I guess it could be very handy having an additional source of heat. Though I wouldn't want it to be my sole source as I think they work out a little more expensive than LPG for a propane heater?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
it's difficult to quantify but I would say it's more ecomical than LPG,
least wise it doesn't drop the fuel gauge enough to notice,
if you use both silencers ( intake and exhaust) then they are quiet inside and barely audible outside, the clicking fuel pump isn't a problem if you use the latest mount from eperbacher,
diesel smells are only a problem if you allow the exhaust outlet pipe too route near a drop down vent, ( poor installation )
as said previously it's a great bit of kit! and I wouldn't be without it in winter,

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
We have one..... OK when wilding. Very noisy, smells a little on start up, economical, and hot as hell. We tend to use a small catalytic gas heater with individual gas bottles, available from Camping and General for £19.99 with gas bottles at about £5. 00 for six. Ok for us in a PVC, but don't go to bed and leave it going.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I would like to thanks everyone for there help and advice with my diesel heater question. I contacted a few of the funsters favourites but some of there prices and excuses were very off putting. Prices were as high as £2300.
I have found a company in the North East who will just do it without any of the usual it might or will need to see it first.
They are based in Sunderland and I traced them through a local garage friend. As it happens they carry out diesel fitting to a lot of motorhomes but don't need to advertise.
Once again many thanks.
Wilf

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I would like to thanks everyone for there help and advice with my diesel heater question. I contacted a few of the funsters favourites but some of there prices and excuses were very off putting. Prices were as high as £2300.
I have found a company in the North East who will just do it without any of the usual it might or will need to see it first.
They are based in Sunderland and I traced them through a local garage friend. As it happens they carry out diesel fitting to a lot of motorhomes but don't need to advertise.
Once again many thanks.
Wilf
I would have contacted a truck motor factor and found a local company that fits them to trucks. Haulage companies won't pay through the nose as MoHo dealers expect us to do IMO.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back