Is your motorhome the reason for travel or the mode for travel? (1 Viewer)

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
MMMMmmm, now let me think on this, okay, given it some thought process around 10 seconds. To go away in a hotel for a week, plus food out for two etc about 500 notes and more. A week on a campsite/campsites if you like two different venues, about 20% of that figure.

Recently been to Betws-y-Coed, to stay in a hotel their around 140/night + other expenses:confused:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I think mainly a reason to go away. I love travelling that way whereas I loath flying and particularly airports.
I can sleep in my own bed, not one that's been slept in, fornicated in etc by a thousand strangers and if the plumbing doesn't work I can probably fix it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That's a really good question. It clarifies some of my recent negative thinking.

When we bought the MH it was definitely as a mode of transport/ living to get around.
At the moment, because we have lots of things that need doing in the house to get it ready to sell, it's more of a reason to travel (can't be having it sitting around doing nothing!)
Hopefully once we've sold the house, whether we buy another one or not, the MH will once again be the mode of travelling & living; then I'll be full of the joys again!

So now I've thought that through I'm much happier, so thank you @chockswahay , that's helped me such a lot!
:thanks3:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our MH is an extension to our house, with wheels attached.

It's the reason why we choose to go to certain places and not to others, but not necessarily the reason why we go away. We go away without the MH when it suits us, but not often. If we didn't have it we'd still have holidays.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Mmmmhhh tricky!!

When I was 40 I left the RN after 24 short but colourfull years service and got a "proper job". As the kids were then all in their teens we bought a caravan so that we could get away for a weekend or annual holidays with or without offspring. It (and its successors) served us well for the next 30 years including taking all 7 of our Grandchildren away at different times as they grew up and loving it!! :)

Now that we are in our seventies, our grandchildren are in their twenties or late teens and our great grandchildren still babies or toddlers we (2 years ago) bought a motorhome and go away quite a lot including one 8 week and two 4 week trips abroad every year as well as some touring in the UK , we also intend to buy 2 E Bikes before our next long tour of Spain and Portugal (from Jan to April 2016) to extend the range of places we can visit.

So I guess in answer to the OP's original question is yes to both parts ( if that makes any sense) because usually our attitudes & circumstances change as time marches on!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's both. Or either. Sometimes one and sometimes the other to me !

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
For us it's the reason to travel. Every time I get behind the wheel - and like a true saddo that includes bringing it home from storage to either clean it or load it up - it makes me smile, like I'm already on holiday. We've covered around 25000 miles in it in the past 4 years and it is definitely a lifestyle choice. I don't mind the occasional stay in a hotel, but even though the cost of buying a motorhome would pay for many years of package holidays, I wouldn't swap.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Interesting question.

To me the cost isn't an issue - you could get an awful lot of nights in hotel rooms for the price of a motorhome.

We've visited a lot of places that we simply would never have thought of going to if we were using a different means of transport.

We also take the dogs pretty much everywhere we go which would be very difficult, if not impossible, using other accommodation.

The more I think about it the more I think my answer is "both".

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When the kids were young we were tuggers, tugged it and dumped it for one/two/three weeks next to a beach and everyone was happy. But since they all buggered off we started to go on fly away holidays and more recently touring in our Eunos Roadster and B&B but what a pain in the arse that was, so along came Mo and she is our escape mechanism, touring as we want and stopping where we feel and every day she is parked up is a holiday wasted. (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Every time I get behind the wheel - and like a true saddo that includes bringing it home from storage to either clean it or load it up - it makes me smile, like I'm already on holiday.

but even though the cost of buying a motorhome would pay for many years of package holidays, I wouldn't swap.

Same here, even sitting in it when it is still on the drive I feel happy.

When we bought Buffy I said "That is the up front cost of so many cruises" and we thought it was worth it...... the new motorhome I said "If it lasts 10 years and with no residual value that is £x a year"

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
And now for something completely different......on my way into Truro this morning I passed a motorhome going the opposite way. We were both going slowly so I waved at the driver, and blow me down, he waved back! Is that a first, and have I started a new craze?
And by the way I was in the car.......

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've been know to give a wave and thumbs up sign to motorhome drivers even when I've been in the car. But then I'm not proud, I'll also wave at delivery vans and horse boxes :)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
These answers are fantastic chaps and chappesses (is that a word? It is now!) keep 'em coming (y)

We love travelling, but when we get there we love being in the van too (especially at night when our transverse double bed feels like an adult cot:rolleyes:).

Primarily I would say the van is the medium for our next adventure (we love having adventures) however we too get excited just driving down the road in it ;)

Certainly since having the van we have been to places we would never have dreamed off before and we have lived a life style that would other wise not be possible/practical.

Funnily enough we get really excited when we have just filled up the water, emptied the waste and loo, and filled up with diesel................... we can then go for 800 miles! :D:D:D

Our van is indeed our Mobile Home (y)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The reason we bought ours was so we "could" travel...

My wife took a spinal injury some 9 years ago. Her condition has deteriorated to the point where she can definitely no longer sit in an aircraft seat for hours on end. Even when we are Enroute in the MH we have to stop very often so she can move around . Otherwise her pain becomes unbearable.

Plus she needs a bed made to suit her specifically. So we have the bed sorted now and of course its with us wherever we go.

All other odds and sodds needed are of course always with us.

For some reason the idea of getting a motor home escaped us ! But when we thought about it an got stuck in ites become a wonderful way of us resuming going on holiday. Truth is we never had a proper holiday since the gaffer was injured. Now we look forward to every outing ..

Not perhaps the answer asked for but we all have different requirements as well as desires ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Both...with one child snd another on fhe way, buying our first property with heavy morgage. I panicked as we always had good long holidays and could we continue to afford it.

A van was the answer. As wife enjoyed at least 3 months holidays as a lecturer, me being self employed we have always had long breaks throughout the year...

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We built our first moho back in 1979 ,because of my crohns disease & the need of a toilet close to hand, since then it's great to be able to take the dog with us everywhere, & have your own bed / bedding , after a few hotel / B&B unpleasant experiences. Also great to explore , moving on each couple of days hence my handle FIDGET.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
These answers are fantastic chaps and chappesses (is that a word? It is now!) keep 'em coming (y)

We love travelling, but when we get there we love being in the van too (especially at night when our transverse double bed feels like an adult cot:rolleyes:).

Primarily I would say the van is the medium for our next adventure (we love having adventures) however we too get excited just driving down the road in it ;)

Certainly since having the van we have been to places we would never have dreamed off before and we have lived a life style that would other wise not be possible/practical.

Funnily enough we get really excited when we have just filled up the water, emptied the waste and loo, and filled up with diesel................... we can then go for 800 miles! :D:D:D

Our van is indeed our Mobile Home (y)

Hi @chockswahay ,
That's some tank you've got on your moho. mine I'd only get about 500 miles

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
We can go 600 miles but it is a 60 gallon tank as is the water with 40 gallon tank for grey and same for black.

No need to fill or empty very often but when we do . . . . . . . . . . .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back