Are all Spanish roads new? (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Unfortunately when I bought our Tom Tom about three years ago, the lifetime updates was less fashionable, nevertheless we were surprised to find that almost every Spanish city we visited had what amounted to a totally new road system. From the road junctions near San Sebastion, Bilbao and almost every town and motorway we encountered. TomTom knew none of them and we were frequently driving across a blank screen, so we now have a new Garmin nuvi 2669. Has anyone had problems like this with their Garmin?

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Yes there are loads of new road layouts, especially in the cities. We've had a couple of times when our satnav thinks we're in a field.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Yes thank you Jim but I thought that my old TomTom was reasonably up to date and assume that theSat-Nav systems were being beaten by the speed of road building. Some of the 'unknown' roads were built before I bought my previous Sat Nav I believe.
Thanks also to Mags52 for reassuring me that I was not alone.
Alan

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
My Tom Toms is 7 years old and I update every couple of years and have had no problems in Spain and we go every year for six months.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Unfortunately when I bought our Tom Tom about three years ago, the lifetime updates was less fashionable, nevertheless we were surprised to find that almost every Spanish city we visited had what amounted to a totally new road system. From the road junctions near San Sebastion, Bilbao and almost every town and motorway we encountered. TomTom knew none of them and we were frequently driving across a blank screen, so we now have a new Garmin nuvi 2669. Has anyone had problems like this with their Garmin?

Yes, ALL Built with MY taxes. BUT my street needs resurfacing, and the A15 needs dualling. No E_U Money There though!!!

Pete

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Garmin Map updates are available monthly. I only bother to update mine twice a year, before going away for the winter and when I come back to the UK, unless I feel inclined at some other time.

It can take hours to update so I use our daughters fibre broadband to do the job, as I only run Mobile Internet and that just crawls. I always check for system updates at the same time.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I went to Spain earlier this year with the latest Garmin maps installed. There was a major dual carriageway outside A Corruña it knew nothing about! I don't think any maps are ever totally up to date.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Our old tomtom is 7 years old never updated it ( refused I could of bought new one for the cost ) At one point we drove for about 20K off road in Spain and yes lots of new roads build in Spain that never showed up on sat nav.

Have a new unit this year so hope it has new roads on it :D

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The vast majority of mapping appears to originate from a Dutch Company. Used to be Navtec NV?. now I think its Telle Atlas N-V?. Even Auto route for Microsoft!. who licence the mapping from the various National map making Services! etc:

Useless information I know?

BTW I have just had updates "New" mapping? from Tom Tom. For which I do not remember Paying! .

Shhhhh!

Pete

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Amazing amount of road building going on in Spain at present every where we've been

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Our Tom-tom has been almost 100% accurate for the last 3 years that we have toured the country. (Obviously with updating as and when!)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Yes, ALL Built with MY taxes. BUT my street needs resurfacing, and the A15 needs dualling. No E_U Money There though!!!

Pete

True. I imagine that they are spending all of the road-improvisation grants from the EU so that they qualify for next year's allocation. To be honest, I am now taking full advantage of this as we tend to travel around Spain for 7 or so months of the year. I sympathise with others who do not and feel agrieved as I used to when in UK.
As also oreviously noted, one cannot blame the Spaniards. If the offer is on the table why not take it?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Pete

& very nice they are too !(y):) You have to apply if you want EU grants & the UK authorities don't as , although it would normally be granted , due to the UK's
" rebate" the % of which the grant would be reduced & have to be supplied by the UK government. Who generally won't. So no one bothers to apply.:(

Blame our Government not The Spanish...BUSBY.
Exactly.

True. I imagine that they are spending all of the road-improvisation grants from the EU so that they qualify for next year's allocation. To be honest, I am now taking full advantage of this as we tend to travel around Spain for 7 or so months of the year. I sympathise with others who do not and feel agrieved as I used to when in UK.
As also oreviously noted, one cannot blame the Spaniards. If the offer is on the table why not take it?

You don't " qualify" ,you have to apply. If you don't apply , you don't get anything. Can't see that Spain would be getting too much at the moment as it has changed to being a net payer & all the new "potless" EU states are getting all the grants. :LOL:

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
Unlike other country when they get in to a financial hole they stop dining ,Spain take a different view ,they build more capital projects ,so the people who dug the hole in the first place can make more money!!!:D

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Although we've been to Spain on many occasions, last year was the first time we'd driven right across the country from north to south. We were amazed by all the new roads and motorways, not to mention high-speed rail infrastructure.

And apart from along the Costas, the toll motorways were virtually empty (and relatively cheap).

We carry two old Tom-Toms when we're abroad; both with out of date maps - but seemed to manage OK. As others have said, the older ones are expensive to update.

And going off slightly at a tangent - why when you buy a brand new sat-nav is the first thing you're instructed to do - 'plug it into your computer and update the maps' :( Why? It appears they're not 'fit for purpose' when sold. ;)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
. We were amazed by all the new roads and motorways, not to mention high-speed rail infrastructure.

, the toll motorways were virtually empty (and relatively cheap).

Did you see a train ?:( I saw one when in Barcelona in 2011(y) but haven't managed to spot one since.:cry: Place I stopped in France this summer I saw 4 per hour.

Yes the Toll motorways have gone into receivership & had to be rescued by the government.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
odd.. never had a problem in the UK , even with an outdated TT..

then again...... what is a new road ?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Spain and Gt Brittain are both skint,,difference is Spain has something to show for their overspending,,i.e,roads,railways, an excellent modern health service, leisure centres in every town, libraries etc etc etc,,,,BUSBY.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Regarding being advised to plug in a GPS unit as soon as you buy it is the time between manaufacure and sale can be quite long. For example our motorhome was first registered in June 2009 but investigation shows that the Base Fiat unit was manufactured virtually 12 months earlier.

Also I am sure I have read somewhere that the map providers to TT and Garmin etc are advise of new roads etc by the relative authorities and that some countries, especially Spain, are not very good at providing details of new roads promptly or at all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back