Replacement Required for Garmin Communicator Extension for Browsers (1 Viewer)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The Garmin Communicator Extension does not work with the latest versions of browsers and now seems only to work with old versions of Internet Explorer. As far as I have ascertained Garmin have no intention of updating their extension. I can see no other way of downloading Garmin subscription updates (such as speed cameras POIs) without using the extension.

Do others have this difficulty or maybe have discovered an alternative method of download?

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Garmin Express is the replacement isn't it?

No. Unfortunately, Garmin Express does not handle subscription updates. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Believe you can download them and copy them manually to your sat nav or you can use Garmin POI Loader.
This might help - Broken Link Removed
First post is old but second is current (I think).

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Believe you can download them and copy them manually to your sat nav or you can use Garmin POI Loader.
This might help - Broken Link Removed
First post is old but second is current (I think).

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the link you give is dead.

I am aware that such POI's are available from other sources but am initially interested in uploading the Genuine Garmin data. It is probably an area which does not provide Garmin with much income and hence their lack of interest. Pity they did not tell me that they were discontinuing downloads before taking my money :mad:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the link you give is dead.

I am aware that such POI's are available from other sources but am initially interested in uploading the Genuine Garmin data. It is probably an area which does not provide Garmin with much income and hence their lack of interest. Pity they did not tell me that they were discontinuing downloads before taking my money :mad:

Try this https://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/topic/19.html don't know where the "y" appeared from in previous link.
The link gives info on how to install poi downloads using Garmin POI Loader. You can, if you wanted and I'm not saying you would, download "unofficial" versions from this site.
Official Garmin download site is here http://www.garmin.com/uk/extras-camera-alerts/
You can get POI Loader from here http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/poiloader

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks @Gellyneck. I have made a note of the gps-data-team web site. I am familiar with the POI loader but have not used it for a while. I need to spend some time organising my POI's, both on the Garmin and Autoroute and also get to grips with Garmin Base Camp. Definitely a winters evening task (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wouldn't trust anything GPS data team publishes. It took me quite some time to stop them publishing my MH parking POI set in breach of copyright - one of the reasons it is no longer available.

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@GJH Thanks for your input Graham. I can see that it might be very difficult for anyone to protect copyright with POI sets.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@GJH Thanks for your input Graham. I can see that it might be very difficult for anyone to protect copyright with POI sets.
It can but responsible organisations check first if people send them sets. Less responsible organisations apologise and cease publication when caught. Others have to be forced to stop.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I wouldn't trust anything GPS data team publishes. It took me quite some time to stop them publishing my MH parking POI set in breach of copyright - one of the reasons it is no longer available.

Wasn't aware Graham so won't "recommend" them for anything again.(n)

Reactions: GJH
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ive been using Garmin express @Flamenca to update my two sat nav's today they are very slow but I think that's my broadband.but it definitely updates my subscribed lifetime updates and that's on Windows 10!

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Ive been using Garmin express @Flamenca to update my two sat nav's today they are very slow but I think that's my broadband.but it definitely updates my subscribed lifetime updates and that's on Windows 10!

Thanks Alan. Garmin Express is fine for map and firmware updates but presently does not provide updates for POI subscriptions. I am waiting for a response from Garmin Support regarding a replacement for the defunct browser
extension.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks Alan. Garmin Express is fine for map and firmware updates but presently does not provide updates for POI subscriptions. I am waiting for a response from Garmin Support regarding a replacement for the defunct browser
extension.
I haven't tried updating POIs sorry I will have to look into it but expect the same as yourself it won't be possible.I last time used Garmin POI loader which I still have in my files so I'll try that.

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@Speve Garmin POI Loader works fine for third party POIs but it is not possible to download Garmin's own subscription POIs from their web site without using an old, unsecure, browser. I would have thought that the logical solution would be for Garmin to expand the features in Garmin Express but I feel that is unlikely to happen. Meanwhile, I keep an old version of Internet Explorer which I use solely for the Garmin POI Updates. Hopefully Garmin will come up with a fix of some sort.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Speve Garmin POI Loader works fine for third party POIs but it is not possible to download Garmin's own subscription POIs from their web site without using an old, unsecure, browser. I would have thought that the logical solution would be for Garmin to expand the features in Garmin Express but I feel that is unlikely to happen. Meanwhile, I keep an old version of Internet Explorer which I use solely for the Garmin POI Updates. Hopefully Garmin will come up with a fix of some sort.
Let's hope so I also have the old explorer so I'll hang on to it then thanks for the info:cheers:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just re-read this thread after getting back from Blackpool and a thought struck me. The other day I updated the maps for my Camper 760 and my Nuvi 2569 using Express. I'm not sure about the Nuvi but the Camper update certainly included update of the POIs that were built into the device when purchased because it reloaded two categories that I had removed previously.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Flamenca have you tried Garmin Basecamp? it does do updates but I have not had it long enough to try it out.
It's a free app there is a thread running about it.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Like I said earlier have used Mapsource since 2000 for planing all our trips on PC and transferring to unit...(no longer supported as so many hacked versions about). Find base camp a bit techy and harder to get my head around..but learning.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just adding something to this oldish thread. I have tried to buy a new map for my new Garmin Nuvi 67 which came with maps for Western Europe but that doesn't include Croatia. You can buy a map to add from Garmin, which I have done but to install it you need to run Garmin Communicator as this handles the licence side of things and locks the map to a single device.

I've now discovered Garmin Communicator won't run on Opera, Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Explorer 11 or at least it doesn't on my 64 bit PC. I think it will run on Explorer 10 but how to install that on a Windows 10 PC seems a challenge.

I've emailed Garmin support for their comment. Not a wildly happy bunny at the moment. :(

Last edited:
?

Deleted User
Do you have access to an XP disk? If so you could run a VM

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do you have access to an XP disk? If so you could run a VM
Just dug out an old laptop which has windows 7 on it and Explorer 8 which seems to be still working so I'll try and install the map tomorrow. Seems Garmin are well behind the curve on this one and not updating their software.

I've used a VM on my PC before when it had W7 Pro, not sure if you still can with W10? But I'll give the old laptop a go first.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Finally cracked it but I had to install Explorer 10 as Garmin Communicator didn't work on Explorer 8. Finding a copy of Explorer 10 was in itself a challenge but after visiting several questionable sites I installed what seems to be the genuine thing from a site called filehippo.

Everything then went smoothly and the new maps are installed on the satnav.

In hindsight, don't try to download new maps from Garmin but buy them on an SD card instead which I guess means you can also move the map to another device if you need to in the future. My map is now installed permanently on one device.

Better still buy a satnav with the maps you need already installed because they can be updated - which maps you buy separately are not. :)

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
For what it's worth, I use communicator plug in for Garmin GPS geocaches on Opera browser on Windows 10. It is the only brewser I have found that still has this plug in and not sure if it will be available much longer. These plug ins are a security risk apparently.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I couldn't get Opera to work with it yesterday, possibly because my PC is 64 bit? Alternatively, you have a slightly older version of Opera which still supports GC - in which case don't update it! :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just for completeness, I got an answer back from Garmin by email today. This is what they have said:

"In order to complete this download you will need to use a compatible web browser for the Garmin Communicator plugin.
For your current operating system you will need to use Internet Explorer 11, if you do not have this installed or you are using a previous version please install this before attempting the download once more.

If you are using Internet Explorer 11 and still receiving this error please follow the steps below.

1. Open Internet Explorer 11.
  2. Select the settings icon.
  3. Select Internet Options.
  4. Select Advanced.
  5. Locate Security using the scroll bar.
  6. Check the "Enable 64 bit processes for Enhanced protected mode".
Once completed please restart your internet web browser and follow the instructions for adding Garmin as a trusted website."

So it sounds as if you can use Explorer 11, which is still available on Windows 10 although for how much longer I wonder? As I've already loaded the map using the old laptop I haven't tried their method but I have no reason to believe it won't work. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back