Is it me or the van? (1 Viewer)

David C

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
Funster No
Hi I'm new to this lark and have bought a Talbot express Talisman Autosleeper but after first outing last year I came home with a very painful left leg.
The clutch seems so strong it quite an effort to depress it at each gearchange. I know its an old van G reg 60,000miles 2.5 diesel but if this is how it should be I will have to give up the idea. I fetched it from storage today and after only a couple of miles my leg was aching again. Is this a feature of the transmission of the old Talbot or is it that I am too old.
Regards to you all

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Talbot Clutch

Have you tried another Talbot to see what the clutch is like on that one? (could try around the salesrooms to find another old van)

OR Why not contact a Talbot Dealer and see what their response is?

Sorry to hear you have been unhappy with your new hobby as most of us are having a great time.

Hope things get better and we see you out at a rally some time in the future.

OP
OP
D

David C

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for suggestions, I will try to find one for sale.
Its a pity as its a very nice van which we bought from a lovely GYPSYLADY called Lolypop.
Of course the van is now called Lolypop

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No it should not be that heavy, unless you have legs like twiggy:Eeek:
have it checked out for seized components, starting at the pedal and work your way through to the clutch actuating arm, as a last resort a new clutch will fix it, so long as all the other moving parts have been checked:thumb: I would suggest a new cable first, but I think yours is hydraulic:Doh:
Geo

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Sorry to hear your woes.

Our motorhome is also a talbot express but the bedoiun

The clutch shouldnt be so hard to depress.

It could be that the vehicle has the wrong clutch plate

or that the Clutch requires altering, adjusting or replacing

How far up is it "biting"

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have had a couple of talbot vans of that vintage. The clutch was never a problem, quite light in fact.

The problem was with the right foot, the accelerator pedal position was high providing little support for your heel causing an ache in the ankle and leg after a long journey.

OP
OP
D

David C

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
Funster No
Thanks all for your help which has given me confidence to try to fix the problem. It is in fact a cable system and with a long heavy travel it doesnt disengage until the peddle is right down to the carpet.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I have had a couple of talbot vans of that vintage. The clutch was never a problem, quite light in fact.

The problem was with the right foot, the accelerator pedal position was high providing little support for your heel causing an ache in the ankle and leg after a long journey.

Agreed, I had that problem with mine - also a G reg Talbot, but an Elddis body. Used to rest it on my left foot on motorways, as my heel didn't reach the floor and it made my leg ache holding it up in the air for long periods. The clutch had a long travel but wasn't overly stiff.
The gear shift also had a lot of travel and was a bit of a bu**er.

Ruddy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Haverhill,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
> 1yr

BMW throttle pedal is the answer :thumb:

(as soon as i find one, its going in mine)

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
The simple possibility, the cable?

Wife's Vitara based kit car had a stupidly heavy clutch pedal and disconnecting the clutch to 'feel' the cable it felt OK but with a faint hint of roughness. New cable, problem sorted, clutch nice and light again. Obviously the slight roughness translated to friction and therefore heavy clutch under load, just another thought?

Don't give up to easy on MHs, whilst not for everybody we started 3.5 years ago and it just gets better and better:thumb:

Si.

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
As a motor engineer, Geo's advice is spot on. Don't loose your van for the sake of some basic maintenance. :thumb:

Best wishes Pudseytkeith

OP
OP
D

David C

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
Funster No
As a result of all your good advice I have arranged for a garage with experience of this engine/gearbox to deliver it to a trusted MOT station and dependant on their view \i will probably have a new clutch assembly fitted. So dithering is over and decision made with the intention of exploring Yorkshire in August.
Thanks everyone
A Leicestershire couple from Quorn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back