"Nice" Campsites in SW England, Wales Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Hi All
A bit of a moving target here.
We had intended to go to Belgium/France for 5 nights next week but SWMBO has been poorly this week and doesn't feel up to the Tunnel/Aires plan that we had.
If we do go away she'd rather stay closer to home and stay at a couple of "nice" sites with facilities.
We are picking up a rental Bailey 730 from Andover on Thursday afternoon at 14.00 and it has to be back there on Tuesday at 10.30am.
Would welcome suggestions on sites in Dorset, Wiltshire, Cotswolds, South Wales sites which will still be open at this time of year and offer nice warm toilet/shower facilities - and perhaps a bar???
As an addition I quite fancy having a look at dealerships with Hymer/Carthago/Burstner vans as we wont be able to view across the channel....
Cheers
Bill

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Highlands End at Eype , West Bay ,Dorset is lovely. Its where Broadchurch and Harbour Lights were filmed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
As an addition I quite fancy having a look at dealerships with Hymer/Carthago/Burstner vans as we wont be able to view across the channel....

There's two dealerships which may be of interest to you, both just off the M5 in Somerset and only a few miles apart.
Highbridge Caravans have a vast site and are the only franchise for Hymer in the South West.
Chelston Caravans are Burstner dealers.
Hope you have an enjoyable trip.
Stef.

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks folks, great suggestions. Think Devon may be too far. Dorset looks good for a couple of days on the way back. Any suggestions near the dealers above?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Corfe Castle, or South lychett manor. Good bus services from corfe to Swanage.Poole etc. Also South Lychett ideal for visiting Poole and brownsea island..and not a huge drive from Andover.

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
Home farm is brilliant,indoor and outdoor pools,gym sauna,bar etc

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Bill,
If you end up on a site near Burnham or Highbridge, you may decide to take a short trip to Weston-Super-Mare. I can recommend Winstons Fish Bar, just across the road from the Grand Pier, if you fancy fish and chips.
You're too late to visit Banksy's Dismaland, which closed recently.
Stef.

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks all - thinking Home Farm or Country View to take in the dealers and then South Lychett or Highlands End. Just waiting for SWMBO to get back to full strength and see what takes her fancy.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Bill,
If you end up on a site near Burnham or Highbridge, you may decide to take a short trip to Weston-Super-Mare. I can recommend Winstons Fish Bar, just across the road from the Grand Pier, if you fancy fish and chips.
You're too late to visit Banksy's Dismaland, which closed recently.
Stef.
Seconded !!!! Or the chip shop on Warren farm holiday centre also great fish and chips.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
we are at south lychett manor from Friday say hello if you see us. Never been before but supposed to be a nice site.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Corfe Castle, or South lychett manor. Good bus services from corfe to Swanage.Poole etc. Also South Lychett ideal for visiting Poole and brownsea island..and not a huge drive from Andover.
Agreed there are some wonderful sites in this area, but a word of caution, avoid Woodyhyde, Jon will not be happy if you return his van with scrapes down the side. This is the entrance:
woodyhyde.jpg

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Agreed there are some wonderful sites in this area, but a word of caution, avoid Woodyhyde, Jon will not be happy if you return his van with scrapes down the side. This is the entrance:
View attachment 80538
We took our Rollerteam down there thinking it would be ok as the sign says camper vans .......only little camper vans though. Luckily there is a turning circle just before it !!!!!

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
Home farm is brilliant,indoor and outdoor pools,gym sauna,bar etc
Which home farm do you mean? There is one near the coast and one just off the M5 at Edithmead and one nearer the coast at Williton?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@BMStewart2004 Was that you driving the rented Bailey Approach on the A31 in the New Forest at about 9:00 this morning? :D
So let us know, where did you go, how was it all?

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
Indeed it was - apologies if I didn't wave back, concentrating on the driving...
We went to Country View at Sands Bay beside W-S-M for two nights. Quiet site about 30 pitches. Immaculate facilities. 20 minute walk along the sea front to the Commodore Hotel for reasonably priced food - and drink ;)
Had a look in at Highbridge on the way south but the Hymer 704 I thought that SWMBO would like didn't float her boat.
The salesperson told me that they have sold out their Rapido allocation for 2016 already!
Then 3 nights at South Lychett Manor. Again very good facilities, short bus ride into Poole or a 10 minute walk to St Peters Finger pub which was really excellent for food and drink.
All in all a good long weekend.
We wont be buying a Bailey when the time comes - in fact I think it'll definitely be something from across the channel.
We had a look at MikeyRV's Burstner on the SLM site and the quality difference was amazing (as was the price!).
Just need to get the boss nailed down to her "essentials" - at the moment its like nailing jelly to a wall....
Cheers
Bill

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Indeed it was - apologies if I didn't wave back, concentrating on the driving...
Don't worry, I was incognito this morning! :D I overtook you, and thought "ooh! I wonder if that is Bill!" But you would have thought I was mental if I had waved, I was in the filthy dirty black astra VXR :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back