LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Wasn't quite sure where to put this thread, so dumped it here.

We bought an Andrew James induction hob, along with an induction plate for the appropriate pans. After 5 months we declare it to be completely pointless. Great for heating up soup or beans or cassoulet quickly, but anything else ? Kettle takes 30 mins, sausages or any meat products won't cook at all. While in the New Forest few weekends ago, we saw someone with what appeared to be a large, deep frying pan with a lid, electric. We watched them fry their bacon etc in the morning, some fish at lunchtime and beans or soup in the evening. All very quickly and hassle-free. We meant to ask next morning what it was, however, they'd slipped off early during the morning so missed them.

Anyone have or can recommend anything similar ?

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have an induction hob and use it all the time on site - it is a tefal. Hot water in a minute, bacon spluttering away in 30 seconds. Do you think you may have a teppanyaki? The Tefal induction hob is fantastic bit of kit and cost about £40.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Not sure but could it be a multi cooker. I have a Morphy Richards one which is basically a square electric pan with lid. Google multi cooker and see if it looks similar.

Oops, someone beat me to it!!

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Couple of examples below, I have not used one myself, I have been looking though :D

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

(y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have a couple of Palson's one a grill plate one a pan, both excellent for use as you describe (y)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We bought an Andrew James induction hob, along with an induction plate for the appropriate pans. After 5 months we declare it to be completely pointless. Great for heating up soup or beans or cassoulet quickly, but anything else ? Kettle takes 30 mins, sausages or any meat products won't cook at all.

Just a thought............. you are using iron (or induction compatable pots) aren't you ?? We don't have an induction hob but when I have used one at work it was very sensitive to having the right pot :cautious:

Edit: just realised you said you have an induction plate.......... however, still a thought??

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have the tefel bake and fry but I think they don't make them anymore

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Could be one of these, I bought 2 thinking they would be good for parties / christmas, took them both back unfortunately because the thermostats didnt work at all it was burn everything or turn it off!
I do have a redmond multicooker which is good for a couple but not really for a crowd.

image.png

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Might it have been a multi cooker? We've got one and it's great!

You can fry, roast, bake, deep fry and slow cook in them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/the-10-best-multi-cookers-9052033.html
No, it's for outdoors. We have a family-sized Actifry which is amazing but too bulky to take away. We have full cooking hobs in the van, but this is for cooking out. Thanks tho :)

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I have an induction hob and use it all the time on site - it is a tefal. Hot water in a minute, bacon spluttering away in 30 seconds. Do you think you may have a teppanyaki? The Tefal induction hob is fantastic bit of kit and cost about £40.
Just a thought............. you are using iron (or induction compatable pots) aren't you ?? We don't have an induction hob but when I have used one at work it was very sensitive to having the right pot :cautious:

Edit: just realised you said you have an induction plate.......... however, still a thought??
Yeah we tested all our pans, only one is compatable which is why we bought the induction plate. Just about managed in france with it, but in the UK was dreadful, lost all the heat into the cold air :/

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Our portable induction hob is magic if on hookup. Our pans are compatible tho. Quick cooking, boiling, etc. If you're after a multi cooker instead, Lidl have them in store at the moment.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Excellent idea using multi-cooker as a base search, so thanks very much for that tip mateys. Came up with Actifry types which we've already got and just wanted outdoors cooking, this is what looks to be very similar bit of kit. Will be looking into this particular one as perfect. May also have a think about a hot plate. Lots of time to research ready for next year. :) Thanks again. x Amazon product ASIN B007FPSQTA

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Our portable induction hob is magic if on hookup. Our pans are compatible tho. Quick cooking, boiling, etc. If you're after a multi cooker instead, Lidl have them in store at the moment.
Think the induction hob we have has put us off. As I said, great for a pan of soup or beans, but can't even do hotdogs without it taking forever. Maybe we were unlucky, altho usually love Andrew James stuff. Do you think it may be the induction plate that has slowed it down ? ............ so maybe better just buying compatible pans to start with ?

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yeah we tested all our pans, only one is compatable which is why we bought the induction plate.

Does the pan work ? I'm thinking a plate on the hob gets hot but since the plate and the pan will not be perfectly flat you won't get good heat transfer.

In a PC where a heatsink is fitted to a chip you have to put conductive grease between them otherwise it just does not work and they are pretty damned flat.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We really rate our portable gas stove. We use it outdoors to cook fish etc even at home.
Cheap and very well designed.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Think the inducation hob we have has put us off. As I said, great for a pan of soup or beans, but can't even do hotdogs without it taking forever. Maybe we were unlucky, altho usually love Andrew James stuff. Do you think it may be the induction plate that has slowed it down ? ............ so maybe better just buying compatible pans to start with ?

I have an Andrew James induction cooker and its great and VERY quick, but I do use the appropriate pans.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We really rate our portable gas stove. We use it outdoors to cook fish etc even at home.
Cheap and very well designed.
We have a portable gas cooker in the garage from our tent camping days, but want to use the site electric when on hook up that we pay for anyway. :)[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I have an Andrew James induction cooker and its great and VERY quick, but I do use the appropriate pans.

Hmmm ! May be worth us trying one pan then and see if it's the induction plate that's the issue. The plate does get very very hot and we chose a wide one, but worth ruling that out then. Off to peruse induction pans :) Thank you, be a shame not to use the A James as it's very lightweight and handy. Off to google ............

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Does the pan work ? I'm thinking a plate on the hob gets hot but since the plate and the pan will not be perfectly flat you won't get good heat transfer.
In a PC where a heatsink is fitted to a chip you have to put conductive grease between them otherwise it just does not work and they are pretty damned flat.

Oh for goodness sake, just realised that the reason beans, soup etc heat very quickly is because that's the medium pan we have ........ which IS compatabile !!!! So really does look like altho the plate works to a degree, not enough. Thanks :)

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Think the induction hob we have has put us off. As I said, great for a pan of soup or beans, but can't even do hotdogs without it taking forever. Maybe we were unlucky, altho usually love Andrew James stuff. Do you think it may be the induction plate that has slowed it down ? ............ so maybe better just buying compatible pans to start with ?
I should think the correct pan would be essential. Not tried the in between plate you mentioned but can imagine it could lose a lot of heat. We started off with a decent frying pan and medium saucepan for quite a while before we slowly converted most of our pans to convection. Any pan where a magnet will stick to the Base will work on induction (I used to take a small magnet with me when looking for pans just to make sure :) )

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I should think the correct pan would be essential. Not tried the in between plate you mentioned but can imagine it could lose a lot of heat. We started off with a decent frying pan and medium saucepan for quite a while before we slowly converted most of our pans to convection. Any pan where a magnet will stick to the Base will work on induction (I used to take a small magnet with me when looking for pans just to make sure :) )
We just happened to have 1 medium pan when we did the magnet test on existing pans, so then bought the plate for the rest. Really good idea to take magnet when getting next pans !!!

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
If you are going to get a pan to test if its working as you want it might be a good idea to get one which is labelled at suitable otherwise you will still never be sure if it was the pan or the cooker. Andrew James normally have a goodish guarantee so if it does turn out to be faulty it might be worth getting in touch with them.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Induction hobs don't work by heat transfer. They create eddy currents in the base of the pan and these are what heat the contents of the pan, which has to be essentially made of iron. If you say the kettle takes ages there are two possible answers. Either the hob is bust or the kettle doesn't have the right base. If the hob works with another pan then that probably rules out it as a cause. Which leaves only the type of kettle or pan as the culprit.

We have an induction hob at home and it is brilliant - very responsive, almost like gas.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
buy compatible pans they are cheap enough from TKMax and from markets

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Induction hobs don't work by heat transfer. They create eddy currents in the base of the pan and these are what heat the contents of the pan, which has to be essentially made of iron. If you say the kettle takes ages there are two possible answers. Either the hob is bust or the kettle doesn't have the right base. If the hob works with another pan then that probably rules out it as a cause. Which leaves only the type of kettle or pan as the culprit.

We have an induction hob at home and it is brilliant - very responsive, almost like gas.

We've just checked the kettle, traditional whistle kettle. Has a rim and bottom of kettle is set in about 3 mm, so minimal contact with hob, this explains why it was never ending !!!!!!! Thanx.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Glad you got it sorted.

We have induction at home and the pans need to be proper induction pans :) Water will boil on the hob faster than in the electric kettle!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back