Sorn if on site for 3 months? (1 Viewer)

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Wondering if it is possible to Sorn the Motorhome if parked up on a site abroad for 3 months, has anyone done this ?

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Isn't the result called a caravan, appreciate we all have different views, but personally can't see the point of having a MH and staying in 1 spot for 3 months.

Good job we're all different otherwise it would get a bit crowded.

As tax can all done on line providing mot & insurance are OK can't see why not. DVLA wouldn't know where it was (or care) Would need to get the dates right otherwise you'll loose out.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You could always do it and see what happens, apart from dvla saying you can't, I don't see what difference it would make. Your not using or keeping the vehicle on a road are you?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you sorn it out the country , which is illegal, if there is then a problem then the first thing insurance will check is that. & you'll be deep in it.
To legally use any vehicle out of its own country requires that it has to be legal within its own country. So for the UK it is tax,ins; & mot.

You could always do it and see what happens, apart from dvla saying you can't, I don't see what difference it would make. Your not using or keeping the vehicle on a road are you?

To legally use any vehicle out of its own country requires that it has to be legal within its own country. So for the UK it is tax,ins; & mot.

Let me assure you that many Trafico here know what SOrn is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
s20hymer
Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
So, if the M/h is kept off road in Uk for any length of time then it can be Sorned, that's if it is worth the bother, so surely when parked up abroad off road, would the same not apply, just asking a theoretical question

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Following @klaatu 's link, you'll find

"When is a SORN valid
"You don’t need to renew your SORN - it’s valid until your vehicle is taxed, sold, scrapped or permanently exported.

"Your vehicle must be in and remain in the UK for your SORN to be valid."
It wouldn't surprise me at all if, when you tried to make a SORN overseas, "the computer" would flag up that you've left the country & not yet returned. I would expect to be caught out. That would be much more expensive :(
Then as @gus-lopez says, your insurance would be invalid; WHAT DO YOU DO THEN, WHEN YOU'RE GASSED????? :LOL:

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
You would be surprised how many SORN when they leave the UK. Tour around Europe ( Johnny foreigner will never know ) and re tax just before their return . Check out a few registrations you see on DVLA site. Anyone can access. UK registered cars abroad too . Enough said !

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You would be surprised how many SORN when they leave the UK. Tour around Europe ( Johnny foreigner will never know ) and re tax just before their return . Check out a few registrations you see on DVLA site. Anyone can access. UK registered cars abroad too . Enough said !
Is it really worth the hassle, what are you going to save for a load of aggro.....few quid here or a few quid there. I couldn't be bothered....

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Wondering if it is possible to Sorn the Motorhome if parked up on a site abroad for 3 months, has anyone done this ?

TBH I cannot see a problem with it, after all it is a; Stored Off Road Notification, which is what you will be if on a Site, as long as you do not use on the road (just in case) then I do not see a problem.
That is the benefit of the new system it is soooo easy and you get your refund (well I did) within 4 days. Then re tax it within seconds :D (y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
TBH I cannot see a problem with it, after all it is a; Stored Off Road Notification, which is what you will be if on a Site, as long as you do not use on the road (just in case) then I do not see a problem.
That is the benefit of the new system it is soooo easy and you get your refund (well I did) within 4 days. Then re tax it within seconds :D (y)
Ok until someone runs into your parked van or you have a complete burn out. Could end up with egg on your face. Insurance providers can be a bit a bit investigative when it comes to a van replacement for a van parked up in Spain..

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
That is the benefit of the new system it is soooo easy and you get your refund (well I did) within 4 days. Then re tax it within seconds :D (y)[/QUOTE

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

The problem is the legislation says must remain in the UK ! I can't believe anyone can be so tight as to take the risk !!

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Ok until someone runs into your parked van or you have a complete burn out. Could end up with egg on your face. Insurance providers can be a bit a bit investigative when it comes to a van replacement for a van parked up in Spain..

OK I see your point but, what about if you have a seasonal pitch and it is sorned and the same thing happens? it is still insured as long as it is not on the road.

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
If you want to save money you may as well cancel your insurance, because it would be void anyway if not taxed. A vehicle must be in the uk for the sorn to be valid and a vehicle must be legal in its own country to be driven abroad. the tax people cover all bases.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
What's "Road Tax" got to do with Insurance? When not in the UK and parked permanently on private land UK/EU you don't require road tax,the vehicle is not in use so Sorn it if you wish.
Seems to me as long as you "desorn" and tax the vehicle before using it on the road in the UK/EU you are legal.
Please don't quite the DVLA the left hand doesn't know what the right hands doing, they write the legislation on the basis of everyone being in the UK and taking two weeks holiday a year and don't consider anyone travelling abroad for extended periods.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The problem is the legislation says must remain in the UK ! I can't believe anyone can be so tight as to take the risk !!

Although DVLA state that a SORN only applies if the vehicle is within UK this is not necessarily what legislation states. All too often DVLA make up their own rules or "interpret legislation".

If legislation were researched fully I suspect that a SORN is valid provided that the vehicle is not kept on a road which is maintained at the UK taxpayers expense. Therefore a SORN would be valid if the vehicle is temporarily out of the country and not exported.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Why would you spend thousands (mega thousands in some cases) on your 2nd home on wheels to maybe invalidate your insurance for the sake of 3 months tax?.... Just doesn't compute !

Does your insurance company insist that you pay "road tax" if your vehicle is not on the road?

Maybe you should name the insurer so we can avoid them.

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
What's "Road Tax" got to do with Insurance? When not in the UK and parked permanently on private land UK/EU you don't require road tax,the vehicle is not in use so Sorn it if you wish.
Seems to me as long as you "desorn" and tax the vehicle before using it on the road in the UK/EU you are legal.
Please don't quite the DVLA the left hand doesn't know what the right hands doing, they write the legislation on the basis of everyone being in the UK and taking two weeks holiday a year and don't consider anyone travelling abroad for extended periods.
A vehicle has to be road legal or your insurance can refuse to pay out in the event of a claim and not all private land is exempt from road tax, unless you have express permissions from the land owner

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Although DVLA state that a SORN only applies if the vehicle is within UK this is not necessarily what legislation states. All too often DVLA make up their own rules or "interpret legislation".

If legislation were researched fully I suspect that a SORN is valid provided that the vehicle is not kept on a road which is maintained at the UK taxpayers expense. Therefore a SORN would be valid if the vehicle is temporarily out of the country and not exported.
The problem with saying (if legislation was researched fully I suspect a SORN is valid) is that when insurance companies check with DVLA to see if a vehicle is legal its DVLA that's says yes or no. Legislation is written to be interpreted. but I wold not risk 3 months tax against a potential £50000 claim.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
A vehicle has to be road legal or your insurance can refuse to pay out in the event of a claim and not all private land is exempt from road tax, unless you have express permissions from the land owner

That particular extension to legislation was intended to include supermarkets and trading estates. It most certainly does not include camp sites in Spain.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The problem with saying (if legislation was researched fully I suspect a SORN is valid) is that when insurance companies check with DVLA to see if a vehicle is legal its DVLA that's says yes or no. Legislation is written to be interpreted. but I wold not risk 3 months tax against a potential £50000 claim.

I am sorry but DVLA are not an authority to state whether a vehicle is legal or not. In fact, before taking your money for road tax they have to refer to several other organisations who have databases which might, or might not be accurate. Even then your vehicle might not be legal.

I do not disagree that some might continue to pay road tax whilst abroad. I do. But I prefer that people should be more
aware of the facts and there are a lot of urban myths about road tax; probably spread by DVLA.

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
I am sorry but DVLA are not an authority to state whether a vehicle is legal or not. In fact, before taking your money for road tax they have to refer to several other organisations who have databases which might, or might not be accurate. Even then your vehicle might not be legal.

I do not disagree that some might continue to pay road tax whilst abroad. I do. But I prefer that people should be more
aware of the facts and there are a lot of urban myths about road tax; probably spread by DVLA.
I actually agree with you about the myths but You obviously don't want to take the risk and neither do I, so anyone asking for advice should be given the facts, some of the advice appeared to be suck it and see which I think is dangerous these 2nd homes take a lot of getting In the first place

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back