Charlies guide to polishing Glass. (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
This guide is to cover the removal of scratches from Glass. Glass as in your windscreens and automotive windows NOT the plastics on Motorhome windows.

Polishing glass can give huge rewards especially if your windscreens have become scratched from say a rogue wiper or has become swirled through washing or even scratched on the inside fro diamond rings on fingers when wiping condensation away.

The only screens where care must be taken are those with heater elements in them like many Ford or Jaguar vehicles. All the rest carry little or no risk of damage but Always try a small area out of site before committing to a full window !

For glass we use a product called Cerium Oxide. This comes in a powder form and is mixed with water to a fine paste and applied to the window on a soft to medium pad and polished by machine.

Polishing by hand would not be possible in this area as it would take an enormous amount of time !

Polish by machine using a soft to medium hard pad at low speed. Number 2 or 3 is about right.

It doesn't really matter how deep the scratches are on normal glass as you can polish quite deeply (Within reason and paying attention to heated screen elements) .

I have removed really deep scratches from glass even when done by the dreaded diamond rings.

A heavily marked sometimes lightly chipped screen can be restored to true optical clarity ! Better than new in fact !

Cerium Oxide is available of Ebay for very little money !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REGIPOL-C...hash=item3a9d2293ea:m:mn2Gmqto4Oq83oWAZVUqV1Q

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks for this - I have a windscreen with lots of small haze scratches from previous owner using the windscreen wipers with grit on it.

I also have some scratches that I caused on another vehicle when using a cheap screen cleaner that scoured deeper scratches into it - would a coarser grade be better or should I spend longer using the fine grade?

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks for this - I have a windscreen with lots of small haze scratches from previous owner using the windscreen wipers with grit on it.

I also have some scratches that I caused on another vehicle when using a cheap screen cleaner that scoured deeper scratches into it - would a coarser grade be better or should I spend longer using the fine grade?

9 times out of 10 the light grade will correct perfectly.

Using a light cut grade or polish will give the same results as a high grade cut only slower.

Plus some high grade polishes will need following up with a lower grade to refine the finish to achieve in this case ultimate clarity.

So go light grade / cut and see how you go .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks. Just need to get the swmbo to approve expenditure on a polisher ....

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
Hi Charlie what would you use on the plastic windows.
Lee

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we used to use similar, a pumice paste on tv/monitor screens, but by hand

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just Love you professional postings Charlie, however washing, polishing and now window scratch removal..................I'm kn.....ed. I thought motorhoming was fun...............cannot wait for Chassis buffing.
Joking apart Charlie, I've thanked you in the past and must do again now. Great post. Now can I sit down and watch the Rugby.

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
Thanks DBK I'll give it a try
Lee

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Just Love you professional postings Charlie, however washing, polishing and now window scratch removal..................I'm kn.....ed. I thought motorhoming was fun...............cannot wait for Chassis buffing.
Joking apart Charlie, I've thanked you in the past and must do again now. Great post. Now can I sit down and watch the Rugby.

Believe it or not my van a 2013 AS Kemerton has just had a really in depth under body clean.. I have access to a workshop with a lift and the under body will be getting sealed with either Dinitrol or Shultz .

Trouble is when I get a vehicle completely finished I get bored and end up selling them... Just me as mad as a bag of adders...

Enjoy the rugby !

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I thought chassis buffing was part of the cleaning phase........ bugger do not tell the wife as thats her job! along with emptying the loo! :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back