My Solar/Power dilemma ! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have had the van for over 2 1/2 years now and never needed extra power. However now we are back in Scotland the van will spend periods of up to 3 or 4 weeks sat on the drive. The problem is that over this amount of time the Alarm (I assume) slowly discharges the starter battery.

I can not have a mains lead connected all the time (neighbours!) or sometimes the van is just too far away from mains power :(

So my dilemma is how can I keep the battery from draining down yet still keep the alarm active?

I do not really want to mess about with roof mounting solar panels (question posted separately). I have wondered about smaller 'portable' panels propped up on the dashboard, but I understand that this will reduce effectiveness by up to 70% (?)

Also I believe I would need a Schaudt regulator to make it all work in harmony....

Does anyone have any practical advice please?

:)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Scotland, low sun and not too much of it. So really you need as big a panel as possible. A small one in the window probably won't work even if you manage parking due south.

Our 100W roof mounted one struggles in Cheshire winter.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Scotland, low sun and not too much of it. So really you need as big a panel as possible. A small one in the window probably won't work even if you manage parking due south.

Our 100W roof mounted one struggles in Cheshire winter.

That's what worries me! As it happens my usual parking does indeed face the sun but even then??????

(Hmmm...... what about a big panel stuck on the windscreen with suckers?......LOL)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
( Hmmm...... what about a big panel stuck on the windscreen with suckers?......LOL)

At a guess it would be at a very good angle, better than flat on the roof, measure up your screen. You'd probably need more than suckers, they are pretty heavy, a bit of 2x1 wood then.

Quite a few FUNsters carry a big panel and set it up on the ground. Fine but risk of theft and the problem of storage, setting up.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you considered either?;

Fitting a B2B charger to keep the leisure batteries topped up when driving, plus a battery master to keep the engine battery topped up from the leisure batteries

OR

Connecting the solar panel to the leisure battery and using a battery master to keep the engine battery topped up

OR

Both of the above - belt and braces

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As Robert said..

Battery Master.. easy to fit..

Jim's shop or eddievanbitz.. about 60 quid.

vanbitz-L.jpg

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi @Robert Clark

The issues are with the EBL99 on my van so not (easily) do-able. To be honest I only want to reduce the rate of discharge for 'peace of mind' and convenience.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
That's what worries me! As it happens my usual parking does indeed face the sun but even then??????

(Hmmm...... what about a big panel stuck on the windscreen with suckers?......LOL)

Ideal but not thief proof, I have a 20w panel on the dash in a car and it keeps the battery topped up all the time, and its not pointing south(y)

IMG_2318[1].JPG
IMG_2319[1].JPG

In fact south is about where my Hymer is in the first pic(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi @Robert Clark

The issues are with the EBL99 on my van so not (easily) do-able. To be honest I only want to reduce the rate of discharge for 'peace of mind' and convenience.
What issues with the EBL? No point reducing he rate of discharge as the quiescent drain will be what it is, unless something is faulty.

Many people,stand in their Motorhomes and say "there's no holes in my roof, and I want to keep it that way" whilst stood under a massive Heki roof light lol

Roofers are full of holes, just sealed that's all

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Many people,stand in their Motorhomes and say "there's no holes in my roof, and I want to keep it that way" whilst stood under a massive Heki roof light lol

Roofers are full of holes, just sealed that's all

My roof, my rules ;)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Well I have an EBL99 and feed a standard solar controller direct to leisure and a gadget from leisure to engine to top that up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLIT-CHA...579529?hash=item1c5b768a09:g:9YgAAOxydyxSNBaY

It works for me.
And the same set up works for us too, with our EBL4-105. (y)

The only time we suffered a flat engine battery since adopting this set up some years ago, was when the solar panels were covered in snow and ice for a couple of weeks during a really harsh winter, but that was a one off.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi @chockswahay ... you may be sorted now with a solution but I've fitted a few battery master devices to vans ..The type in the link posted by @hilldweller above..
There were no issues with the power management systems fitted in the vans (think they were Sargent control units ). The vans all had solar charging the leisure batteries and allow i think up to a one amp trickle to the start when the leisure voltage reaches a ptedetermined level.....
Ta Andy

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You have to be careful here
The CBE CSB2 and the battery master work very differently
If you don't have solar the former is useless and you need the battery master

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
You have to be careful here
The CBE CSB2 and the battery master work very differently
If you don't have solar the former is useless and you need the battery master
hi andy wasn't aware that the devices were that different, I chose the one I mentioned above following a link you gave me at the time... can the difference be explained easily in simple terms or will I have to go and read up myself lol.
ta andy

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The CBE only starts to transfer charge once 13.6 volts has been detected so if you have no solar that will not happen
Bearing in mind that I designed the Battery Master to overcome problems with quiescent drain over the Winter months rather than Solar transfer which is a happy by product.

People would not use their motorhome, a motorhome built on a commercial chassis designed for Bob the Builder or Flora the Florist to use daily, not have loads of electrical additions installed and left for weeks on end.

Flat engine battery, charged leisure battery! The discharged engine battery at this stage is probably ruined, and jump starting from the leisure battery has probably irreparably damaged the leisure battery. Worse than that, the 20amp fuse either end of the split charge circuit will blow as the effect of placing a discharged engine battery in parallel with a fully charged leisure battery will create a massive electrical imbalance and as sure as eggs are eggs, additional electrical issue will occur

The niggles will potentially carry of dogging the owner for ages after the flat battery episode.

So Battery Master will "share" the quiescent load safely between the two battery types, significantly increasing the length of time the motorhome can be left without issue.

Add an additional external charge to the leisure battery by solar, wind or hook up and so long as all the batteries on the system are in good order, the motorhome can be left indefinitely without any starting issues

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well I have an EBL99 and feed a standard solar controller direct to leisure and a gadget from leisure to engine to top that up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPLIT-CHA...579529?hash=item1c5b768a09:g:9YgAAOxydyxSNBaY

It works for me.

Hi @chockswahay ... you may be sorted now with a solution but I've fitted a few battery master devices to vans ..The type in the link posted by @hilldweller above..
There were no issues with the power management systems fitted in the vans (think they were Sargent control units ). The vans all had solar charging the leisure batteries and allow i think up to a one amp trickle to the start when the leisure voltage reaches a ptedetermined level.....
Ta Andy

At the risk of being ridiculed .............. could you tell me how exactly I would wire this device in please? My limited understanding of the EBL99 is that all charge/transfer etc is automatic (?).

So if I fit this device instead of solar, then the leisure battery will top up the starter battery (?) until both are flat?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
At the risk of being ridiculed .
No risk of that from me lol
With the device that was linked to earlier there are only 3wires require wiring...
An common negative to both battery banks and a posotive to the leisure and start batteries..
The start battery will only receive a charge when the leisure reach 13.6 volts.. There won't be a flow from start to leisure..
Techno has mentioned the difference between the battery master and the device I'm on about in the posts above
Ta Andy.

Last edited:

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I have an easier answer, we have a battery isolator fitted. When I park up for a couple or three weeks, I just switch it on and bingo, no more battery discharge!

KH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back