Arriving Bilbao & heading South (1 Viewer)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
In January we plan to arrive in Bilbao and travel South to the Med. (a journey we have done several times before) where we will tour for 2 months.

This time we would like to have an automated way of paying for Spanish toll roads as my wife has difficulty reaching the manual pay booths.

Any advice on pre purchasing a Spanish electronic toll tag before departing Blighty or getting one on arrival in Bilbao would be most welcome :)

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Will watch this post as we are about 3 weeks after you and this sounds like a good idea.
Did not use the toll roads at all in Spain this year so a complete novice.
Hope some lovely funster out there helps us both out!
LC

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Generally No to Tolls. Like life however there are exceptions. One is the A63 Round Bayone. Keeps you out of the local rat run.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Are you sure your route involves TOLLS? There aren't that many Toll sections in Spain, other than the Med Route south, and that wouldn't be a route from Bilbao. Madrid has a Toll section on one route, but this can be avoided by using the Toll Free Motorways. (Autovias)
You might post again, asking, Whats the chance of snow in January between Bilbao and southern Spain, last year some problems with heavy snowfall, but the snow ploughs are in place and very quick to getting it sorted.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Whilst I agree with the majority of replies here, that unavoidable m-way tolls on the route south are as rare as hen's teeth (I think we paid about 3 Euros last time and that was on the very last leg) the gentleman has said he has done the route several times, so his experience is the one that matters. So Bryan has given a pointer. It would be good to know which route was intended though, just out of interest,a sit would stimulate some more helpful replies.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Are you sure your route involves TOLLS? There aren't that many Toll sections in Spain, other than the Med Route south, and that wouldn't be a route from Bilbao. Madrid has a Toll section on one route, but this can be avoided by using the Toll Free Motorways. (Autovias)
You might post again, asking, Whats the chance of snow in January between Bilbao and southern Spain, last year some problems with heavy snowfall, but the snow ploughs are in place and very quick to getting it sorted.

Our route in Spain starting on 27th January :-

Bilbao to Tordesillas A62 200 miles - Camping El Astral stay one night
Tordesillas to Aranjuez AP6 & A6 125 miles - Camping Internazionale Aranjuez stay 2 nights
Aranjuez to Bolnuevo AP 36 & A30 260 miles Camping Playa de Mazarron Stay several nights

Last year we went via Zaragoza & Alicante then down South but encountered quite a lot of snow encountered snow between Haro and Valencia hoping for less snow this way

From Bolnuevo we intend to travel slowly over the next 7 weeks make our way along the South coast of Spain and then the Algarve before heading North and home early April staying between 2 and 5 nights on various sites.

In Spain probably Cabo de Gata, Roquetas de Mar, Torre del Mar, Estepona and some others

In Portugal probably Fuseta, Quarteira, Portimao & Sagres before heading home

Last edited:

Deleted User
Hi @Teuchter, sorry no help with tolls, but I noticed your going to, Bolnuevo. We loved it there in May and are thinking of going again in Jan but were concerned about the local town being open, shops restaurants etc, your advice would be appreciated.

Lin :)

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Hi @Teuchter, sorry no help with tolls, but I noticed your going to, Bolnuevo. We loved it there in May and are thinking of going again in Jan but were concerned about the local town being open, shops restaurants etc, your advice would be appreciated. Lin :)

We were last there in February this year, loved it, all the shops & bars were open as were most of the restaurants - however the 2 or 3 restaurants facing the beach were closed but that still leaves 5 or 6 open in town.

The campsite bar/club was closed except for functions.

We hope to be there for the 1st week in February 2016 :)

Deleted User
We were last there in February this year, loved it, all the shops & bars were open as were most of the restaurants - however the 2 or 3 restaurants facing the beach were closed but that still leaves 5 or 6 open in town.

The campsite bar/club was closed except for functions.

We hope to be there for the 1st week in February 2016 :)
Thanks good to know :)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our route in Spain starting on 27th January :-

Bilbao to Tordesillas A62 200 miles - Camping El Astral stay one night
Tordesillas to Aranjuez AP6 & A6 125 miles - Camping Internazionale Aranjuez stay 2 nights
Aranjuez to Bolnuevo AP 36 & A30 260 miles Camping Playa de Mazarron Stay several nights

Last year we went via Zaragoza & Alicante then down South but encountered quite a lot of snow encountered snow between Haro and Valencia hoping for less snow this way

From Bolnuevo we intend to travel slowly over the next 7 weeks make our way along the South coast of Spain and then the Algarve before heading North and home early April staying between 2 and 5 nights on various sites.

In Spain probably Cabo de Gata, Roquetas de Mar, Torre del Mar, Estepona and some others

In Portugal probably Fuseta, Quarteira, Portimao & Sagres before heading home

Wow some trip and I am envious. We stayed at the Aranguez site last time we travelled down to Isla Plana, then on to a nice site near Granada with a bus stop just at the gate, then down to Los Madriles. We have stayed at the new site at Estepona, (Bella Vista?) and loved the facilities. Gary

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

agree not may pay sections and ones that are are dirt cheap and hardly worth avoiding.

Just pull up short and passenger get out and pay....

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@Teuchter, we're just 2 days behind you. Taking the 29th Jan ferry to Santander, then following a very similar route to you, returning home week before Easter.
Look out for our three-legged Dally. You can't miss us!
Chris

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Wow some trip and I am envious. We stayed at the Aranguez site last time we travelled down to Isla Plana, then on to a nice site near Granada with a bus stop just at the gate, then down to Los Madriles. We have stayed at the new site at Estepona, (Bella Vista?) and loved the facilities. Gary

We stayed at Bella vista in February this year and will certainly go back there next February (out of the blue we met an old shipmate of mine from my Navy days who was overwintering there in his caravan) - great site - good cycling along the coast to nearby villages

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

There WHERE a couple of places where we CHOSE to use Tolls. They avoid urban conurbations and some narrow streets, the A63 By Bayone. Becomes A8 in Spain and toll free, is one such, the Alternative (N10 I think from memory) is one narrow SOB in parts, only a few Francs (Euro`s) and a lot less hassle.

Snow can be an issue in Jan/Feb we just hung on at St Jean du Luz a couple of days and then went for it (2003). followed the Snow plough up the mountain! Towing the car on a Trailer too!. IF it snows I would never attempt the N121.

Pete

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
In January we plan to arrive in Bilbao and travel South to the Med. (a journey we have done several times before) where we will tour for 2 months.

This time we would like to have an automated way of paying for Spanish toll roads as my wife has difficulty reaching the manual pay booths.

Any advice on pre purchasing a Spanish electronic toll tag before departing Blighty or getting one on arrival in Bilbao would be most welcome :)

The question relates to travelling from Bilbao to the Spanish Med coast.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We're in the pyranees now and is quite warm, it's 27th October so I didn't expect that.
Do we need to pay tolls to get to Benidorm from here.? In Puylaurens, France.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
agree not may pay sections and ones that are are dirt cheap and hardly worth avoiding.
Just pull up short and passenger get out and pay....

I agree, my wife couldn't reach ......... so I (the driver) would just get out to take ticket or pay... never a problem(y)

Edit ... as I approached a toll booth I'd put on the hazard lights... that and the GB plate warned others that I might delay those following.. never got a bad reaction

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back