Recommendations for aires or municipals (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
On Monday we are going to France through the tunnel for just 4 nights with our fairly new MH. Want to try aires really but municipal sites would be ok. Travelled in France with our caravan in previous years but it has been in the summer.
As its just 4 nights can't go too far from the tunnel. Where would you suggest as a good first try on aires (I suppose not such a good time of year for a first attempt). We haven't got bikes so we will be walking to places of interest.
Would appreciate any ideas and tips please.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Le Crotoy is a good Aire to stay on, not too far from the tunnel. We often use it as a first stop, a nice easy walk into the town, restaurants etc, although I'm not sure how many would be open this time of year. We stayed there December last year and the water was turned off.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think you must forget about municipal campsites at this time of year: most, if not all, close by the end of September / early October.
Have a look at this website for some ideas about aires. It is in French but not difficult to follow. Click in the central disc of the home page to start, then click on the left 'chercher/ajouter une aire' and choose France, or possibly Belgium for ideas near the channel ports.
CAMPINGCAR-INFOS

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Hi Not an Aire but a nice site close to the sea
Camping clairette, 62215 - OYE-PLAGE 03 21 35 83 51
We use it as a overnight stop when we have to catch the ferry
some great nature trails and woodland.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
There are two aires at Le Touquet, about a 30 minutes drive from Calais.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Boulonge has a good aire.. on the cliffs at the eastern end of town. Some grassy level pitches.. plenty of space..
Bus service into town or walk.. it's not so far.. an interesting and historic city.. the old fortified city is worth visiting.. plenty to see and do..

aire details here ..

http://www.campercontact.com/en/fra...72/motorhome-parking-aire-de-camping-car.aspx

and Google map
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...s0x47dc2c40b157a363:0x40af13e8163fb30!6m1!1e1

Basilique Notre Dame de l'Immaculée Conception de Boulogne-sur-Mer
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Basilique+Notre+Dame+de+l'Immaculée+Conception+de+Boulogne-sur-Mer/@50.725076,1.6141113,996m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x2ad16b107ce0fced!6m1!1e1

Also have a look in CamperContact

you can download the pois for sat nav free , it also has a very good app.. cost about ÂŁ5 .. but very worth while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you for the info. I'm a tad nervous about staying on aires this time of year especially as it's our first time. I've been reading all about break ins and attacks on the forum. Do we stay on one that has no one else on it or find one that has others staying on it? I realise I'm probably worrying for no reason and once we have done it for the first time I'll be fine. Hopefully we will get a gut feeling if it's the right place to stop. What are your thoughts/advice?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Your worrying for no reason as long as your sensible you will be fine. . wrong time of year for municipals I'm afraid...

I like both suggestions. Le Touquet OK but Brugge Aire great for a few days. Have not been to Ypres yet...So my choice would be Belgium:)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
You could try the aire at Equihen Plage, only about 30 miles from Calais, I think it has been revamped since the video was shot.

There is a popular aire at La Mailleraye Sur Seine, you park just a few feet from the Seine. Very busy aire about 150 miles from Calais if thats not too far.

Both these aires are within walking distance of towns with plenty of shops etc.

Paul

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
To the west you've got Honfleur about 3 hours' easy drive from Calais. Huge well-marked aire within walking distance of the quaint town centre/harbour.

I have yet to meet anyone who's suffered theft or damage whilst parked on an aire, and we've been on a good few all over France. Use common sense when locking up - we padlock the driver's door to the steering wheel and lock the important paperwork well out of sight whichever country we're in, including on campsites.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We visited the equestrian aire at Le Touquet this year in August, but there was a horsey event on and it was closed to motorhomes.
I actually drove in and got settled down.. plugged into EHU.. there was plenty of space.. but then the 'man' arrived and told us politely that we had to leave..
We then tried the marina aire.. just down the road.. but due to the fact that the equestrian aire was closed.. it was rammed full.. so we left and went to Boulonge aire.

Other years we have stayed there it was great.. but I doubt if you could park a motorhome in the town.. and it's a fair walk.. we have bicycles.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
There is a popular aire at La Mailleraye Sur Seine, you park just a few feet from the Seine. Very busy aire about 150 miles from Calais if thats not too far.
Paul
I would second La Mailleraye, our favourite place in northern France.
We always feel 100% safe there (we have been alone there in mid winter) two great boulangeries and a new small Carrefour in town plus lots of interest on the river.
€6 per night but I think it will be free at this time of the year.

Lots of photos on my blog plus a video of the approach on my YouTube Channel.

Richard.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You could try the aire at Equihen Plage, only about 30 miles from Calais, I think it has been revamped since the video was shot.
I agree Equine Plage is nice and last time we were there we walked along the cliff path and come across a big gun in placement and if you then walk further there's an old fort you can walk around.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
If you do go the Belgium route, take a look at the small town of Veurne, just across the border. A typical small Belgian town with a central square, shops, restaurants, canals etc. All a short stroll from well used MH parking spots around 51.07024, 2.66636 (and the other side of the water). Not an aire as such but comfortable overnight parking - I doubt very much that you would be alone. I've used it many times and always felt comfortable there.
Worth taking a look if only for future reference.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
St valery sur somme and you can get the steam train to le Crotoy and back or cycle too
Veulletes sur mer
Le Treport has two

All in my picture galleries via my signature

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you do go the Belgium route, take a look at the small town of Veurne, just across the border. A typical small Belgian town with a central square, shops, restaurants, canals etc. All a short stroll from well used MH parking spots around 51.07024, 2.66636 (and the other side of the water). Not an aire as such but comfortable overnight parking - I doubt very much that you would be alone. I've used it many times and always felt comfortable there.
Worth taking a look if only for future reference.

One of our favorites...centre like a mini Brugge. good eateries and bars. a good few vans there when we have visited, always plenty of room. there is water and toilet dump on corner for the boats I guess..

De Plakker a really nice restaurant off the square

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I can second Le Crotoy, although the aire does get a bit waterlogged when it rains. Fort Mahon just a few km away or ( our favourite in the area) Quend. Lots of good walks, nice towns and lovely sandy beaches. Will take you an hour or so from Calais.
If you worry about break ins etc on Aires, you'll never go anywhere. We have stayed in Aires all over France for years, at all times of the year. Never had or heard of a problem with any of them, and some have been very remote.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Le Croytoy ...St Valery en Caux .....Neufchâtel en Bray.....Ypres ...Gravelines are a few of our favourites

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
le Crotoy a disappointing town IMO and in poor weather the Aire like a bog. Have tried it a few times, the Moules so small no self respecting restaurateur would dare serve. Nothing to do nothing to see....Just about OK for an overnight but as a destination...no thanks:)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
le Crotoy a disappointing town IMO and in poor weather the Aire like a bog. Have tried it a few times, the Moules so small no self respecting restaurateur would dare serve. Nothing to do nothing to see....Just about OK for an overnight but as a destination...no thanks:)
We gave it a miss in August, the aire was sodden( there are two, one by the harbour, the other is at the far end of the town), although I can't fully agree with you about the town. The little railway that goes around the coast is brilliant, nice walk around the lagoon, quaint little town, lots of cycle paths and a market in the week ( can't remember what day) but thanks for the info about the moules, luckily, we had langoustines last time we were there and they were huge.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We have stayed at the Boulogne aire in December and felt safe and I recently had some of the nicest moules Roquefort at Brasserie Hamiot on the front near the old ferry port, which is a walk down the hill past Nausicaa. Also love the aire at La Mailleraye sue Seine

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
nicest moules Roquefort at Brasserie Hamiot on the front near the old ferry port,

What a coincidence you should mention that place..
.. Charlotte had her 15th birthday meal there, ... superb..lovely restaurant..

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all your replies. We're leaving to go to folkstone tomorrow and tunnel is Monday morning. We will decide on an aire to stay on Monday night and then just go where we fancy after that. Thanks again. Will let you know how we got on when we get back.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I second lots of the recommendations, I Always have a night or two at Honfleur if I'm near, great restaurants nice little town for a wander, the aire is an easy short walk into town, and some quirky little shops. St valery sur somme a bit further to walk into town, lots of great restaurants, the "cheese shop" experience is well worth the money in my opinion, nice walk down the Quay with local history boards dotted about the place, (major collection point for salt etc) and slightly less picturesque but aire right in the middle of the high street, and a short walk to the sea front, Fort Mahon Plage with great seafood restaurants, if your only going for 4 nights and are after a "foody" type short break, doing all three would be doable and a great little break. Have fun.
Simon

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hello again. We are now in Folkestone looking forward to our first trip in the MH to France tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm having to use a crutch (walking aid) as I've hurt my knee. It would happen now just as we are going away!! We are thinking of stopping at St Valery sur Somme as one of the aires recommended but I notice that there is a 15 minute downhill walk to the town. Can you tell me if its very steep or just a gentle slope please. I realise that if I go downhill then I will eventually have to go back up ( not so good) but hey ho got to make an effort. Thank.

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry but also - is the ground sandy at fort Mahon Plage. It looks it especially being by the dunes. Probably silly question to ask.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back