hello all (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Hello all,,just joined site,looking forward to getting all the best advice i can ! A surprise change in circumstances (not all good)has meant changing my lifestyle completely,I dont know if my budget is realistic but im looking to buy a home for fulltiming (at least for a year or 2) My budget for a van would be 15 to 18,000,i would like a small garage to the rear,for tools etc, and having looked for weeks at dealers,ebay and other sites my head is spinning,various models,layouts prices etc, I intend to purchase beginning of december(when house is sold) and drive to spain for the winter,to evaluate my situation,any and all advice will be gratefully accepted,,,,I have done all the which is best motorhome or caravan debate and have made a decission as to it being a motorhome,but is budget realistic etc,i will have a c/o adress for insurance etc so covered there and i passed my test in the late 70s so im good for licence etc...again many thanks,,and help !!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm sorry but the 'headache' will go on till you find your MoHo, it's a nice headache but it could take time and looking and looking is the only way.
We set out with a set of must haves/wants 18mths ago and the van we bought and love very much is exactly the opposite to those wants/needs :LOL:
For full timing things may be different, do you intend to spend large amounts of time 'off grid' then batteries and solar would be high on the list, big gas locker or under slung LPG tank perhaps?
Size does matter, imagine spending two or three days cooped up in it because of weather/ illness etc. don't forget the best bit of advise we were given, make sure you have a big enough bathroom to wipe yer bum wi'out sticking yer 'ed out of 't window ;):eek:

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
hahahaha yes very good point ! lolol i would like a fixed bed,not too bothered about a big lounge area because i hope to have an awning,and i dont think at the moment i would be looking to spend too much time off grid,,maybe the odd night at a service station etc,,,thanks for reply badnee, nice to meet you,,ian..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
There's "off grid" and there's Aires. Save you a few £££ and not many have ehu.

Anyway welcome, hope you get through your "stuff" and manage to find and enjoy your van. Loads of help and advice on here. Good luck(y)

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
thanks for replying all,im feeling good about the site,already have learnt loads,insurance probs,etc,,very helpfull,,,thanks again..

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:welc:Hello welcome to fun, I see you have used 4 posts up be aware that you are only allowed 5 free posts, the £15 sub should be well worth it to you, and probably save you that amount many times over.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello all,,just joined site,looking forward to getting all the best advice i can ! A surprise change in circumstances (not all good)has meant changing my lifestyle completely,I dont know if my budget is realistic but im looking to buy a home for fulltiming (at least for a year or 2) My budget for a van would be 15 to 18,000,i would like a small garage to the rear,for tools etc, and having looked for weeks at dealers,ebay and other sites my head is spinning,various models,layouts prices etc, I intend to purchase beginning of december(when house is sold) and drive to spain for the winter,to evaluate my situation,any and all advice will be gratefully accepted,,,,I have done all the which is best motorhome or caravan debate and have made a decission as to it being a motorhome,but is budget realistic etc,i will have a c/o adress for insurance etc so covered there and i passed my test in the late 70s so im good for licence etc...again many thanks,,and help !!

To answer some points you should be able to get something within your budget, things to look at are pay load and checking out for damp. The older Hymers would be worth looking at well made, the ones with a drop down bed a good alternative to fixed bed giving you more floor space. Don't dismiss being off grid in France /Spain etc. the Aires are often excellent and useful so a good Solar Panel well worth having.
Go in to a dealers without a salesman imagine being in the van on a wet day, will you be comfortable in it , does it work for you, wet days Spain are just as bad as wet days in the UK , so your comfort needs some consideration, good luck.

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
I'm sorry but the 'headache' will go on till you find your MoHo, it's a nice headache but it could take time and looking and looking is the only way.
We set out with a set of must haves/wants 18mths ago and the van we bought and love very much is exactly the opposite to those wants/needs :LOL:
For full timing things may be different, do you intend to spend large amounts of time 'off grid' then batteries and solar would be high on the list, big gas locker or under slung LPG tank perhaps?
Size does matter, imagine spending two or three days cooped up in it because of weather/ illness etc. don't forget the best bit of advise we were given, make sure you have a big enough bathroom to wipe yer bum wi'out sticking yer 'ed out of 't window ;):eek:
We have an LPG tank in our locker about as big as the 32 pounder that you pay a lot of money for in exchange it was a good investment at 300 fitted auto gas 2000 thirsk. takes 1. 1/2 hours then they filled it up with gas 14.00 22 ltrs I've had my money back over n over. last fill up in Germany at a garage back in august 31 cents ltr still got 1/4 tank and i;m away most w/ends cooking hot water and fire if needed as for power one solar panel 150 wats gives me plenty of power. never had a prob panel been on since spring.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi Ian and welcome.

I think you can get a decent van on that budget.

Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
subs all paid carol...easy........ chris i hope i can get a decent van for that money,i have realised im going to have to do a lot more research though,,still i have till dec,,,

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi & welcome @ianthebuilder
upload_2015-10-24_14-25-22.png

I think a useful question to throw into the mix is, are you planning to WORK from your van? (you mentioned tools .....)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:welc:Hello Ian from an ex builder you'll get loads of help on here and you might even find a good van in the for sale section.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi and welcome to Fun Ian . Good luck in finding your van . There are loads of info and advice on Fun
We will be putting our Sundance 630 G 2006 up for sale in the next few weeks it has a lovely sized garage and lots of extras but sadly it would be slightly just peover your budget . Enjoy the furum hope to meet you at a rally sometime . Regards Kate x

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi Ian and welcome.
I hope your problems get sorted soon (y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello Ian ..... hope you get sorted soon.... come along to some of the meets once you do and a lot of your problems will disappear into thin air....

upload_2015-10-25_8-39-18.jpeg

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Lol nice pic Moran looks about right !! Lol. Thanks for all the welcomes and comments,, I hopefully will be sorted by early December! And an answer to an earlier post yes I will be working from the van if I can. After the winter I hope to drive up through France I have some work lined up already there and I might just stay! What an age to start all over again! Exciting though , massive lifestyle change!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back