3 contract in France (1 Viewer)

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Have just arrived in France enroute to Spain, have just learned from 3 techies that I can't tether abroad, can get internet on phone but not my cup of tea to use on such a small screen. Fortunately have got a data sim with Knowhow to use in my mifi which covers Spain & Portugal.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
A number of folk have been caught out with that one - me too. It's not very clear on the 3 website, although it IS there.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have 3 phone sim card and when in France a couple of weeks ago tethered every day! Only on one day was there an issue and that was when my laptop started to update its software :eek::eek: and I received a warning from 3 telling me to stop, so I turned of all auto updates and continued without any problems at all :)

I think the real issue is if you stream or download a lot of data. For basic email, weather, site info, this forum etc it worked fine. My 3 sim is PAYG, I dunno if that makes any difference.

Just try it and see (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
s20hymer
Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
I think I read somewhere that if it is Payg then it is ok to tether, but not if it is a contract, I am talking here about phone & data contract, I know that if I use a Payg data sim it will tether abroad but didn't know about the other so been caught out.

Deleted User
You need a data only sim to tether.

We have a data only sim in our mifi which allows tethering and a normal sim in our phone that does not allow tethering.

The phone sim allows calls/texts and data (through the phone) at no extra cost (in feel at home destinations) but not tethering.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
You need a data only sim to tether.

We have a data only sim in our mifi which allows tethering and a normal sim in our phone that does not allow tethering.

The phone sim allows calls/texts and data (through the phone) at no extra cost (in feel at home destinations) but not tethering.

Err.......... my sim card is standard phone sim and it tethers (see my previous post)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Er ............... you got a warning telling you to stop
Yes I did, but that was only when my 'puter was trying to download massive updates........... after that I tethered everyday and got through another 1 gig or so over a 2 week period.

On a separate note, we have just spent 2 weeks back in UK with the phone tethered to our laptops and not had any issues at all :eek:

I checked the data transfer and we used over 3 gigs in that time (but no streaming or big file downloads). Having said that, on the last day before my 'all you can eat for £20 add on' expired I did stream Spotify for 4 hours and a 30 minute video.......... still no problems :D

I am just saying to those that have asked............ try it........ you have nothing to lose (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You can teather phone here not in Europe

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I tried to tether with my payg sim card in my phone and received a message on the pc saying is not allowed,(france) you must have slipped through the net somehow.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Very lucky then, I haven't tried again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun