CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
We're on site for the weekend as today is an inset day at little c's school and I fancied a trip away. We arrived last night, just after sunset. About a minute after that, the gas was on, closely followed by the kettle (y)

So far today, we've explored the site, played in the park and played table tennis. Now I'm sitting in the van with a coffee and observing the time honoured tradition of tugger watching. I never thought it could be as funny as its followers made out! It is!!!

Tugger A
Arrived 3 hours ago. Reversed onto pitch, checked pitch number. Drove onto second pitch. Went too far. Reversed. Checked pitch number. Drove along road, checking pitch numbers. Reversed onto pitch number 3. Shuffled about a bit. Unhitched. Did steadies. Two hours ago they started on the awning just as we headed off to play tt. They finished 15 mins ago. He's been rummaging about in lockers for a while now and I've just seen a satellite dish... That's this afternoon's entertainment sorted :rofl: on second thoughts, maybe we'll go swimming instead and see how they're getting on when we come out :D

Tugger B
Not nearly as much fun.... They went straight to their pitch, reversed on and unhitched. Then they hitched up again, reversed into the ehu, pulled forward again and unhitched. Next they did the steadies, grey waste trolley and aquaroll. All over in about 20 minutes :(

Anyway, if anyone's at Hendra this weekend and fancies a coffee or beer and some tugger watching, send me a pm :clap2:

OP
OP
CandC

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Not half as much fun as watching a front wheel drive chugger getting stuck in the mud ..

now that is worth watching... hope the weather stays fine ;)
Thanks... For the laugh and the good weather wishes :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I spent many years caravanning but was luckier than most as I had a farming upbringing so learned to reverse trailers when I was still under 10yrs old. The result of this is that the caravan never phased me & I spent a while teaching my wife to reverse her horse trailer & the caravan too, she took to it like a duck to water. Very often she would get a round of applause as she parked up first go & with millimetre perfection! However, we always loved getting onto a site on a friday afternoon & this would allow us to settle back for the evening show of other caravans arriving on site. It always provided much hilarity & was always good exercise for the chuckle muscles.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
At Hawkshead a couple of weeks ago we had a (very) elderly couple with the smallest caravan turn up next to us about 11.00am. it took until 12.10 for them to get this caravan onto the hardstanding (which are large there). It was so small I could have picked it up and dropped it in place with one hand.

The wife's hand signals to "help" with reversing had us rolling on the floor!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Then no one mentioned the commencement of the tap tap tapping for an hour

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Whilst the antics of others can be amusing, it goes for tuggers and Motorhomes alike. The ones I sometimes do feel tempted to laugh at are those who have modern units with toilets and showers but prefer to trip the light fantastic in their dressing gowns across a campsite in the peeing rain to use a toilet and shower someone else has just vacated. Not that I use campsites often, hardly ever actually but it seems whenever I do the "bog runners" seem to be about.

Each to their own I suppose.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Then no one mentioned the commencement of the tap tap tapping for an hour
Does my head in- especially if you've just pitched up after a long drive, sat in the sun ... and then the tapping starts !
Top tip: Hit it, don't k'in tap it !! If you're tapping it, the hammer ain't big enough ;)
Either that, or buy a Hilti gun and do the job in a minute (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Anthropologists in training could do a Uni thesis on the machinations of caravan folks antics...bunch of nutters:D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Plotted up at the CCC site near Scarborough
Late in the afternoon a small motorhome pulls in opposite us
After a few minutes the lady emerges with a tiny watering can ( the type used for indoor plants ) and walks the 50 or so yards to the tap

Thought that was the end of it until upon her return the chap gotr out and took the cap off the water tank
For more than an hour she trudged back and forth filling the tank up with her one litre pot !
I did offer my rolly polly and pump after watching for ten minutes but she assured me she was quite happy.. It was their first outing with their new van etc etc..

The following day they put away the chairs, unhooked the EHU and opened the valve on the water tank to drain it all away again !!!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
[QUOTE="iandsm, The ones I sometimes do feel tempted to laugh at are those who have modern units with toilets and showers but prefer to trip the light fantastic in their dressing gowns across a campsite in the peeing rain to use a toilet and shower someone else has just vacated.

I agree , I can't understand dressing gowns etc,
but the other thing I can't quite understand is taking all your washing up to the communal washing up area, ( we've all got full kitchen facilities, Haven't we ) I can see why if you don't want the gunge going into your waste tank, but still find it a strange habit !!!

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
[QUOTE="iandsm, The ones I sometimes do feel tempted to laugh at are those who have modern units with toilets and showers but prefer to trip the light fantastic in their dressing gowns across a campsite in the peeing rain to use a toilet and shower someone else has just vacated.

but the other thing I can't quite understand is taking all your washing up to the communal washing up area, ( we've all got full kitchen facilities, Haven't we ) I can see why if you don't want the gunge going into your waste tank, but still find it a strange habit !!!
Yup me too, I don't compromise on the comforts I have at home when away for months at a time. Perhaps the bog trotters and wash up trotters think they have paid for it so they are damnwell going to use it,however inconvenient, cold and messy it may be. Or perhaps they think they might get a little more money for unused sinks showers and toilets when they trade in. Good luck with that

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I can remember years ago staying at a french camp site and a huge English Motorhome turned up with a very posh family and kids. They all had white fluffy monogrammed dressing gowns to traipse backwards and forwards to the toilet block. They looked quite out of place but were obviously enjoying themselves so good luck to them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the other thing I can't quite understand is taking all your washing up to the communal washing up area, ( we've all got full kitchen facilities, Haven't we ) I can see why if you don't want the gunge going into your waste tank, but still find it a strange habit !!!

We would use this facility if we are in a sunny clime, on a site with good washing up facilities with plenty of hot water.. why not.. especially with a big load of dirty pots and BBQ stuff to scrub... otherwise no

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Just tip your washing up bowl over next doors pitch.

Problem sorted(y)

Deleted User

Those of us that came into vanning via tents had no alternative to using the site facilities, except for a shovel(don't think that would go down too well on most sites:) ).

I personally find it strange to not use the site facilities when you are paying for them, never ever use a dressing gown though!!.......strictly au naturel:rofl:

It would be interesting to know how many motorhome owners started off as tent campers and how this correlates with the use of site facilities.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Those of us that came into vanning via tents had no alternative to using the site facilities, except for a shovel(don't think that would go down too well on most sites:) ).

I personally find it strange to not use the site facilities when you are paying for them, never ever use a dressing gown though!!.......strictly au naturel:rofl:

It would be interesting to know how many motorhome owners started off as tent campers and how this correlates with the use of site facilities.
I started as a tent camper then went to a caravan then saw the light.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I guess those of you with full size sinks and showers, with an endless supply of hot water would find it strange that those of us with slightly more limited accommodation would choose to use the site facilities on the odd occasion that we use a site. We do whatever is most convenient for us at any given time - if it's pouring with rain, then we're probably not going to walk to the toilet block. I assume that everyone else does whatever is most convenient for them - I don't find this at all baffling. I don't judge others, nor am I ever so desperate for something to do that I would regard watching other people going about their daily business as a form of entertainment.

Steve

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I guess those of you with full size sinks and showers, with an endless supply of hot water would find it strange that those of us with slightly more limited accommodation would choose to use the site facilities on the odd occasion that we use a site. We do whatever is most convenient for us at any given time - if it's pouring with rain, then we're probably not going to walk to the toilet block. I assume that everyone else does whatever is most convenient for them - I don't find this at all baffling. I don't judge others, nor am I ever so desperate for something to do that I would regard watching other people going about their daily business as a form of entertainment.

Steve
And long may you continue to enjoy it.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Plotted up at the CCC site near Scarborough
Late in the afternoon a small motorhome pulls in opposite us
After a few minutes the lady emerges with a tiny watering can ( the type used for indoor plants ) and walks the 50 or so yards to the tap

Thought that was the end of it until upon her return the chap gotr out and took the cap off the water tank
For more than an hour she trudged back and forth filling the tank up with her one litre pot !
I did offer my rolly polly and pump after watching for ten minutes but she assured me she was quite happy.. It was their first outing with their new van etc etc..

The following day they put away the chairs, unhooked the EHU and opened the valve on the water tank to drain it all away again !!!

We still laugh about our first trip in our first MH, just 3 years ago.

We forgot to fill the water tank before pitching up, Brian decided to use his new collapsible water container (it never got used again).

He went backwards and forwards to the tap, then got arm trembles trying to hold it up and pour. It kept collapsing. I 'helped' by holding a hose to the inlet but still more water was hitting the ground than going into the tank.

We laughed so much we could hardly stand up. Meanwhile a seasoned tugger sat on his step watching the whole proceedings. I said "do you think he knows we're newbies".

We now have an external 12v socket and water pump which is very useful.

Karen

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Love the smell of burning clutches and the sound of cooling fans and over revving engines as the motorhomes try and get level on the ramps:).........as i sit under my awning having a nice cold beer:)

Me too.

I can't be doing all that levelling business.

I only notice the slope first thing in the morning when I get out of bed and lurch one way or the other:D

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've had caravans in the past, still have a trailer that I use with the car, ashamed to say I still cant reverse it round a corner with any accuracy to save my life :doh:. I know the theory, but get brain freeze :wub:
There's trailers and then there's trailers, 40 footers, fine. 20ft caravan, fine. 4ft trailer makes me look like an amateur the little bar steward! :mad: :LOL:

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It seems to be a modern trait to laugh at someones downfall or struggle.... I dont get it to be honest.
It ain't right but people have been doing it since the beginning of time. I bet there was a caveman who laughed when his mate fell into a pile of poo done by a huge Somethingasorus. I would find it hilarious if Trumps wig blew off and talking of blowing off can you imagine the suppressed giggles if the Queen farted at a state banquet.

Actually Queen Victoria is said to have farted loudly at a state banquet and looking to defuse the situation called over an experience older footman and said in a loud voice , "Jenkins, stop that at once" Jenkins replied, " certainly Ma'am if you would tell me which way it went"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back