Garmin Base Camp .. getting to grips with it. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I tried to get my head around Base Camp several times .. with limited success, so yesterday I spend a bit time watching 'how to do it' vids' and practising with it.. and then it all fell into place... the 'light bulb' moment..

If you have never tried or tried and given up like I had, give it another go.. it's well worth it.

I have used Google maps , plotting a route then converting to a GPX file for the Garmin.. The benefit of Base Camp is, you can download the Garmin maps to your PC or Mac and use without a data connection.

With the Garmin connected, the map also sees the POIs in the sat nav data which you can use in Base Camp..

It takes a bit of effort but well worth the effort. I've got a handle on the basics.. and it's a powerful tool.. well worth making the effort to learn... I never realised how good it was. !

Using Base Camp you have full control over the route... you can plan your route, rest stops, overnight stops, way points etc.. no more crossing fingers and hoping the sat nav knows the 'best' route.. no more being taken down a dirt or unsuitable road..

I 'd also been looking for an 'Autoroute' equivalent for the Mac.. this is as good as, if not better.. What a great bit of software..

so get busy.. and if you have any tips, questions or comments please post them here...

sorry, those with Chinese sat nags will just have to cross fingers.. :LOL:;)

This video is a good introduction..

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I keep meaning to have a real 'go' with it. To date I have never tried it with the Garmin attached to the Mac but will now try again. Do you happen to know if Base Camp reads any profile set in the SatNav Jim? I have a Dezl 560 and it would be great if it transmitted the Hymer's size and weight profile into Base Camp.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I keep meaning to have a real 'go' with it. To date I have never tried it with the Garmin attached to the Mac but will now try again. Do you happen to know if Base Camp reads any profile set in the SatNav Jim? I have a Dezl 560 and it would be great if it transmitted the Hymer's size and weight profile into Base Camp.

Sorry Phillip.. don't know, only have the 'boys' Garmin.. :LOL:

please post your findings, it would useful if it did..

I'm planning on buying the Camper or Truck model.. I'm hoping Santa has one for me ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I tried with this Jim some time ago after hearing about it from Eddie @Judgemental, but then discovered that it won't work with my 3 year old Garmin Nuvi. Gutted, as it looks good!
Dave

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I tried with this Jim some time ago after hearing about it from Eddie @Judgemental, but then discovered that it won't work with my 3 year old Garmin Nuvi. Gutted, as it looks good!
Dave
I'm surprised too as I used it with a Nuvi 1300T bought in April 2010.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I'm surprised too as I used it with a Nuvi 1300T bought in April 2010.

No I'm wrong! It appears that the routes I created that I didn't think had gone to the device were in fact at the bottom of my favourites list! I hadn't given them a distinct enough title so didn't spot them.

I shall have another play!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I tried to get my head around Base Camp several times .. with limited success, so yesterday I spend a bit time watching 'how to do it' vids' and practising with it.. and then it all fell into place... the 'light bulb' moment..

If you have never tried or tried and given up like I had, give it another go.. it's well worth it.

I have used Google maps , plotting a route then converting to a GPX file for the Garmin.. The benefit of Base Camp is, you can download the Garmin maps to your PC or Mac and use without a data connection.

With the Garmin connected, the map also sees the POIs in the sat nav data which you can use in Base Camp..

It takes a bit of effort but well worth the effort. I've got a handle on the basics.. and it's a powerful tool.. well worth making the effort to learn... I never realised how good it was. !

Using Base Camp you have full control over the route... you can plan your route, rest stops, overnight stops, way points etc.. no more crossing fingers and hoping the sat nav knows the 'best' route.. no more being taken down a dirt or unsuitable road..

I 'd also been looking for an 'Autoroute' equivalent for the Mac.. this is as good as, if not better.. What a great bit of software..

so get busy.. and if you have any tips, questions or comments please post them here...

sorry, those with Chinese sat nags will just have to cross fingers.. :LOL:;)

This video is a good introduction..

I think im like you were. ..
You've inspired me to have another go.(y)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
No...bummer, it seems that the Nuvi50LM does not have the software to use Base Camp!

It connects and all appears as if it's downloaded but no routes come up! I've checked out the Garmin site and they confirm, along with other models that it won't work!

Shame though...:(

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No...bummer, it seems that the Nuvi50LM does not have the software to use Base Camp!

It connects and all appears as if it's downloaded but no routes come up! I've checked out the Garmin site and they confirm, along with other models that it won't work!

Shame though...:(
bummer ..

in case you missed it .. Aldi have a Garmin on offer this week at £90 .. European mapping with lifetime updates .. Broken Link Removed

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Yep, agree great piece of software for creating, amending, managing, etc routes.

One tip I've found useful is that I created a new "database" in Options and store this on a usb stick. Means I can move this stick between pcs \ laptops that have BaseCamp installed and have the same data \ routes \ etc available on all. So desktop at home \ laptop in motorhome.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
bummer ..

in case you missed it .. Aldi have a Garmin on offer this week at £90 .. European mapping with lifetime updates .. Broken Link Removed

I spotted that Jim, but if I change I fancy one that I can programe m'home details into. I'll stick with the Garmin I have for now...it's loaded with all my own POI and it's taken us through Europe a few times now without too much of a problem...plus I always have the 'add on app' of my Nav who enjoys being surrounded by lists and maps :). Good thread though Jim (y).

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If anyone wants to follow above tip here's how you do it.
  1. Open BaseCamp on your pc \ laptop \ etc.
  2. From the top toolbar –
    1. Edit
    2. Options
  3. From the window that opens –
    1. Select General in left pane
    2. Under Database Options click the + sign
  4. From the window that opens –
    1. Give your new database a name (eg Funsters Routes)
    2. Browse to the location where you want to store (you will need to create a new folder if you haven’t already done so)
  5. Your new database name should appear in the box to the right of the + sign
  6. Click OK
  7. BaseCamp will restart and you’ll now be connected to your new database stored on your usb stick
  8. When moving the usb stick to another machine do the above steps (except creating a new folder) but select the previously created folder on your usb stick
  9. You only have to do this once on each machine as it will default to the new database every time unless you haven’t plugged the usb stick in (for obvious reasons!)
That’s it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I only yesterday figured out that there was an option to install maps to device and computer. ..
Doh

yes, it's not obvious how to do it.. as you have found out

the instructions are here http://support.garmin.com/support/s...70-ced3-11e2-4085-000000000000}&kbName=garmin

In Garmin Express and with your sat nav connected, click map update.. (even if you are up to date) .. you get this screen with the option to 'Install Map to Computer'
Capture.PNG

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
From memory, when a new map is released you get the options to -
  • Install to device
  • Install to computer
  • Install to both
Once it's been installed the Options are changed to the screenshot Jim shows above.
You should also note the installation of a new map to a computer does not remove \ delete any older versions. This means you can start to use up a lot of hard disc space over a period of time.
You can check which versions of maps are currently on your computer by -
  • Open BaseCamp
  • Maps in the top toolbar and the drop down box will show which map versions are installed on your computer. It will show versions you have downloaded (and still installed) and "Global Map" which is installed with the original installation of BaseCamp.
  • As far as I know the only way to remove older versions is to delete the associated sub-folder from the folder you installed to. The default installation folder is as shown in Jim's screenshot. Make sure you select the latest version in BaseCamp before doing so.
  • The path to the map files will most likely be (assuming you did a default installation of BaseCamp) -
    • C:\Program Data\Garmin\Maps\
      • City Navigator Europe NTU 2015.40.gmap
      • City Navigator Europe NTU 2016.10.gmap
      • City Navigator Europe NTU 2016.20.gmap
      • or something like that depending what versions have been, and are, still installed
      • being a "chicken" I have created a folder C:\Program Data\Garmin Maps (Old) and I cut the old version out of the above and paste it into here. It gives you the option to paste it back to the original folder if BaseCamp didn't like it. If BaseCamp does like it you could then delete from Garmin Maps (Old) folder freeing up the space.
Worth checking 'cause the map folders are around 4.5Gb each.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Next "useful" tip.
You can back-up the new database you created in post #15 by -
  • Open BaseCamp
  • File in the top toolbar
  • Backup from the drop down box
  • Browse to where you want to create the back-up file
  • Click save
  • Restore is the same but select Restore from the drop down box

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
For others who may be considering trying BaseCamp this is (probably) the page where you discovered the bad news.
http://support.garmin.com/support/s...caseId={b78f1b60-29a7-11de-76c5-000000000000}

I'm so naffed off that I can't use Basecamp, I'm thinking I might get this one on offer at Argos at the moment. I also have an £80 voucher I could use. It looks like it's suitable? Any views?
Dave

PS Can anyone tell me if my current dash mounted bracket would fit? Are they the same mountings?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm so naffed off that I can't use Basecamp, I'm thinking I might get this one on offer at Argos at the moment. I also have an £80 voucher I could use. It looks like it's suitable? Any views?
Dave

PS Can anyone tell me if my current dash mounted bracket would fit? Are they the same mountings?

It's a good buy no doubt.. handy as a spare if/when you buy the Camper model..

not sure about the mounting whether same or not.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
It's a good buy no doubt.. handy as a spare if/when you buy the Camper model..

not sure about the mounting whether same or not.

I quite fancy a camper model, they just seem to shoot up in price though and I'm not sure apart from being able to enter weight, (I think), and dimensions, what the advantages are for such a price hike.
Dave

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Dave

Don't think mounts are consistent over the Garmin range. There is also some difference in the functionality of the power \ data cable that plugs into the lighter socket over models.

As an side, the 760 Camper shown on Argos website for £349.99 (the model Jim is referring to above) is still available in some Aldi stores for £179.99 and they normally transfer between branches for you. We got one and it's great along with BaseCamp.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks @Gellyneck , I'll keep my eye out for a bargain!

Edit:

This doesn't seem a bad price?

http://www.expeditelectronics.com/g...M8I7LfGazS1zW67qIM7i6Uv9lJfD6hNIzUaAl1l8P8HAQ

Would they be suitable for one of these mounts which I currently have? Also at a better price than I paid!!!

http://www.halfords.com/technology/...sories/garmin-sat-nav-portable-friction-mount
You could give Aldi head office a ring. I'm pretty sure somebody posted a while ago and said that they had arranged to send one of the Camper sat navs to his local store for him.

Garmin support will tell you which mounts fit which accessories.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Your local store should also be able to organize an inter-store transfer.
They certainly did for a tv for me (from Oban).

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Thanks @Gellyneck , I'll keep my eye out for a bargain!

Edit:

This doesn't seem a bad price?

http://www.expeditelectronics.com/g...M8I7LfGazS1zW67qIM7i6Uv9lJfD6hNIzUaAl1l8P8HAQ

Would they be suitable for one of these mounts which I currently have? Also at a better price than I paid!!!

http://www.halfords.com/technology/...sories/garmin-sat-nav-portable-friction-mount

The Camper 760 has the power supply integral with its own mount so possibly the Halfords mount may physically attach to the unit but there is no provision for the power supply.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Yes, it is, I looked at this dealer earlier.. but hesitated as they are probably imports from Hong Kong .. so was a bit reluctant and checked on Trustpilot.. some mixed reviews .. but it put me off https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/expeditelectronics.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back