Free Member
Oct 21, 2015
Shepton Mallet
Funster No
MH
Knaus 430
Exp
Since 2011
Dear Fellow Members, my lady and I have just moved to the UK from Budapest, Hungary. (She is a doctor of rheumatology, I am a dogtrainer/writer/public speaker/photographer/marketing consultant... among a few other things.) We have come over with our caravan and our two dogs, Woody and Mini-Roulette. So far everybody we have met on our way was surprisingly kind and helpful to us. (Haven't been to London yet). We are very optimistic about living over here and we will do everything we can to add our expertise and enthusiasm to our new community - wherever it will be. As we can basically relocate to any county or town, we would be happy to hear a few comments on what place you recommend us to check out. We are happy to be here and we are looking forward to meeting you guys. With love, from Kristina and Ben.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Welcome to Motorhome Fun

Hope you settle in OK

Mel & Lieve

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi from Eastbourne and :welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi Uncle Ben ,Welcome to the UK .Hope you and your wife enjoy your stay and i am quite sure you will find we have a great country here.Have a great time and you never know you may be back. LOL :cheers:

OP
OP
Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

Free Member
Oct 21, 2015
Shepton Mallet
Funster No
MH
Knaus 430
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and thank you for the quick replies! We are in Brighton right now, going to East Grinstead and EastBourne over the weekend, then off to Reading and Sommerset. We also plan to visit some friends up north, near Yorkshire. the weather was very kind to us so far. :) Ben

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
With a title like yours I would recommend you don't repeat it in certain parts of bigoted Glasgow:LOL::rolleyes::LOL:
Welcome to fun. :)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Hi Uncle Ben and welcome. I live in Crawley so know the south very well. East Grinstead....I would give that a miss myself as there is nothing there of interest. As you will know by now Brighton is great and I would also recommend Arundel with it's huge castle, just South is Ford market on Saturdays only but worth looking round in the morning. Portsmouth is good for the historic docks and some good outlet shopping all within a short walk, easily a full day visit. Visiting Somerset know doubt you are planning to see Stonehenge but also take a look at Shaftesbury's Gold hill. Salisbury is also great but all of this is Wiltshire not somerset. I thing Longleat safari park is Somerset, a superb attraction but is you take a car/van through the park give the monkey's a miss unless you want to a big bill to replace bits of your vehicle.
As for where to live that is where to feel right, if you want a job that pays big bucks then probably London but if I were in your shoes I would move to Shropshire.
Being Autumn now you will see parts of our country are beautiful especially on the cold days with low mist with the sun rising through it, if you are still in Brighton do take the road over Ditchling beacon even if you only go to the beacon to see the views it is worth a look.
Happy driving.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Kristina and Ben, welcome to the fun (y)

OP
OP
Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

Free Member
Oct 21, 2015
Shepton Mallet
Funster No
MH
Knaus 430
Exp
Since 2011
Mister Big Bus Man, thank you sooo much for your detailed reply to our post, it was the first thing in the morning that we checked the mail, and wrote down all the info and the city names you mentioned. So Shropshire it is, eh? We will go there. And we love to braze around flea-markets, so South Ford is noted, thank you. Yes, Stonehenge is on the "to-do" list, although we are not very much into the "usual tourist attractions", we rather want to see how the English people live, for real. Although we love animals, Longleat safari park is no on the list of "must sees", as I lived in South Africa for eight years and visited the game parks there quite regularly. Regarding the money to make... first we just want to establish ourselves, get to know the system, get to know the "ins and outs", and improve our English. The secret to happy life, as far as we know it, is the step by step approach. Thanks again, you are great, for spending so much time with our little "inquiry". Let me know if you ever visit Hungary (you should!) and we will do the same for you - it's a lovely little country, beautiful scenery, great wine, and Budapest is really... one of a kind. See you on the roads! Uncle Ben and Kristina

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Welcome Uncle Ben and Kristina

We moved from Sussex many years ago, although our three children still live there. We are in Norfolk now and planning to move to Suffolk very soon. All the counties are lovely in their own way but we definitely prefer the rural way of life. Some time back there was a question on the forum about the best place to live. Lots of good answers on that. I'll see if I can find it.
:welc:

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I typed 'best place to live' in the Search box and found it. Exciting times ahead.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My son keeps on nagging us to go to Budapest for a long weekend...he says its one of the best City breaks going. Welcome to the forum you do sound like great people, enjoy your travels...

We live in London and its great city. The caravan club have a few sites around London. If you get to the crystal palace one I'll buy you a pint as we live nearbye:)

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Hello and :welc:.
Another vote for Crystal Palace for London from us.
Liverpool worth a visit, but no sites there, stay instead at Southport Caravan Club site, recently upgraded, open all year, if you need full site facilities. Otherwise stay at Pleasureland, Southport. Good train service from there to Liverpool and Manchester. Good museums in both as well as other attractions. Lots of pubs doing meals and real ales - traditional pubs and not the full of screaming kids chains type.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Hello again Uncle ben, thanks for your kind words. If you want to know how the British people lived in victorian times go to Ironbridge in Shropshire, a series of seven museums set in an area around the famous bridge (car/van not walking) the main one being Blists Hill, a complete victorian village, much better than the rival village known as the Black Country Museum in Birmingham. Liverpool is good, park in the old docks carpark, vans can use the coach section. Have a good time.

Last edited:

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
:welc:
After yorkshire, you must visit Cumbria, a truly beautiful county too. Welcome and enjoy your travels & discoveries

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome, not that I'm bias but I'd recommend Scotland.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back