Tablet (1 Viewer)

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Has anybody got any views or recommendations on a good cheap tablet to keep in the mh rather than using my laptop?

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I bought a Acer Chromebook CB5 311 specifically for taking away with me. It is very light and has an amazing 12hr battery life. It also has excellent reviews.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Not a cheap tablet but I now take my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (8in screen) when we are away in the motorhome. At home I'm used to a quad processor PC with two screens but I have found that I can survive quite well for 2 or 3 weeks with just a small tablet!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hudl 2 is excellent at £99. I'm using one at the moment. I bought myself a Nexus 9 last week which was twice the price and it is probably a little better but it died this week so is being returned for a replacement, hence using Mrs DBK's Hudl!

OP
OP
xsparks
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for your input very helpful.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Totally not the answer you were looking for. My daughter wanted a computer for her birthday, and due to favourable tax breaks I purchased her an Acer Aspire Switch 10. Initially just because it was a cheap machine.
Now we have it, I am seriously thinking about purchasing one for myself. It is a hybrid, so can be used as a tablet, when docked there is a 500gb hard disk in the keyboard. Also, when on the dock you can use a proper mouse, it has a full size usb socket on the side.
Well worth a look, gives you best of both worlds.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
...if you're gonna go for a Hudl2, be quick.
Which may refer to something like this. http://m.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2382075/tescos-hudl-2-tablet-doesnt-recognise-its-own-charger

The writer hasn't a clue - this Hudl 2 updated itself to Android 5.1 immediately after we turned it on. That Tesco may well discontinue it means nothing. Android isn't going to be killed off.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just as an addendum to my previous comment. If you do purchase a new windows PC, particularly Acer products, you should uninstall immediately all of the unnecessary crap that is preloaded these days. As a general rule, you will find that you get McAfee or Norton free trial antivirus software. These products are so hideously bloaty and inefficient that the only way they protect your machine is by making it totally unusable.
After uninstall, go to the control panel and enable windows defender, which is free (and already pre-installed), and remarkably for Microsoft, a really decent product!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has anybody got any views or recommendations on a good cheap tablet to keep in the mh rather than using my laptop?

Be aware, they have no significant storage so no backing your holiday pictures, they are poor for a lot of typing but a cheap bluetooth keyboard helps a lot.

But for reading FUN and emails, great. Book reading too.

I would not leave my laptop behind, it's my bulk storage, thousands of books, pictures, movies which I can transfer to my tablet if I want very portable.

Now you choose 7" 9" 10". Cheap so you need Android. Millions for under £50. Try to get GPS then you have a SATNAV.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Which may refer to something like this. http://m.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2382075/tescos-hudl-2-tablet-doesnt-recognise-its-own-charger

The writer hasn't a clue - this Hudl 2 updated itself to Android 5.1 immediately after we turned it on. That Tesco may well discontinue it means nothing. Android isn't going to be killed off.
Simpler than that... Just that no more Hudl2's will be produced and that whatever stock exists is it.
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/10/grab-a-hudl-2-now-before-they-sell-out-and-never-return/
Tesco say they will continue "supporting" the Hudl... But I'm not sure what support they offered, other than replacing faulty hardware.
Software & OS is pretty vanilla Android so supported in a myriad of online communities

Just because an item becomes obsolete or discontinued doesn't mean the one you have will suddenly stop working, or stop doing what it did yesterday.

Still for sale £99 (less with Tesco vouchers);
http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/?sc_cmp=tp4_aff_1503186

OP
OP
xsparks
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Don't really know how much rom or ram I need or how many cores but I would like to read books,emails funsters info and camper contacts etc, and perhaps be able to down load some videos. Will I require Windows or android? and how fast does it need to be? why do I need GPS?

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Don't really know how much rom or ram I need or how many cores but I would like to read books,emails funsters info and camper contacts etc, and perhaps be able to down load some videos. Will I require Windows or android? and how fast does it need to be? why do I need GPS?
Most tablets have GPS as standard, so really a redundant question. GPS gives you the ability to search for things where you are. Also you can enable tracking to find out where your device is, should it be pinched!
Windows or Android is also rather irrelevant judging by your requirements. Any tablet whether it be running Windows or Android will do all of the things you list. Most tablets will also accept SD cards, so you can upgrade the storage fairly rapidly. There are various offerings for cloud storage, with Windows it will be One Drive. Not sure if there is a standard with Android, but one would imagine it would be Amazons cloud server.
Just be aware that downloading a video suggests that you want to store it, a standard movie is around 4gb, that is a lot on a machine that only has 64 gb. If by downloading you just mean "I am going to watch a video" that is different, it does get downloaded, but into temp storage, which is ditched after you finish watching.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Surely you must have at least two Apple Pads?

These will go with your Rolex watch and 2000 euros when you get gassed and robbed on a French Aire.

Sorry, very naughty I know, but couldn't resist.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Will I require Windows or android? and how fast does it need to be? why do I need GPS?

Android offers the biggest choice what you can do with it by far.

GPS: a tablet with GPS makes a good satnav at no extra cost.

Speed/cores/memory: simple, bigger the better.

Here is an example of a well know make, in fact I have an older version. You need this and a 32/64G memory card.

Broken Link Removed

There are many cheaper ones on ebay but ASUS is a quality make.

OP
OP
xsparks
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
What a great system this is every body is so helpful and knowledgeable thanks a lot.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Although a tablet doesn't have a lot of storage, most will take an SD card and these are cheap and can be swapped in and out without switching off. I have 80 odd videos on one (in MP4 format) but even as a full dvd copy you can still get 8 on a 32Gb card. 64Gb cards are a bit more expensive but you can get 32Gb ones for about a fiver.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back