Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I know this has been flogged to death on here before , but here's a different slant on it. Last night I was driving a Scania 8 wheel truck and had to reverse down a steep hill, when reversing with the engine brake switched on every time the brakes are applied the engine brake cuts in and grabs making progress very jerky. It was dark so I put my hand down to switch it off pressed the wrong switch and a notice came up on the dash to say DPF filter regen not required, after speaking to other drivers it appears you can make it regen just by pressing a button. The point of all this drivel is , wouldn't it be a good idea if this switch was fitted to cars and vans as well.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Strange you just posted this as we just bought a new van based on a Transit 155bhp Euro 5 chassis 2015.
Reading the handbook it turns out the DPF fluid called AdBlue is required to be topped up.Thats okay I had a Peugeot 605 with similar system BUT this Tranny has a 21 ltr tank.
Gonna be a pretty costly exercise when this needs filling up I reckon.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Crikey, I need one of these. My wife has a Nissan quashqi and the light came on last week, she took it in and they charged her £1700!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve devon

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Strange you just posted this as we just bought a new van based on a Transit 155bhp Euro 5 chassis 2015.
Reading the handbook it turns out the DPF fluid called AdBlue is required to be topped up.Thats okay I had a Peugeot 605 with similar system BUT this Tranny has a 21 ltr tank.
Add blue has nothing to do with the DPF, it's an additive that burn alongside deisel , I bought some for the lorry last night, 75 p per litre, it will last you for ages , don't be too concerned

OP
OP
Steve devon

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I think any euro 6 engine , be it truck or car uses add blue, but cars use so little it's topped up st every service

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Thanks for that Steve,as we live in France I was translating the handbook in my head and it was in the same section as DPF.
Must have had a little too much Vin rouge with my dinner!!

OP
OP
Steve devon

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for that Steve,as we live in France I was translating the handbook in my head and it was in the same section as DPF.
Must have had a little too much Vin rouge with my dinner!!
Ha ha ! I'm from the West Country , so it's cider down here , but not tonight got to o to work

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It's sprayed in to the exhaust as it leaves the engine. Engine still runs with out it.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Some firms have been known to disconnect them . It's strange that trucks of the same age and make on a fleet differ in the amount of ad blue they use.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I know this has been flogged to death on here before , but here's a different slant on it. Last night I was driving a Scania 8 wheel truck and had to reverse down a steep hill, when reversing with the engine brake switched on every time the brakes are applied the engine brake cuts in and grabs making progress very jerky. It was dark so I put my hand down to switch it off pressed the wrong switch and a notice came up on the dash to say DPF filter regen not required, after speaking to other drivers it appears you can make it regen just by pressing a button. The point of all this drivel is , wouldn't it be a good idea if this switch was fitted to cars and vans as well.

the button isn't the only means of operating the regen, it all depends on the situation, the ECU may want you to use more revs or it may ask you to stop and use the regen button.

I assume the lack of a dedicated button in cars is to make the process automatic and not something a driver can just ignore.

Of course it's all let down by the fact nobody is Told about DPF regen when they buy a diesel or that if all they do is pop to the local shops then a diesel isn't for them

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I thought the Transits at Euro 5 did not have adblue as it will come with the Euro6 engine in July next year. unless they have some models out already with it on at Euro 6. Adblue is a LOT cheaper if it is bought in bulk. Try and find a friendly Haulier.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Ha ha ! I'm from the West Country , so it's cider down here , but not tonight got to o to work
Mercedes Sprinter will NOT START if it runs down it has a sensor the know the level and will give you a rundown of STARTS AVAILABLE when it get to Zero it will not start and needs a main dealer reboot of the ECU unless you know the coding signal.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Interesting stuff,thanks.
When I had the Peugeot 607 and found the cost of the stuff for that,my son in law worked for Ford,he told me they used an additive in the trucks and he could be able to get me some but on checking found it was different stuff,so clearly we are not talking about the same thing.
I will check again but the book shows a filler cap,plastic similar to screen wash for example but doesn't state where it is,will have a closer look and report back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back