flat areas of france for old camper (1 Viewer)

L

larumbera

Deleted User
As our camper does not cope well with hills but we would like to make our first trip abroad, would the north of France be a good bet. Have looked at Holland but don't cancy the 8 hour crossing with an 8 year old. Any suggestions of good campsites (possible near Boulogne) for a week in August? With a pool would be great

Tailendcharley

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Funster No
:Smile::Smile:Hi and welcome,

Plenty of good camp sites down that part of the coast particulary Le Treport area so don't have any fears just go for it and enjoy yourself....we all started off with fear and trepidation on our first trip abroad but soon realized what a wonderful country France is....

Out of interest how old is your Van for you to have fear about hills etc.

Regards

Smithy :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

larumbera

Deleted User
thanks. We have a 1991 Fiat Duccato engine which struggles to get up the small slopes of essex. We are taking it to a garage next week for them to see how they can improve performance. Are Aires good options if you have children? I think my son would miss having a playground where he could meet other kids or a pool for example, eventhough I know the Aires would be cheaper. Do you have to buy the guide book or can you get the addresses off the internet?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think my son would miss having a playground where he could meet other kids or a pool for example,

We have been on a couple of municipal sites with play areas and in once case the town swimming pool - cheap ( €10-15 ) and immaculate.

Just google "france camping" and you'll get loads of hits.

Also try "france camping municipal".

One thing is for sure, there is no shortage of campings in France.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hello and welcome.
We have a 1990 Fiat Ducato which took us to the Pyrenees in November and we have just got back from North Italy. No problems with the engine other things yes. The garage should spot any problems.
The aires are great and cheap but you are right about your son missing a play area. Both trips we stayed at aires we didn't find families with small children staying except for an overnight stop.
Small municipal campsites with a pool next door or nearby are ideal as you are not paying top prices.
This site gives you info on campsites in the Pas de Calais.
France Travel Guide, Photos, Tourism, Hotels in France
Link Removed This one lists several some on the coast one La Kilienne has Fresh water fishing and pool and playground. I haven't stayed in any campsites here as we use the aires near Epernay to go south.
The beach at Wimereux is huge as is the one at Le Touquet.
Go for it! France is much friendlier to Motor homes thean the UK with our strict parking laws. You will enjoy it!
Lucille

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We do not use high cost sites, they aires and municipals are great value for money .. while I agree that some aires are not great for kids there are plenty that are.

Many are right next to a beach, many have grassy areas and the one mentioned at Le Touquet has a playing field, kids play area, basket ball court and table tennis. In season you will find lots of French and Spanish families on aires, sometimes too many .. :roflmto:
Others are little more than car parks.. only good for an overnight stop whether you have kids or not.

Ones we have used on or near the beach, Mimizan Plage, Capbreton, Quiberon, Plougonleven, Le Touquet, Plouha, Contis Plage, .. and many many more along the Atlantic and Brittany coast .. inland you will find them by a river or lake..
Kids don't need a pool or man made facilities when the great outdoors is waiting to be explored.. France is not only motorhome friendly it is cycle friendly, many places have safe cycle paths or pistes .. great for the kids..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back