LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
It seems that 3 are tightening the net on Feel at Home use. I have a 3 data SIM in my mifi and have received the following text message:

"If you use it for 2 complete months in a rolling 12 month period we will turn off your international roaming services. As you have already roamed exclusively in our FAH for at least 1 month in the last 12 we will switch off roaming if you roam exclusively in a FAH destination for a further month. See Broken Link Removed use"

The word "exclusively" seems to be key. Maybe some of use need to post the SIM back to a friend in the UK every few weeks for them to use for a day or two and return the SIM to avoid being cut off? :frowny:

Has anyone else received this text from 3 or been cut off whilst abroad?

Deleted User
Got back last week from a 3 month trip in FAH destinations.

I'm on PAYG on a 3 mifi and used up my included data and topped up twice in the last month (online)

I didn't receive any messages from 3 but will check again tomorrow (the mifi has been switched off in the van since we got back)

I will probably get a cpl of extra payg data sims for our next trip in Jan, just in case.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I have 4 Three Data Sims, I switch them around, only one of these is actually registered to me, just finished a four month trip using Three, or was it a 3 month trip using Four? Anyway the bottom line must be, Its a fantastic system that I would have expected to carry some conditions at sometime, still way ahead of the rest, currently.
In my opinion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I have been using in phone PAYG .mifi data sim.tablet data sim no problems the usual roaming charge msg when the go on but apart from phone ,never on constantly . out had the msg you described ...yet but cheers for the info(y)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I used my PAYG sim on my phone for three months earlier this year with no problems or messages, we have just got a second sim registered in Ginny's name so I can top it up whilst we're away and have a spare. Quite agree with @jumar that '3' are way ahead of the competition.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Something was mentioned yesterday in another thread re Three roaming changes......

Something in the wind for sure...maybe the way round is to have two SIM..

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Something was mentioned yesterday in another thread re Three roaming changes......

Something in the wind for sure...maybe the way round is to have two SIM..

Yes, probably having more than one SIM is the solution. I have never topped up a PAYG data SIM but always purchased new ones. It is the first time I have received the text message and it is a 12 month 12GB SIM I purchased just 2 to 3 months ago. I used 5GB in the first month (in France). Probably have to re-consider my strategy and revert to 1 and 3 month SIM's.

I agree with @jumar that 3 is still the best deal for roaming in France and Spain.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
and Italy/Switzerland :)

we are both on 3 contract phone deals and never has a problem but most we go away for is a 4 - 6 weeks

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
and Italy/Switzerland :)

we are both on 3 contract phone deals and never has a problem but most we go away for is a 4 - 6 weeks

I did not manage to use my 3 contract phone SIM in France. It rarely found a Network even though the mifi was fine. :crying1:

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I have been investigating this as well. The current 3 mobile T&Cs state the 2 month rule. That put us off 3 for the time being but I like the idea of 2 SIMSs! From a phoning perspective Carphone Warehouse have set up the iD network bizarrely using the 3 network and have an option for free phone roaming in Europe and has better country coverage - it includes Germany and there are no time restrictions - but remember this is only for phoning the UK. Inter Europe call are not included.

The problem at the moment with iD is that their data plan doesn't include European roaming but I have been told that there are changes in the pipeline so am holding off just now but for UK monthly SIM only deals they are very competitive and we will be moving to them in the next week or so.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
with 3 you only get free calls home when roaming as well? not from country to country.. so if your in France and call a campsite in Spain you will be charged..

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The problem at the moment with iD is that their data plan doesn't include European roaming but I have been told that there are changes in the pipeline so am holding off just now but for UK monthly SIM only deals they are very competitive and we will be moving to them in the next week or so.

I have a 3 SIM only contract which is low cost but let me down this year whilst abroad. I think it was more a problem with my 'phone so will look for a new Android dual SIM.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Flamenca,

My phone investigations covered phones as well! These are not the very expensive ones (too tight for that) and narrowed it down to the Samsung J5 and Motorola 3rd Gen both which you can get as dual SIM.

http://www.expeditelectronics.com/s...nlocked.html?gclid=CIPG_Ium08gCFQVuGwodIPgNvA

We went with the Moto as it is waterproof, well rainproof and has Gorilla glass as we cycle a lot. Both have a 13 meg camera which we wanted. If you go for the Moto you would be well advised to go for the 16Gig option. Be careful on buying online as the Moto does come I think with single and dual SIM. I can't check ours for you but will when I get home from work I bought it off Amazon

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm not surprised they're tightening the "loophole", as presumably extended overseas data use for motorhomers wasn't what they envisioned - more convenience for customers on a package holiday for a fortnight or business folk on a trip for a couple of nights.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm not surprised they're tightening the "loophole", as presumably extended overseas data use for motorhomers wasn't what they envisioned - more convenience for customers on a package holiday for a fortnight or business folk on a trip for a couple of nights.
Probably right.....but if you buy an amount of data from them aren't you allowed to use it...

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have a yearly Data Only contract with the 3 network, the Sim card is in our MiFi. The data allowance is 10 gig a month. We were told that Feel At Home is included in the contract. It has worked really well for us in the U.K.
Are we likely to encounter any problems using it in Spain.
Brisey.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
It would seem that if you were close to the 2 months the answer, in the shop anyway, was after 2 months no. I am not clear if you are prevented or then get charged standard European data rates. We back peddled very quickly when this restriction was highlighted to us as we are planning to be away for longer than 2 months.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We have a yearly Data Only contract with the 3 network, the Sim card is in our MiFi. The data allowance is 10 gig a month. We were told that Feel At Home is included in the contract. It has worked really well for us in the U.K.
Are we likely to encounter any problems using it in Spain.
Brisey.

10 gig is a lot of data..do you ever use it... if yes I guess you must be streaming stuff? this 2 month thing has only come up in last few days. if your away longer maybe a trip to indoor market and another Sim for a month then revert to 3 may work...dont know to be honest

often find if you call companies (particularly UK government departments:() you get different answers from front of house muppet's:)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for your replies guys. We will be in Spain next week, will let you know how things work out.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I will be going to France for more than 2 months, so i may as well cancel my monthly contract and start it again when i get back:( and just stick to using free WIFI when its available because i can't afford to get charged extra.

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I will be going to France for more than 2 months, so i may as well cancel my monthly contract and start it again when i get back:( and just stick to using free WIFI when its available because i can't afford to get charged extra.

Look at the cancellation conditions before going down that route. I believe you need to give 30 days notice to end even a 'monthly' contract.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Why would you get charged more?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Manic

You don't say how much more than 2 months you are going to be away. If it is a significant period than maybe stopping your contract may be an avenue to pursue .

However you can buy 1gb, 3gb and 12Gb Data only sims which you could consider taking with you to cover any additional time away but you will need to confirm they will be able to be initiated whilst away and not before you go. As far as I know Pay as you go which is what these cards are usually okay to use abroad as soon as they are initiated whilst Contract sims require to have been used in UK for a month before you depart.

Also if you got the Mifi from 3 as part of your contract then check with them if it is unlocked which it should be as they have been supplying them unlocked since early last year. Also check with them that the Mifi if supplied by them is okay for roaming. The fact that they supply unlocked Mifi's means we can use local sims when needed.

We have just returned from France where we toured around for a month. The 3 Mifi worked very well except in 3 places. We have to accept that mobile phone coverage can be difficult in some parts of the UK and the same applies in France which has much larger rural areas than we have.

Have a great time.

Doug

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I guess the idea of having more than one SIM card is a good way forward, but if they really started to crack down they could probably sink this one too. They certainly know what sort of device you are using - phone or mifi for example, and it wouldn't surprise me they can identify if the same device is being used.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Would be interesting to hear people's view of PAYG sims From a French supplier for data on the french networks, eg. Orange.fr
As most of us spend time in France it would be good to get an experienced view of someone who did use the Frnch network sim, thus solving the roaming issues.
My PAYG UK 3 feel at home sim worked well in the MIFI in September while in France but after about 2 weeks we got the "no tethering" message on iPads etc..... so for us it won't be an option again.

Anyone got suggestions ?

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Probably right.....but if you buy an amount of data from them aren't you allowed to use it...
Of course you are... in the UK, where you bought it
Obviously it will be more expensive if Three then has to buy that data provision from a European network.
I suspect it was meant to be a product enhancement, over & above what the competition offers - not as an alternative to buying a local product once abroad.

In anycase, as I understand it - Three has not stopped this benefit, simply made it a bit harder to use for those who it was truly intended.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I used my PAYG phone with the data on for over three months earlier this year. I was expecting it to be suspended before we got home but it was still working fine as we crossed the Channel. I did turn the 3g off each night, whether that might make a difference I don't know.

The did put the price of the the £15 add on up to £20 in August, maybe that's a sign that they were getting oversubscribed?

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
According to the iD network person I spoke too the changes that the EU introduced WRT data roaming are beginning to force mobile operators to change tariffs, potentially in the New Year. I don't know if that was spin or what but I am certainly going on to a rolling monthly plan just now to keep my options open until we go away early next year. As Jonkil suggested I am going to investigate European data SIMs as well in the next week or so so will post back when I have some information.

I was told, would you believe it, that Lidl did/do some good SIMs in Germany!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back