I started looking at a Car Port type structure........ (1 Viewer)

Fat Rat

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 664
Exp
I started looking at a Car Port type structure to keep the worst of the Welsh winter weather off of the Motorhome, after a bit of research we ended up with this, very pleased :)

parked2.jpg parked4.jpg water.jpg power.jpg

OP
OP
Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 664
Exp
It cost just under £10k, it's 12.5 metres long and 4 metres to the eaves. The reason for the height is that the area we built it on goes out to some of our fields, it's unlikely (as there are other routes) but we may want farm machinery to pass through it. Also, it gives us lots of scope for a Motorhome upgrade :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have been looking at the feasibility of cutting into the hill at the end of our drive and putting a garage in there....... local council have been very helpful with information and the planning officer and the building regs man came out to have an informal chat (we know them both from when we built the house). If it is a shed under a certain height (which it will be as height is measured from ground level and the drive's turning circle is already cut into the hill) it doesn't need planning and if it is under a certain size it also doesn't need building regs!

Now we will have to decide how long we are going to stay in this house. I do love this house and where it is - but there are other considerations with family etc. We are in GSBA (Great Scottish B All) and with having seen what happened when my Grandparents were too ill to make their own choices as to housing, and my own parents going the same way I don't want to land our kids with the dilemma. I'd rather move now whilst I can make choices than have the choices imposed on me.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hmm???. A bit big for my driveway alongside my Bungalow I feel. Can`t see the Neighbours or planning going for it. Still???????????????????????????????????.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
It cost just under £10k, it's 12.5 metres long and 4 metres to the eaves. The reason for the height is that the area we built it on goes out to some of our fields, it's unlikely (as there are other routes) but we may want farm machinery to pass through it. Also, it gives us lots of scope for a Motorhome upgrade :)

Farmer / landowner per chance ?
Says it all really ,probably got planning via the back door as an agricultural building ,hay barn or the like.
Jo public wouldn't stand a chance of building something like that,I live in the sticks and see a multitude of auxiliary buildings going up here there and everywhere ,to be lived in at some point without proper planning.but hey ho if I were in your position I'd ave put a door back and front to protect from the elements.

Vlad

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011

To an airship?

(c:

Very nice if you can though, prolly not appropriate for many on here, but will serve you well - make sure the birds don't nest inside it!!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
wouldn't we all love a storage place like that ..

PS.. I think the RCD unit has tripped.. ;)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No

Now that makes complete sense (y)
I built mine 4 metres to the eaves so MH fits in one bay (4M x 10M).
Total shed floor area is 30m x 10m.

They really need to be indoors.

Have you thought about insulating it?... possible by spray foam?

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Now that makes complete sense (y)
I built mine 4 metres to the eaves so MH fits in one bay (4M x 10M).
Total shed floor area is 30m x 10m.

They really need to be indoors.

Have you thought about insulating it?... possible by spray foam?

:doh:

1. It's a motorhome ,quite happy outdoors and known to love it
2. It's got no bloody doors why insulate a tunnel ?

Vlad

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Les's brother had this built earlier in the year for their caravan......
Only they've just bought a mh & had to get the roof raised a foot
:confused:
They collect the mh next week:D
IMG_20151017_160941.jpg

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oh to have the land to be able to have something like your barns. One for our PVC and the other for all Ralph's work plant. ( diggers ,cement mixers ,scaffold etc etc.
It would save a fortune on paying storage and lock up fees.
I suppose you could use a jet wash in there , up on the roof too. To give the MH a good clean in all weathers.
Very envious.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I converted our double garage next to our bungalow into a "single" garage.View attachment 79924
knowing me, that would get built for the motorhome but end up a motorhome sized workshop. i keep forgetting i am retired now and dont want or need to start another business

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
IF any one else is thinking of doing this bear in mind that some car ports still require building regulations consent. They are exempt from this providing that they are less than 30m2 in floor area and are open on at least 2 sides. Any bigger and they require building regs. Same size applies to exempt garages.
The only exception is "agricultural buildings" which are exempt regardless of size.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Yes ,then you get the "change of use " application.......:whistle::D
That is more a planning thing - building regulations completely separate. I was trying to make people aware that even if planning is not required building regulations may be.

OP
OP
Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 664
Exp
Well, my theory that an open ended shed would be OK and keep the bulk of the weather out was proven wrong fairly quickly :xsad:

I have added an Electric Roller Shutter to one end (bizarre that an electric door is cheaper than a manual one). Much better now :xgrin:

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The concrete floor would cost £10000 around here .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back