Caravan & Camping Club - 3 nights minimum stay policy (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
The last few times I've looked to book at Keswick Club site, I've noted that there is a three night minimum stay policy. I've just spoken with the site re. a potential trip later this month, and been told that though they do waive this to two nights during October it is C & CC policy.

This I would suggest is not serving the need of motorhome owners like myself who like the freedom of moving on frequently - if I was happy to stay in one spot I'd have bought a caravan.

I'm planning to complain to the C & CC, with the prospect of terminating my membership if I don't get a satisfactory response, but before I do I thought I'd canvas the views of you lot. Do you agree with me? Or am I being unreasonable?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It tends to be weekends, sometimes a pitch is wasted as someone only wants One night.
You are better off speaking to the site directly for bookings.
They will be more flexible than the computer at central bookings.
It's still better than the caravan club, where members book several sites on the same weekend, as no deposit is requested, and then choose at the last minute, again, stopping others from booking up.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm planning to complain to the C & CC, with the prospect of terminating my membership if I don't get a satisfactory response

On the basis all the sites I want seem fully booked always, Keswick being one of them, they'll just say "so long, close the door when you leave".

Yes, it is a pain in the bum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not just the C&CC, this is common policy with commercial sites in peak periods .. and not just the UK

I see it from both angles.. the site don't want on a single night booking if someone else wants 3 or more..

I think there is a strong case for sites having overnight spots.. the same as CC have early arrival pitches at the gate.. also see that abroad.. an aire next to a site..

For single nights a CL / CS is probably the best

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
On the basis all the sites I want seem fully booked always, Keswick being one of them, they'll just say "so long, close the door when you leave".

Yes, it is a pain in the bum.

You're right of course, they won't lose much sleep over me leaving - but I did sort of hope that if I could get enough support on this forum for my views then maybe we could apply a little pressure?

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Not just the C&CC, this is common policy with commercial sites in peak periods .. and not just the UK

I see it from both angles.. the site don't want on a single night booking if someone else wants 3 or more..

I think there is a strong case for sites having overnight spots.. the same as CC have early arrival pitches at the gate.. also see that abroad.. an aire next to a site..

I could accept it more easily if it were just peak periods, but at Keswick at least it seems to be all year round. Overnight spots are OK, but I really want the option to book for one or two nights.

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Totally agree with you Touchwood. Why should I be dictated to, as to how many days (minimum) I can book? If I only wish to stay for one night, then why shouldn't I be allowed to do that? Another case of Rip off Britain comes to mind. That's one of the reasons we very rarely use CC, or CC&C Sites. Total rip off. It has nothing to do with their profits, just greed.Whether it's a Bank Holiday weekend or not. If I wish to stop for one night, then the other 2 nights should be free for someone else to book. Another thing comes to mind. The same goes for booking for Christmas and New Year Meals. The prices virtually double. Another big rip off. Let me explain.
I have a brother who lives in Germany. A few years ago the wife and I spent Christmas over there at my brother's place. We went out for a meal in a Greek Restaurant over the Christmas period.Did we have to pay extra ??? No, we didn't. We just paid the normal prices. I explained to my brother how we pay virtually double over the Festive Period over here. He looked at me, and simply said," If they tried to do that over here, nobody would go out for a meal over the Festive Period. Says it all, really, about Rip off Britain. We must just be glutten for punishment.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That has definitely done it then , never stay more than two nights anywhere, although must say I've never come across it as we don't use the campsites, you can even have two nights at haven , maybe one ,didn't try.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As far as the minimum number of nights policy goes, it's the same as any other business. All businesses sink or swim by their ability to attract customers and if their terms are wrong they will sink.

I agree that the 3 nights/5 nights minimum policy does not serve the needs of motorhome owners who like to move on after one or two nights but the C&CC as a business has to look at the whole picture. Previous posts seem to be saying that Keswick is difficult to book all year, which would indicate that the current policy is working and that changing it may actually result in less nights being booked in total. The Devil's Advocate in me asks "why should they change if that is the case?".

I wouldn't terminate my membership over that policy though, but that is because we retain our C&CC membership purely for the rallies/THSs (which are worth the membership fee alone) and occasional use of CSs. We've never used a C&CC main site.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

The CC "extra" pitches are for late arrivals rather than early arrivals aren't they? I thought they still officially discouraged arrivals before noon.

It would be nice to have overnight spots but I don't think there is a strong case for sites to provide them. If there were a sufficient market then sites (especially commercial ones with profit as their main aim) would be falling over themselves to provide them wouldn't they?

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
I agree that the 3 nights/5 nights minimum policy does not serve the needs of motorhome owners who like to move on after one or two nights but i wouldn't cancel our membership though through it. must say they have been a great club for us giving Amanda a free membership plus we both get our over 55yr consession .
We have also used their sites for just one night if we have been passing through the area usually by just dropping in at the site and asking if they could accomodate us for one night i have always had a back up site such as a cl site incase the answer has been no but to date we have always managed to get in :)
Kate

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
It's still better than the caravan club, where members book several sites on the same weekend, as no deposit is requested, and then choose at the last minute, again, stopping others from booking up.

I'm pretty sure that you can only book one site for each night with CC - in the past, I've accidentally tried to overlap bookings and been refused until I've realised what I'd done.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have a brother who lives in Germany. A few years ago the wife and I spent Christmas over there at my brother's place. We went out for a meal in a Greek Restaurant over the Christmas period.Did we have to pay extra ??? No, we didn't. We just paid the normal prices. I explained to my brother how we pay virtually double over the Festive Period over here. He looked at me, and simply said," If they tried to do that over here, nobody would go out for a meal over the Festive Period. Says it all, really, about Rip off Britain. We must just be glutten for punishment.

Yes ,they stick together, When the government introduced no smoking on train platforms no one smokers/non-smokers went to work until they backed down & introduced the 2m x2m painted box, allowing smoking.:LOL:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Totally agree with you Touchwood. Why should I be dictated to, as to how many days (minimum) I can book? If I only wish to stay for one night, then why shouldn't I be allowed to do that? Another case of Rip off Britain comes to mind. That's one of the reasons we very rarely use CC, or CC&C Sites. Total rip off. It has nothing to do with their profits, just greed.Whether it's a Bank Holiday weekend or not. If I wish to stop for one night, then the other 2 nights should be free for someone else to book. Another thing comes to mind. The same goes for booking for Christmas and New Year Meals. The prices virtually double. Another big rip off. Let me explain.
Surely it says more about Gullible Britain (or Britons) than Rip Off Britain doesn't it? If people are willing to pay higher prices even if they feel they are being overcharged then that is their fault isn't it? If Germans have the common sense to boycott restaurants which they feel are overcharging then why shouldn't British people have the same attitude? Their fault if they don't.
Do prices really double at Christmas and New Year or is it simply a matter of a different (higher cost) product being sold at a time when staffing costs are higher?

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Surely it says more about Gullible Britain (or Britons) than Rip Off Britain doesn't it? If people are willing to pay higher prices even if they feel they are being overcharged then that is their fault isn't it? If Germans have the common sense to boycott restaurants which they feel are overcharging then why shouldn't British people have the same attitude? Their fault if they don't.
Do prices really double at Christmas and New Year or is it simply a matter of a different (higher cost) product being sold at a time when staffing costs are higher?

So GJH, if you go and buy a pint of Milk, or a loaf of Bread in Asda, on a Sunday, should the price of Milk, or Bread go up, just because you buy it on a Sunday???
The Staffing costs in Germany, France, or wherever, will also go up over a festive period, just the same as over here, but their prices don't double

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
As far as the minimum number of nights policy goes, it's the same as any other business. All businesses sink or swim by their ability to attract customers and if their terms are wrong they will sink.

I agree that the 3 nights/5 nights minimum policy does not serve the needs of motorhome owners who like to move on after one or two nights but the C&CC as a business has to look at the whole picture. Previous posts seem to be saying that Keswick is difficult to book all year, which would indicate that the current policy is working and that changing it may actually result in less nights being booked in total. The Devil's Advocate in me asks "why should they change if that is the case?".

I wouldn't terminate my membership over that policy though, but that is because we retain our C&CC membership purely for the rallies/THSs (which are worth the membership fee alone) and occasional use of CSs. We've never used a C&CC main site.

Why call itself a CLUB then if its a business. I cancelled my membership after a year when they seemed to decide not to let you know the price until almost after you booked

Don't feel I am missing out on anything !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You're right of course, they won't lose much sleep over me leaving - but I did sort of hope that if I could get enough support on this forum for my views then maybe we could apply a little pressure?

Why not. Anyone got any ideas how we can stab them in the eye ? It's a sort of petition job. This looks like one for Jim.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So GJH, if you go and buy a pint of Milk, or a loaf of Bread in Asda, on a Sunday, should the price of Milk, or Bread go up, just because you buy it on a Sunday???
The Staffing costs in Germany, France, or wherever, will also go up over a festive period, just the same as over here, but their prices don't double
If a shop were operating differential pricing like that then I would probably go elsewhere. Having said that, if a local convenience store has longer opening hours I am perfectly happy to pay a higher price for goods if that is to my benefit.

Where are the instances of prices doubling? Which businesses actually double the prices of their menu items just because of the Christmas/New Year season? If prices are doubled, why do people pay them? Is it because they are stupid or because they recognise that they are actually paying for a service not available at other times of the year?

If businesses in Germany, France or wherever absorb the higher costs at that time of year is it because their charges are higher throughout the year?

Where is the evidence to back up these claims?
Why call itself a CLUB then if its a business. I cancelled my membership after a year when they seemed to decide not to let you know the price until almost after you booked

Don't feel I am missing out on anything !
The names of the CC and C&CC include the word "Club" for historical reasons but what is special about a club that means it should not be run along proper business lines. I would certainly find it unacceptable if any club (be it the CC, C&CC, a working men's club or any other sort of club) were not run on a proper business basis. Indeed, in the past I have caused ructions at a WMC by exposing amateurish methods.
It is obvious from their size and turnover that the CC and C&CC are big businesses and they have to be run as such. Expecting anything different just because their names still include the word "club" is simply naive.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why not. Anyone got any ideas how we can stab them in the eye ? It's a sort of petition job. This looks like one for Jim.
The usual - and factual - response from any club in these circumstances is that any member has a right to raise matters at meetings and to garner support from fellow members for change. The fact is, though, that very few members of clubs are willing to do so, either because they can't be bothered or because they are actually happy with the status quo.

I referred in my previous post to causing ructions at a WMC. That club had been virtually run as they liked by a set of long standing committee members who stayed in place because, although there were constant murmurings of complaint, nobody could be bothered to challenge them. That only changed when a small group of people managed to enlist sufficient support to elect a new chairman, thus removing a blockage to challenges (including petitions) about what had gone on in the past, the subsequent exposure of what had happened and the resignations/expulsions of certain people. Whether that is stabbing somebody in the eye I don't know :D

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
The names of the CC and C&CC include the word "Club" for historical reasons but what is special about a club that means it should not be run along proper business lines. I would certainly find it unacceptable if any club (be it the CC, C&CC, a working men's club or any other sort of club) were not run on a proper business basis. Indeed, in the past I have caused ructions at a WMC by exposing amateurish methods.
It is obvious from their size and turnover that the CC and C&CC are big businesses and they have to be run as such. Expecting anything different just because their names still include the word "club" is simply naive.

I agree, Graham, that a club needs to be run on proper business lines - but surely there is a difference? A business exists to make profit for its owners - it has customers and must take note of their needs and preferences, but it's not run for their benefit. A club, however, surely exists to function primarily for the benefit of its members? The C & CC purports to serve campers of all persuasions, including motorhomers, so in failing to take account of their needs it is not doing what it says on the box! The purpose of starting this thread was to ascertain how many forumites agree with my contention that a minimum stay does not accord with the way a substantial number of motorhomers like to spend their holidays - early days but it's looking as though most agree with at least that element of my argument.

It may well be, of course, that the C & CC is no longer a club by any reasonable measure - except by name - if that is the case then they're guilty of misrepresentation and false advertising, surely?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
U.K. Is vastly different than Germany and other eu country's in that you don't have a lot of choice, you either have to put up with it or stop at home, if everyone went to Europe instead of putting up with this rubbish they would perhaps think again, let's start a go to Europe thing going(y):)
Cheaper , pleasanter people , better food , better weather, stay one night, more of an adventure, you can just go on and on .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree, Graham, that a club needs to be run on proper business lines - but surely there is a difference? A business exists to make profit for its owners - it has customers and must take note of their needs and preferences, but it's not run for their benefit. A club, however, surely exists to function primarily for the benefit of its members? The C & CC purports to serve campers of all persuasions, including motorhomers, so in failing to take account of their needs it is not doing what it says on the box! The purpose of starting this thread was to ascertain how many forumites agree with my contention that a minimum stay does not accord with the way a substantial number of motorhomers like to spend their holidays - early days but it's looking as though most agree with at least that element of my argument.

It may well be, of course, that the C & CC is no longer a club by any reasonable measure - except by name - if that is the case then they're guilty of misrepresentation and false advertising, surely?
I don't dispute what you say Mike. The problem (if that is the right word) is, though, that in this country there are far more tent and caravan campers than motorhome campers. Sites, be they owned by clubs or not, have to try to cater for that full mix.

I don't know the proportion of motorhomers who like to move on every day or two to those who like to stay longer but our experience of rallies/meets indicates that there are plenty in the latter category. Perhaps any approach to the C&CC should be along the lines of asking them to check those proportions so that they can gauge how closely they meet those needs.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
U.K. Is vastly different than Germany and other eu country's in that you don't have a lot of choice, you either have to put up with it or stop at home, if everyone went to Europe instead of putting up with this rubbish they would perhaps think again, let's start a go to Europe thing going(y):)
Cheaper , pleasanter people , better food , better weather, stay one night, more of an adventure, you can just go on and on .
I wonder, then, how we have managed to enjoy every holiday we've had in our vans over the last 9 years or so ;):D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back