Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Drivers today seem to have forgortten some of the basic rules of the highway code, in order to be a good driver you need to drive your own vehicle and not bother about what others do around you. Easier said than done, we all have many pet hates regarding the rules so what is yours.
To start the ball rolling one of my pet hates are drivers turning right on duel carriageways from the left hand lane without indicating!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
On a very similar theme are the ones who, on a dual carriageway, drive in the outside lane. Similar to lane hoggers on motorways. Thus blocking anyone turning right or overtaking (which is what the outer lane is for) then when they come across someone legitamately using the lane to turn right cut across the traffic in the left hand lane to get back to the lane they should be in, forcing their way in. They are often seen pulling straight into the outside lane when passed their obstruction, even though there may be no traffic in the nearside lane. So annoying and probably causes more accidents than lane hogging on motorways, not to mention annoyance!

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Quote from above :-
"Drivers today seem to have forgotten some of the basic rules of the highway code, in order to be a good driver you need to drive your own vehicle and not bother about what others do around you."

We could not agree less. Being aware of what other drivers are doing around you and anticipating their stupidity is one of the attributes of a good driver.

The Tinca's

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Drivers today seem to have forgortten some of the basic rules of the highway code, in order to be a good driver you need to drive your own vehicle and not bother about what others do around you.

I have to disagree, one should always be aware of what is going on around you. Defensive driving involves being aware of what others are doing and negating any potential threat by taking action to avoid conflict. I find this essential particularly when driving our motorhome on the fairly narrow road network in Argyll. If, every driver had to undertake further driver training following the current test of minimum competence (driving test), the roads would be a lot safer.

My pet hates,
A)people who turn right into a side road but are to lazy or stupid to go past the centre line of the road they are turning into.

B) Inappropriate/unsafe and slow overtaking manoeuvre's

C) Inconsiderate driving.

D) People who use mini roundabouts to do a U turn. Which is also contrary to guidance in the Highway Code.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Tail-gating Arghhhh! And those with a £56k car, with every conceivable gadget, yet can't be bothered in indicate.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Quote from above :-
"Drivers today seem to have forgotten some of the basic rules of the highway code, in order to be a good driver you need to drive your own vehicle and not bother about what others do around you."

We could not agree less. Being aware of what other drivers are doing around you and anticipating their stupidity is one of the attributes of a good driver.

The Tinca's

I have to disagree, one should always be aware of what is going on around you. e.

Guys,, the post you are referring to has something called irony in it !
BigBusMan was basically taking the pee out of many of the so called 'drivers' who are on the roads now

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
My pet hate when going up a slip way onto dual carriageway and some numpty comes and takes your road. :swear2:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
When did the dotted line at the end of the slip roads onto motorways stop meaning give way and start to mean just push in? :mad:

You would get wiped out in Spain trying that....Busby.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Drivers today seem to have forgortten some of the basic rules of the highway code, in order to be a good driver you need to drive your own vehicle and not bother about what others do around you. Easier said than done, we all have many pet hates regarding the rules so what is yours.
To start the ball rolling one of my pet hates are drivers turning right on duel carriageways from the left hand lane without indicating!

On the contrary, Defensive driving techniques require you to be very much aware of what other drivers are doing, their road positioning etc so that you may anticipate and be prepared for what they may do in order to avoid placing yourself in a vulnerable position.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And another who does not really understand irony !!!

As to the OP..
People ( mainly in the UK ) who simply fail to get up to speed on the slip road to join traffic
I have lost count of the times an idiot has tried to join and then failing to reach traffic speed drops back and, when they DO eventually get on the carriageway, come past us giving abuse as if it was my fault !!!!
I would not mind if we traveled fast and made it hard for them,,, but with our speeds rarely ( really rarely ! ) exceeding 55mph AND the fact that they then come flying past us 2 minutes later with plenty of speed on board it seems to me they are just pig arrogant twonks.

On the flip side, if at all possible I will pull out a lane to allow big wheelers to come on the carriageway as they DO struggle to get up to speed

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I am not saying you should ignor other road users but basically not get wound up by them, true you are always going to get those drivers that seem to want to involve you in some way, usually taking your safe space but due to their unknown nowledge that you can't stop a 3 ton vehicle on a sixpence you have to try and make allowances for them.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I sit with the cruise control set on the motorways UK, autoroutes France. My car will go up hill and down dale happily with or without caravan (large swede AWD), sadly those that over take have a floppy foot and after getting in front of me dose off and it is necessary to pass them. Enter scalded rabbit or small penis syndrome and I am treated to them overtaking again and finally making a little progress until doze mode sets in again.

I am looking forward to using Helen the Hymer this coming year, she seems comfortable around the 55-60 mph area and as a mature old bird I dont intend to cane her. As I plod up some of the long drags on the autoroute I suspect the HGVs will be cursing as they pass me, though I was pleased with her in the lake district.

Drive defensively, always expect the worst and you will be happy and stress free. Remember the most important person in your life is you and you have only one life.

I get enormous pleasure having been overtaken by all types of "high performance vehicles" which have roared past me well in excess of the appropriate limit who have to do the whole thing all over again after the next peage as I have sailed through with my telepeage while they are sitting in the queue and messing with tickets and cards.

Sorry to go on so much....:france::imoutahere:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I hate Continental drivers, every time I go there, I met with horn blasting rude hand signals and flashing lights.
They are all bloody crazy! They all drive on the wrong side of the road! Madmen! Just madmen!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Sadly I didn't get on with my dad but one bit of advice he gave me that stuck and I've passed on to my kids is to treat everyone on the road as an idiot and consider yourself as the only sane driver out there and you might survive. :LOL:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
And another who does not really understand irony !!!

As to the OP..
People ( mainly in the UK ) who simply fail to get up to speed on the slip road to join traffic
I have lost count of the times an idiot has tried to join and then failing to reach traffic speed drops back and, when they DO eventually get on the carriageway, come past us giving abuse as if it was my fault !!!!
I would not mind if we traveled fast and made it hard for them,,, but with our speeds rarely ( really rarely ! ) exceeding 55mph AND the fact that they then come flying past us 2 minutes later with plenty of speed on board it seems to me they are just pig arrogant twonks.

On the flip side, if at all possible I will pull out a lane to allow big wheelers to come on the carriageway as they DO struggle to get up to speed

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'll always move over if I can , even though I am only travelling at 50mph, but when it isn't physically possible & you are faced with a slip road of vehicles, nose to tail, attempting to enter the motorway when there isn't anywhere for them to go , What do you do ? You can't slow down as you are also in a crocodile & although it may be possible to let one in , dozens aren't going to be able. Common problem on the M4 when I was over this year.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I am generally quite laid back when it comes to bad drivers but I do hate people who overtake (undertake?) on the inside on motorways. Oh, and people don't seem to like to use their indicators any more.

Paul

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
well, having been taught from when I started by professional and expert drivers (MOD, Police & Fire service instructors), I hate with a passion, both lazy drivers and those with no concept of other road users. We have all seen them, the idiots that just aim and accelerate expecting everything else to get out of their way. It all comes down to roadcraft. some people were lucky to be taught it or learn it from many hours of driving different vehicles, others just about learnt to pass a scripted test and subsequently then forgot everything they had been forced to learn

take motorways for instance, and observe the high number of people competing to drive at or above the speed limit. Hacking along at 75mph and leaving it till the last second and braking hard as the come up behind a slower vehicle. then as they get clear, foot flat to the floor to rocket back up to their target speed. no concept at all that other drivers are likely to move out in front of them, and they cause chaos. the stress this causes these bad drivers is nearly the same as the stress they put on their vehicles

In a perfect world, everyone would drive courteously and safely and this would prevent the majority of collisions. Note I didnt say accidents, because I was taught that accidents rarely happen and there is nearly always a poorly trained driver or drivers, or faulty vehicle that causes a collision that could otherwise have been avoided

I like the advice of expecting every other driver to be stupid and out to cause an accident, then be happy that they prove you wrong.

this evening on my way home a signwritten builders van was snaking along the road, drifting from the curb across to over the centre dividing line. eventually I slipped past the van on a stretch of dual carriagway and the muppet driving it had some sort of paperwork on the steering wheel that he was focusing on whilst attempting to drive. where is a traffic police officer when you need one? oh, now I remember, due to budget cuts, our local force now only have a couple

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Drivers on their phone is bad enough but drivers who have paid a squillion quids for the car but still have the latest bloody bling phone clamped to their ear instead of using the built in bluetooth wind me up but as they have more chance of winning the lottery than being pulled by the nearly non existent police it will never stop it :mad:

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I think I want a BMW because these drivers have no fear, their cars are so brilliant that they can do well over the speed limit in fog snow and ice and they are so fuel efficient because they can use the drag from the vehicle in front, ok they need to be inches from the bumper buy hey who cares as their brakes are super powerful but best of all the switches are easy to operate, the headlight flasher works so well and the drivers window drops in a flicker, needed so you can put your arm out to thank other drivers who have finally pulled over having been holding you up for the last mile. I may want one but I can't have one because I am not a salesman and I don't have a tan!! :tounge:

I have a spade and I know how to use it :rock:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When did the dotted line at the end of the slip roads onto motorways stop meaning give way and start to mean just push in? :mad:
Whilst I agree with the sentiment the worst possible scenario is a stationary vehicle attempting to enter a motorway. Using slip-roads sensibly requires the incoming vehicle to match his speed to an anticipated gap that will be travelling at around 60mph. So it makes total sense to accelerate hard down the sliproad to a similar speed and then, on final approach, adjust speed so that slipping into the gap doesn't cause inconvenience to vehicles already on the motorway. For their part the vehicles already on the motorway should be leaving gaps that suit the braking distance at motorway speed. Such a gap will allow entry for a vehicle from the sliproad and briefly easing the right foot will allow the safe distance to be maintained. In an ideal world :rolleyes:.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
The dotted line at the end of a slip road onto a motorway has NEVER meant give way. It is a lane recognition line. A give way line is TWO dotted lines, along with a triangular sign that states 'Give Way'.

Craig

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
A slip road is for traffic to get up to speed with the traffic on the motorway, then 'merge' with the moving traffic. However, some folk won't allow traffic in, and some members of the middle lane owners club won't allow the 1st lane traffic to move over allowing the merging traffic in. Bad driving, and inconsiderate driving, brasses me off!

Craig

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Was not going to comment , BUT the people who hear a two-tone horn behind , slow down and STOP at a traffic island blocking everything. Fully loaded Fire Engine take a bit of stopping in that situation, and when they still sit there even getting a strong hint from behind is unforgivable. Probably never given instruction as to what to actually do in that scenario.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
A slip road is for traffic to get up to speed with the traffic on the motorway, then 'merge' with the moving traffic. However, some folk won't allow traffic in, and some members of the middle lane owners club won't allow the 1st lane traffic to move over allowing the merging traffic in. Bad driving, and inconsiderate driving, brasses me off!

Craig
Second this my pet hate middle lane hogs one speed and no consideration for others.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back