Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I was just having an idle flick through eBay when I came across this:-

Broken Link Removed

Clearly a scam as that van is worth at least three to four times the asking price, but I thought I'd post it out of general interest.

I have screen-shot the ad below (as the link will be taken down soon enough), and also the "seller's" other itmes - 21 (21!!!!!) assorted vans, motorhomes, boats and agricultural machinery all at crazy cheap prices, weirdly classified ads with no "buy it now" button, I presume the scamster has hacked the account but not the payment mechanism. Some poor geezer clearly spent a lot of time on their "rep" too.

1995 Hymer for £3650 anyone?

upload_2015-10-19_8-54-17.png

other items:-

upload_2015-10-19_8-53-32.png

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
sad isn't it..

the scammers give eBay a bad reputation.. when in fact the vast majority are honest traders..

the old adage has never been truer.. "if it looks to good to be true... it probably isn't"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It may well be a scam but is the price that far out? Here is one a couple of years older going for not much money at all, although the auction still has a few hours left to run.

Broken Link Removed

And they will even deliver it for £3.30! So is this one a scam too?

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
It may well be a scam but is the price that far out? Here is one a couple of years older going for not much money at all, although the auction still has a few hours left to run.

Broken Link Removed

That doesn't look like a scam, but I would say that that van would usually go for around £8-9k, even the 1980s petrol ones go for over £4k

I expect that the owner is kicking him or herself that they advertised it in "everything else; other" rather than campervans and motorhomes where someone might see the ad if they were looking for a motorhome... no reserve too, look like someone will get a bargain

screen shot for future readers:-

upload_2015-10-19_12-16-50.png

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That doesn't look like a scam, but I would say that that van would usually go for around £8-9k, even the 1980s petrol ones go for over £4k

I expect that the owner is kicking him or herself that they advertised it in "everything else; other" rather than campervans and motorhomes where someone might see the ad if they were looking for a motorhome... no reserve too, look like someone will get a bargain

screen shot for future readers:-

View attachment 79812
Probably having the auction finish on a Monday isn't a good idea either - but that is a debatable subject. :)

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Probably having the auction finish on a Monday isn't a good idea either - but that is a debatable subject. :)

I don't know whether it makes a real difference, but if it's a "bloke" item I always try and list it to finish between 7.30-8.00pm when the soaps are on telly, or if it's a "girly" item on Saturday afternoon around 5.00pm when the kids are back from their parties and the footie results are on... (c:

And no internal photos - but the listing refers to them?

That would certainly stop me from bidding, although at that price... (although I don't think I really want two 25 year old MoHos...?)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I don't know whether it makes a real difference, but if it's a "bloke" item I always try and list it to finish between 7.30-8.00pm when the soaps are on telly, or if it's a "girly" item on Saturday afternoon around 5.00pm when the kids are back from their parties and the footie results are on... (c:

That would certainly stop me from bidding, although at that price... (although I don't think I really want two 25 year old MoHos...?)

Wow that's deeply deep:)

Deleted User

Broken Link Removed

I think it is a scam. There are numerous scams on Gumtree and a common factor is that they 'hide' an email address within the photos of the vehicle which is what they have done on this ebay listing.

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
But is now listed by a different user - Broken Link Removed

Good spot!

my gut feeling is that this is a genuine sale and the user pulled it because the bids weren't reaching what he wanted, so the "no reserve" bit isn't genuine.

i maintain that he'd get a better response if he listed it in the correct section...

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
And what is wrong with a 25 year old van.

Absolutely nothing! I spent a month in mine this summer, ten days with the mem-sahib and the rest flying solo, and i couldn't ask for anying more, but I don't want two...

(actually I did put it on eBay with thoughts of "upgrading", then withdrew it...)

I have had it from new

Now THAT is impressive!

I don't think todays vans will last that long.(y):ROFLMAO:

Future classics! VW Type 1's don't have a monopoly (c:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
trying to keep it going. my son said it comes to him, when I kick the bucket.

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
trying to keep it going. my son said it comes to him, when I kick the bucket.

Your son as better taste than mine, mine refuses to be seen in it although I think his tune may change when he wants to spend a couple of months touring Europe next year...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We live and learn :( I never associated the auctions with the scammers, I thought it was mainly classified ads.

Caveat Emptor, as ever!
It threw me as well as I thought they always had a buy it now option. Running a full auction must increased the chances of someone wanting to come and see it. Perhaps they are changing tactics?

I sold a bike rack last week and the buyer has paid me twice. I spoke to PayPal and they have told me the first payment can't be cancelled if I refund the second but checking on PayPal's website it does describe how payments can be cancelled! I'm not sure what to do other than wait a week before refunding him.

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Running a full auction must increased the chances of someone wanting to come and see it.

Exactly this! And the chances of it transpiring that they are in Lagos and not Neasden as advertised...

I sold a bike rack last week and the buyer has paid me twice.

Keep the money and tell him, from my dear old (Yorkshire) mum, "a bit o' bought knowledge is best"

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Why do you believe this listing to be a scam? The seller has 284 sales already and has 100% positive feedback..

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Scams are increasingly difficult to spot unfortunately.

I live down a lane where there are lots of houses with long drives and post-boxes; recently some of the neighbours found a couple of dodgy geezers in a smart car checking the mail boxes - turns out they were applying for credit cards using the addresses of properties then intercepting the cards!

On a lighter note, you have to love eBay's "on-sell" algorithm, checking the relisted link above gives me this:-

upload_2015-10-20_9-47-38.png

So if you can't have a Motorhome, get a sweatshirt (or mayne a t-shirt for warmer climes...)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Why do you believe this listing to be a scam? The seller has 284 sales already and has 100% positive feedback..
Because its a different seller to the original time this picture appeared. I guess someone's account has been hacked.

Deleted User
it is possible to 'buy' an account with positive feedback and use it for scams

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back