BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
I have a little sticker on my door that says my tyre presher should be 79 psi is that about right it seems high to me I'm running at 60 psi at moment my van is p/boxer autocruse 3.400 ton what do u guys run at ?

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We have a swift bolero (3.5ton) and run on 80psi so about the same as you. I was shocked when I first saw it too. :Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As advised in the Hymer hand book
5.5 bar (79 psi) all round .. MAM 4,000kg

Tyre size 215/75 R16 Load index 113/111N

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
After you have been to the weighbridge and have true figures for both axles when you are fully loaded, get in touch with the tyre manufacturer quoting the axle weights and see what they recommend.

The plate in ours is for the base vehicle running with a van body and van tyres. Continental gave us lower recommended tyre pressures and now we are using those the ride is much much better. I'm sure there is information in the resources section on this.

Yep here is a link: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/tyres-continental-225-75-r16-cp-116r.142/

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
This is an old 'chesnut' on MotorhomeFun and you will receive many varied replies. I have a Fiat PVC max 3.5 and I took advice from Continental, they sent me a fact sheet and advised using actual axle weight as appropriate. Here is acopy of the sheet the engineer sent if it is of any use to you. By the way I run at 55 front 60 rear and the ride is MUCH more comfortable and the tyres lasted for 30000 miles on the front with even wear (back only half worn)
gctyres.jpg

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I had the tyres on my 4t Apache set at 79 and had two tyres blow at sixty mph now set at 69 and running fine and now get an extra two miles per gallon

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Hi Chockswahay
Do you have the Continental recommendation for 225/75 R16 please?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We have a swift bolero (3.5ton) and run on 80psi so about the same as you. I was shocked when I first saw it too. :Eeek:
We run on Continental winter tyres on our Bolero - weight uprated to 3850kg - and on advice from Continental use 54 psi front and 65 psi rear. They actually look a little under-inflated when fully loaded but have been using these numbers for 4/5 years with no problems and acceptable, even tyre wear (you can't expect fantastic mileage from winter tyres used all the year round but I'm happy).

Fitted TyrePal last year before going to Morocco and monitored the temps - all within normal limits.

At 80psi ours was skittish and the ride was , well, firm!

OP
OP
BONZO

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
I think I will run at 65psi all round iv been running at60psi fot 4years now and had no problems I don't want to feel every bump in our lovely roads lol .thank you for your input it has reassured me . John n Linda

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I ran ours at the sticker pressure for about fifty miles, 1st I had my fillings checked, 2nd cleared the smashed crockery out of the cupboards, 3rd lowered the pressure :LOL:
60psi front, 65psi rear, 2bar in the air suspension.(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It does depend on the make of tyre you have. Fairly easy with Continental but don't assume other makes should run at the same pressures. The only way is to consult the tyre manufacturer.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It does depend on the make of tyre you have.

Never heard that before..

I stand to be corrected.. but always thought that for any given tyre size, identical size and ratings, (on the same application) the pressures would be the same, irrespective of manufacturer.

Correct tyre pressures are generally determined by the vehicle manufacturer

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Never heard that before..

I stand to be corrected.. but always thought that for any given tyre size, identical size and ratings, (on the same application) the pressures would be the same, irrespective of manufacturer.

Correct tyre pressures are generally determined by the vehicle manufacturer
I used to think that too, but then I learned about the recommendations from Continental which for my PVC are much lower than the handbook says. On my 225/75 R16 C tyres the handbook says 5.2 bar front and rear. Continental say 3.25 bar - a massive difference. I've now done several thousand miles with them on the lower setting and they are fine with no abnormal wear patterns which might suggest under-inflation. At 5.2 bar you could tell if a penny was heads or tails if you ran over it but at 3.25 bar it is much more comfortable.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
For ours 225/75 16R the fiat book says 5.5 bar front & rear, continental recommend front 3.75 bar rear 5.5 bar, will give that a trial.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The weight of a car doesn't change all that much between driver only & fully laden. Some car manufacturers give fully laden and driver only pressures, some just the one set.

Commercial vehicles are rather different. The base vehicle leaving the original manufactured is frequently further modified & may enter service with a range of actual weights that differ from the maximum design weight of the original manufacturer. Motorhomes being a good example. My Fiat Ducato LWB Maxi body has a design weight something in excess of 4 tonnes - I can't remember the exact figure. But as converted, it has a MIRO of 3.04T & a MAM of 3.5T. All Fiat can do is give the recommended pressures for the tyres they fit at the design weight - they don't know that it will never reach those weights.

I haven't seen any tyre makers pressure/axle weight tables for car tyres, but they certainly exist for van & truck tyres. I have the tables for both Pirelli & Continental van tyres.

Interestingly, comparing the figures for 225/70 R 16 CP - the camper tyres from both makers, the pressures they give for the various axle weights are identical - almost. Pirelli only quote a single set of figures, while Continental differentiate between front & rear axle. Their rear axle pressures are higher than the Pirelli figures, the fronts are the same as Pirelli, although Pirelli do say that the pressure should be increased for rear wheel drive use.

At my actual axle loadings when close to MAM, the pressure figures are markedly lower than the Fiat maximum load figures. Fiat suggest 5.5 bar, but Pirelli & Continental both suggest 3.0 at the front & 4.0 rear. Hardly surprising when I'm carrying around a tonne less than Fiat are allowing for. At 5.5 bar the tyres would be good for a MAM of about 4.8T.

OP
OP
BONZO

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Iv had my van 4years and only just realised iv got air suspension lol so iv put 25 in one side and 30 in the other as my van has never sat right but now it dose we will be abele to sleep at the right end of the bed now we are level. I'm so happy we have these little chats ..John n Linda

Reactions: CWH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back