Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
we were not 100% happy with our set up as batteries dropping to around 2/3 power and just below 12v by late evening and invertor struggling with heavy loads , replaced both batteries with new 110ah, replaced invertor with 1400w (2500w peak ) unit and now well pleased panels ( around 260w ) working great usually around 15a charge in sunlight not able to store all their generated output as batteries not dischaging anywhere like the old ones , inverter able to run all the wifes hairdryers, etc, we lost use of gas water heater and were able to run the mains side of heater from invertor , 10 days with no hook up and no need to run van engine for power , excellent now well pleased

sirhandel

Free Member
Nov 28, 2008
Chippenham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we were not 100% happy with our set up as batteries dropping to around 2/3 power and just below 12v by late evening and invertor struggling with heavy loads , replaced both batteries with new 110ah, replaced invertor with 1400w (2500w peak ) unit and now well pleased panels ( around 260w ) working great usually around 15a charge in sunlight not able to store all their generated output as batteries not dischaging anywhere like the old ones , inverter able to run all the wifes hairdryers, etc, we lost use of gas water heater and were able to run the mains side of heater from invertor , 10 days with no hook up and no need to run van engine for power , excellent now well pleased

That's quite a setup. We recently attended a rally with no EHU and the hab battery was struggling after a couple of days so we are having a 126w panel + extra 90AH battery + battery master fitted in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
good luck , if you get it right you will be more than happy with solar as a clean noise free power source that will pay for itself time over and also be a clean quite power source, why find a lovely quite spot to stay and have to fire up generators or run the van for power , we had a van pull up by us last week and run the engine until 3am for power , i class this as totally crap and no i should not move on as i was not the one being a pain, be considerate to people around you i say

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
replaced both batteries with new 110ah,

Could I ask what make of battery you choose ???

One make that is often quoted is Elecsol (Or something similar!) the company offers good service and replaces any that are faulty without question, but that happens a bit too often and it's still a pain having to order replacements, even if they are FOC

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
elecsols are great... if you get a good un, i had a good un that lasted almost 8 years, the last 2 of them starting the van,

i'm leaning towards a couple of the 270AH elecsols when i get the money to replace the batteries i have, which are normal flooded lead acids, and sulphated up to hell.... which is something elecsols dont do due to the carbon fibre matting that holds the paste onto the plates.

at the moment it's only my solar panels that keep us going, as long as we get a sunny day, we can last another day, but get 2 cloudy/rainy days, and were stuffed, but with good batteries i know we can last almost 5 days on battery power alone, so the solar panels ensure that is indefinately.

falcon

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
solar ac

that sounds like a great system . so with a smaller van as I have (Avondale Seascape on a Fiat Ducato), a 170w panel and 1k inverter from two 85Ah batteries it should work. That is what I had planned.

My question to you guys is. Do I simply connect the inverter circuit to the hookup socket and leave it like that. If I want to hook up at any time, would I need to isolate the inverter link?

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
My question to you guys is. Do I simply connect the inverter circuit to the hookup socket and leave it like that. If I want to hook up at any time, would I need to isolate the inverter link?

Once you start getting to this level, you need to either get professional advice or educate yourself to the point where you understand your system. A forum like this is a good source for certain information but without exact details of your system, I can't see anyone giving you the sort of detailed advice you should get.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
My set up is a 130 w Solar Panel + 2 x 110 Ah Batteries. I have TV with Sky and have never run out of power. But then I don't use an inverter. Every thing is 12 volt, and low wattage lighting. Example = 4 static nights at Stratford show, overcast sky and rain, yet batteries charged by mid day.

Don

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
that sounds like a great system . so with a smaller van as I have (Avondale Seascape on a Fiat Ducato), a 170w panel and 1k inverter from two 85Ah batteries it should work. That is what I had planned.

one thing i can see at fault.......if you connect the inverter to the EHU socket which means you are charging the batteries via the mains charger to run the inverter to charge the batteries to run the inverter to cha......and so on.....unless you turn the charger off.

the charger circuit will take more from the batteries via inverter than the inverter will put back in via the charger.....if you know what i mean:Confused:

easiest way to connect to the 230v 'house' sockets is via a flex cable from the inverter with a blue 16amp europlug on it.

plug into the vans 230v EHU socket, maybe routed through a locker door,......you wont forget to isolate the inverter then as you must remove the (inverter)plug to plug in the site EHU lead.

now im confusing myself.....

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Papa thats the system I use, with a switch to isolate the charger. As you say fool proof, needs to be with me. ::bigsmile:

Hi Falcon Some inverters can sense when you connect up to EHU and turn themselves off, so can be permanently connected in to your mains side, but most can't.

Olley

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Papa thats the system I use, with a switch to isolate the charger. As you say fool proof, needs to be with me. ::bigsmile:

Hi falcon Some inverters can sense when you connect up to EHU and turn themselves off, so can be permanently connected in to your mains side, but most can't.

Olley

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i just wire the inverter to the batteries then extension lead from there as a trailing socket . seems easiest. plug in fridge, have 3 spare sockets for other things as neccesary. plus a spare socket on inverter. never used ehu since fitting it 9 years ago .wouldnt fit one again put the money towards solar pays for itself.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I am rather jealous of all of you with acres of space for huge solar panels. My Renault Master PVC could only manage a panel of 80W.

So it's 80W solar plus 2x110 Ahr batteries for me.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Oldun I have the same set up as you on my Rv
The roofs big enough but my wallet's not:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.