Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
As owning a auto self seeking powered sat system is out owing to cost I've been thinking of getting a roof mounted crank up one instead.

What's the best out there and are they easy to use?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Cost of automatic have fallen through the floor... Does anyone still bother with these? A few friends have bought snipe recently and these are £575

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For my sins , in 2007 I fitted a Maxview crank-up.. it wasn't difficult to use.. but had a lot of problems with the crank mechanism.. even had the Maxview man come and look at it.. there was a long thread about it.. have a search..
they may have improved..

There are a couple of German models that get good reports.. but frankly.. for the same or less money, as the judge said, you can buy the Snipe. I wouldn't buy another manual crank-up when you can have auto.

.. but I had enough of crank-ups.. and stand alone dishes.. been there.. so thought I'd treat myself.. I bought and fitted an Broken Link Removed supplied by Broken Link Removed @eddievanbitz together with a Broken Link Removed

It was a snap to install, glue to the roof.. drill a hole for the cables.. and literally 'plug and play' .. it came with everything required for a DIY install.. including the Sikaflex ..

Top quality kit.. and it works great, used it all the way to south of France this year, (well my daughter did) no problems.. .. she said it was easy to use.. :LOL: and am really pleased with it.. comes with a lifetime guarantee..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
For my sins , in 2007 I fitted a Maxview crank-up.. it wasn't difficult to use.. but had a lot of problems with the crank mechanism.. even had the Maxview come and look at it.. there was a long thread about it.. have a search..
they may have improved..
Seconded.
Our last van had the Maxview crank-up. The crank mechanism was barely fit for purpose. I also recall that folding it flat after use wasn't always easy.
A Snipe from ebay costs little more than the Maxview.
I'm sure that installation would be no more difficult and the Snipe would certainly be quicker and easier to use.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I have a camos crank up system, fitted 6 years ago. Never let me down, crank is fine. I ignore the dual, just got the hang of how much elevation is needed and use a compass to point it the right way. Used an app on the phone once, found it easier with my compass. Folds down low on the roof. No electronics or reprogramming.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Di
I have a camos crank up system, fitted 6 years ago. Never let me down, crank is fine. I ignore the dual, just got the hang of how much elevation is needed and use a compass to point it the right way. Used an app on the phone once, found it easier with my compass. Folds down low on the roof. No electronics or reprogramming.
Ditto, had the same and for about the same length of time with no problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back